XBox One Controller Support?

Technical discussion of development of third-party apps.
iamart86
Rookie

Postby iamart86 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Hey guys,

So I have a XBox One controller and Windows 10. Was wondering if there is a way to get this work where the icons show up? Maybe a way to trick it into thinking it's a XBox 360 controller?

Thanks,

Art

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gridiron
MVP

Re: XBox One Controller Support?

Postby Gridiron » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:23 am

iamart86 wrote:Hey guys,

So I have a XBox One controller and Windows 10. Was wondering if there is a way to get this work where the icons show up? Maybe a way to trick it into thinking it's a XBox 360 controller?

Thanks,

Art

Yes there will eventually be a way, but it will only be made known after a lot of research.

Methinks that M$ might have published the specifications, but it might be a frustrating and expensive way to go from scratch developing a driver to detect the signals emitted by the gamepad and map them to the XBOX driver that MADDEN likes.

Fortunately that functionality has already been developed.... 8-) https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce

Unfortunately MADDEN NFL 08 is such a strange beast, that it seems some (unknown) tweak is needed to the x360ce controller driver to make it work.

Good luck on solving that problem.
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

calhoupe
All-Pro

Postby calhoupe » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:36 pm

There's a simple solution for this.
1. Win+R to open Run command
2. Type "regedit" into the dialog box and click OK
3. Navigate through the registry to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM
4. Click on each VID_xxxx@PID_xxxx folder (x=number) until you find one whose OEMName key reads XBOX ONE
5. Double Click OEM Name and replace "XBOX ONE" or whatever it exactly reads with "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" without quotes.
6, Exit out of the Registry and reconnect Xbox One controller.
7. Start Madden. Madden should now see the Xbox One controller as an Xbox 360 Controller.

iamart86
Rookie

Postby iamart86 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:07 am

calhoupe wrote:There's a simple solution for this.
2. Type "regedit" into the dialog box and click OK
3. Navigate through the registry to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM
4. Click on each VID_xxxx@PID_xxxx folder (x=number) until you find one whose OEMName key reads XBOX ONE
5. Double Click OEM Name and replace "XBOX ONE" or whatever it exactly reads with "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" without quotes.
6, Exit out of the Registry and reconnect Xbox One controller.
7. Start Madden. Madden should now see the Xbox One controller as an Xbox 360 Controller.

This worked! Only one issue, the LT button is buggy and keeps flipping the plays. My controller is fine nor stuck so not sure what it's doing that.

calhoupe
All-Pro

Postby calhoupe » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:39 am

This worked! Only one issue, the LT button is buggy and keeps flipping the plays. My controller is fine nor stuck so not sure what it's doing that.

I'm wondering if you need to calibrate the controller in Windows. The LT/RT buttons are actually an axis and not buttons.

Finding the calibration settings for controllers is harder in Windows 10 but it's there.

2. Type "control printers" into the dialog box and click OK
3. Right Click on your Controller and select Game Controller Settings
4. Your Xbox One controller will be displayed as an Xbox 360 controller if you followed my directions from the earlier post. Select that controller and click Properties.
5. Then select the Settings tab and click Calibrate.
6. After calibrating the controller click on the Test tab and make sure everything works as you expect.
7. Click OK and start Madden and see if that solves your problem.

iamart86
Rookie

Postby iamart86 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:32 pm

calhoupe wrote:

I'm wondering if you need to calibrate the controller in Windows. The LT/RT buttons are actually an axis and not buttons.

Finding the calibration settings for controllers is harder in Windows 10 but it's there.

2. Type "control printers" into the dialog box and click OK
3. Right Click on your Controller and select Game Controller Settings
4. Your Xbox One controller will be displayed as an Xbox 360 controller if you followed my directions from the earlier post. Select that controller and click Properties.
5. Then select the Settings tab and click Calibrate.
6. After calibrating the controller click on the Test tab and make sure everything works as you expect.
7. Click OK and start Madden and see if that solves your problem.

Nope, everything looks fine in the testing tab, but when I get in game it's still doing the flip play thing. I have to hold LT down to select a play. :(

calhoupe
All-Pro

Postby calhoupe » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:52 pm

That's odd. I haven't had any issues using my Xbox one controller with madden.

Did you ever install other drivers besides the Microsoft drivers for this controller or your 360 controller?

iamart86
Rookie

Postby iamart86 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:35 pm

calhoupe wrote:That's odd. I haven't had any issues using my Xbox one controller with madden.

Did you ever install other drivers besides the Microsoft drivers for this controller or your 360 controller?

I think I did install the xbox 360 drivers before I joined the forums, would that be an issue? Can't seem to find the driver now to uninstall it though.

calhoupe
All-Pro

Postby calhoupe » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:15 pm

You should uninstall any xbox 360 drivers; especially the TocaEdit Xbox 360 Controller Emulator or x360ce drivers and program if you have that installed.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:49 am

iamart86 wrote:
calhoupe wrote:That's odd. I haven't had any issues using my Xbox one controller with madden.

I think I did install the xbox 360 drivers before I joined the forums, would that be an issue? Can't seem to find the driver now to uninstall it though.

On my system I'd remove it by selecting :
Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories 1.2
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

Return to “Development”