How to change when players retire

Technical discussion of development of third-party apps.
jedi4hire
All-Pro

Postby jedi4hire » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:28 pm

I figured out how to change what age players of a certain postion retire. It's controlled by the PLRP table in DB_TEMPLATES.dat

NAME: meaning, explanation
PLRP: PLayer Retirement by Position
RERA: REtirement RAnge maybe, controls what age players retire at.
PAGE: Player AGE, controls when players start regressing.
PPOS: Player POSition, lists all twenty-one of madden's positions.

While PAGE is as simple as putting in the number you want, RERA goes from 0 to 15 with each higher number causing players to retire sooner. Here's the results I got from many seasons of testing.The reason for the minimun and maximum age getting stretched out so much is due to the method I used and normally there will be less players if any staying in the League that long.

Code: Select all

RERA   low   most   high
00      39   40/41   42
01      39   40/41   42
02      39   40/41   42
03      35   37-41   42
04      33   36-40   42
05      32   34-37   41
06      31   33-37   40
07      29   32-36   40
08      29   30-36   40
09      28   30-35   39
10      28   29-34   38
11      28   29-33   38
12      27   28-32   38
13      27   28-30   38
14      27   28/29   38
15      27   27-29   38

After I was done mapping out the different numbers I arranged things to try and get close to realistic results. This is how I had the PLRP set up with the age most players retired for each position listed next to it. There was a steady amount of retiring one year before or after the listed range of numbers, but rarely more than that. OVR is the second biggest factor for retirement, and quarterback by far showed the biggest difference between higher and lower rated players.

One more thing to note is that I did several different tests on whether YEARS PRO affects retirement and can say for certain that it doesn't.

Hopefully other people will take this and test different things on there own. And what I really want to know from other people is the ideal realistic age each position should start regressing/retire.
"Our vegetables are hand tossed through a cascade of water and chopped in mid air"

Browns customer service
Why the browns Don't have a website
they can't string three W's together :cry:

When the Browns win the Super Bowl?
close Madden :roll:

Sponsor

Sponsor

Raston
MVP

Re: How to change when players retire

Postby Raston » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Good work! I agree with most of your input except for a few of the players which I'd like to see play a few years longer. I'll do some playing around with the figures and see how it plays out. Something else I'd like to edit if we can find it is the abilities of rookies coming into the league. Some of the rookie QB's have better stats than 50% of the active QB's.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:09 pm

I think that the table is out dated. Look most players now train year round. I think that the retirement age should be at the age of 38, there are some players playing into their 40's. But most since the allowance of Juniors coming out at 22-23, you are seeing longer careers at some positions. It is something to think about.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

jedi4hire
All-Pro

Postby jedi4hire » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 am

BUS36 wrote:I think that the table is out dated. Look most players now train year round. I think that the retirement age should be at the age of 38, there are some players playing into their 40's. But most since the allowance of Juniors coming out at 22-23, you are seeing longer careers at some positions. It is something to think about.

Last year there was only twenty-one players over the age of thirty-five: 3 quarterbacks, 1 wide receiver, 1 guard, 1 center, 1 long-snapper,3 defensive ends, 1 outside linebacker, 1 cornerback, 1 safety, 6 kickers, 2 punters. As you can see most of these players are quarterbacks, kickers, or punters.

However, this is definitely just a starting point to give some idea of what numbers give what results. Feedback from people on when they think players should retire at each position would be great.

Raston wrote:Something else I'd like to edit if we can find it is the abilities of rookies coming into the league. Some of the rookie QB's have better stats than 50% of the active QB's.

I'd love to see that happen and would be willing to help work on it, but it should probably be discussed in a new thread. :)
"Our vegetables are hand tossed through a cascade of water and chopped in mid air"

Browns customer service

Raston
MVP

Postby Raston » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:39 pm

I agree with Bus, for some positions the age might be increased to 38 max. The overall average age is 35 in real life though from what I've read. I think the QB's, K's, and possibly P's should have the ability to play to 42 because there have been some who played that long. That's not to say that those players will play to 42. I've yet to get Vinatieri to not retire next season with his age set at 41. Also, their stats shouldn't regress so fast as they do with again Vinatieri as an example or Brady or Manning or even Favre. From what I've seen of the regression for those players in the following year is too much in my opinion. Dropping from 93 to 87 THP in one year as an example. Of course it'll be a fine balancing act to not have other players stay longer than they should.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Raston wrote:I agree with Bus, for some positions the age might be increased to 38 max. The overall average age is 35 in real life though from what I've read. I think the QB's, K's, and possibly P's should have the ability to play to 42 because there have been some who played that long. That's not to say that those players will play to 42. I've yet to get Vinatieri to not retire next season with his age set at 41. Also, their stats shouldn't regress so fast as they do with again Vinatieri as an example or Brady or Manning or even Favre. From what I've seen of the regression for those players in the following year is too much in my opinion. Dropping from 93 to 87 THP in one year as an example. Of course it'll be a fine balancing act to not have other players stay longer than they should.

I always have to manually modify player regression as it happens too soon and in very large and unrealistic numbers each season. Also, I say move kickers to 42, put quarterbacks at 39 or 40, and figure the rest out later.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

jedi4hire
All-Pro

Postby jedi4hire » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:04 pm

RevanFan wrote:
Raston wrote:I agree with Bus, for some positions the age might be increased to 38 max. The overall average age is 35 in real life though from what I've read. I think the QB's, K's, and possibly P's should have the ability to play to 42 because there have been some who played that long. That's not to say that those players will play to 42. I've yet to get Vinatieri to not retire next season with his age set at 41. Also, their stats shouldn't regress so fast as they do with again Vinatieri as an example or Brady or Manning or even Favre. From what I've seen of the regression for those players in the following year is too much in my opinion. Dropping from 93 to 87 THP in one year as an example. Of course it'll be a fine balancing act to not have other players stay longer than they should.

I always have to manually modify player regression as it happens too soon and in very large and unrealistic numbers each season. Also, I say move kickers to 42, put quarterbacks at 39 or 40, and figure the rest out later.

While I'm definitely in favor of increasing a lot of these positions I think 38 might be too much. There have only been 24 players in the last 15 years besides QB's, K's, and P's to play at the age of 38. Ideally the best players would play longer than everyone else, but the only position I got madden to do that for was QB. Also with K's and P's in my chart from the first post, the reason the retirement window is so narrow is because of the RERA being so low combined with their regression starting so late from the high PAGE number. In essence causing them all to be forced to retire sooner than they would because of madden's absolute limit on how old a player can play. So one number or the other could be changed and their will still be players retiring at 40 and 41, maybe a 42, as well as some players retiring at 39.

The oldest madden will let players stay in the league is 42 unless you put them back manually. So I would say that's close enough to have Vinatieri retire at 41 instead of having all the kickers retire later. If players are regressing too fast it can always be reverted with Nza's editor. In my opinion, Madden Amp's off-season conditioning provides smaller and steadier player regression.

If players are regressing too soon that can easily be changed by raising the PAGE number for their position. The chart in the first post shows that the good QB's do retire at 39-40, and even 41; while backups and mediocre starters don't play past 35-37.

Browns customer service

Raston
MVP

Postby Raston » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:51 pm

RevanFan wrote:I always have to manually modify player regression as it happens too soon and in very large and unrealistic numbers each season. Also, I say move kickers to 42, put quarterbacks at 39 or 40, and figure the rest out later.

We could increase the PAGE number to say 31-32 for all players so the regression kicks in later but a better solution is to find the tables that determine how much regression is done. The RERA could be tweaked until it achieves the average age you want player to retire.

superben21
MVP

Postby superben21 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:32 am

If I was able to change things, I would say the most important thing is being able to find progression rates. If you could incoporate the injury history (there rating or someway of making this into a number) into how fast a player progresses downwards and at what age. Other than knowing players lose a step, starting around 30 typically, do we know anything else as fact? I am very interested if we can change this.

To the topic of retirement, the only thing which bothers me is that overall is not taken into account as much as it should be. Most players are not above 95 overall and retiring from my observations. Many players have been retiring younger due to injury recently however which would be interesting if we could factor that into the formula.

Those are my two cents.
~ Superben21 | An active moderator at one point or another.

valvegas1
All-Pro

Postby valvegas1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Hope this helps ya'll with figuring out what to set these at

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1683 ... fl-players

Return to “Development”