Tuesday Morning app

Technical discussion of development of third-party apps.
superben21
MVP

Re: Tuesday Morning app

Postby superben21 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:50 am

About the worth of draft pics comparatively to franchise QB's. I believe that if your top draft pick (Andrew Luck, RGIII) is worth 500 points then your franchise QB (Manning, Brady, Brees, Rogers) should at least be closer to 1000. It may seem like a lot at first but in all reality how many teams would even trade a second or third tier guy (Ryan, Flacco, Rivers) for the first pick. It just wouldn't happen because we know they can get it done. That's how I view it. Established stars are just plain worth a lot lot more.

About the other positions, I agree RB's are slightly more important than WR's like you had it but on the O-line I think the gap between blind side and the rest isn't actually that big. Lets take my Brown's for an example. We have Joe Thomas who is a total stud at LT and an emerging force at C in Alex Mack yet the right side of the line is horrible so the QB is still getting crushed and doesn't have time.

For defense I think Safeties have a lot higher value than typically given credit. Look at the elite defenses for years and they all have their guy typically. (Reed, Polamalu, etc.) These guys make big plays in the pass and the run more than arguably any other position. They're called to be everywhere all the time.

Those are my thoughts. Have fun! :)
~ Superben21 | An active moderator at one point or another.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:46 am

torontogrudlies wrote:I think some of what you're saying is that, when I did the add-on for catching ability, it's no longer "a piece of the pie" so to speak?

Here's a thought... although it's debated whether the OVR is a true measure of a player, the formula for creating an OVR is known. Maybe just for the purpose of this segment of the code, we recompute it and add in more factors? According to the spreadsheet, catching ability does factor in for HB and FB already. Perhaps we alter this equation... a HB with 99 catch rating is valued more on a team with heavier pass philosophy than on a team with less. And his pass blocking would be bigger too, stuff like that. Then we spit out a "temp OVR" which then is ok for a formula similar to what the QB gets?

Yeah this is what I was trying to say, sorry if it came out kind of muddled.

Yeah hopefully we could take the OVR formula, and make the way it is weighted change based on traits in the GM Statline, so for pass happy GM's CTCH AWR and PBK are weighted more and things like STR and BTK are weighted less. It would be interesting, but maybe too complicated, to do this for every position so that GM's tend to build teams around different principles. The colts want speed rushers for their DE but the Ravens tend to want heavier run stuffers.

We could do this based entirely off of run pass balances in playcalling, or we could add a lot of traits to the GM statline that effect this. If we do it based off of run pass values than could we please keep track of that outside of the madden playcalling percentages. The colts are very much built around passing in their philosophy but they still keep a fairly even run pass balance in their playcalling, so the playcalling balance is not the same as the teams philosophy. Also playcalling balances have to be managed every year to keep things anywhere near real NFL stats, and it would just be a pain to have to mess with them some more.

Maybe this is obvious, but what's the reason for using 1.22 as the constant in the formula 1.22^(ovr-70)?

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:08 pm

Drizzt_13 wrote:
torontogrudlies wrote:I think some of what you're saying is that, when I did the add-on for catching ability, it's no longer "a piece of the pie" so to speak?

Here's a thought... although it's debated whether the OVR is a true measure of a player, the formula for creating an OVR is known. Maybe just for the purpose of this segment of the code, we recompute it and add in more factors? According to the spreadsheet, catching ability does factor in for HB and FB already. Perhaps we alter this equation... a HB with 99 catch rating is valued more on a team with heavier pass philosophy than on a team with less. And his pass blocking would be bigger too, stuff like that. Then we spit out a "temp OVR" which then is ok for a formula similar to what the QB gets?

Yeah this is what I was trying to say, sorry if it came out kind of muddled.

Yeah hopefully we could take the OVR formula, and make the way it is weighted change based on traits in the GM Statline, so for pass happy GM's CTCH AWR and PBK are weighted more and things like STR and BTK are weighted less. It would be interesting, but maybe too complicated, to do this for every position so that GM's tend to build teams around different principles. The colts want speed rushers for their DE but the Ravens tend to want heavier run stuffers.

We could do this based entirely off of run pass balances in playcalling, or we could add a lot of traits to the GM statline that effect this. If we do it based off of run pass values than could we please keep track of that outside of the madden playcalling percentages. The colts are very much built around passing in their philosophy but they still keep a fairly even run pass balance in their playcalling, so the playcalling balance is not the same as the teams philosophy. Also playcalling balances have to be managed every year to keep things anywhere near real NFL stats, and it would just be a pain to have to mess with them some more.

The coaches also have ratings for each position, we could perhaps figure that in?

Maybe this is obvious, but what's the reason for using 1.22 as the constant in the formula 1.22^(ovr-70)?

No extreme significance... I just kept plugging in numbers (1.5, 1.1, 1.2, etc.) till I found one which seemed to make sense.

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:00 pm

torontogrudlies wrote:The coaches also have ratings for each position, we could perhaps figure that in?

The coaches have a rating for each position but that doesn't tell us what qualities they are looking for at each position, unless you're talking about adding additional values as part of Tuesday Morning. We could make the Coach and GM values be averaged and have the weighting change based on how much approval rating they have. That way a lame duck coach has less control over what happens to the team while Bill Belicheck has near total control.

I was looking at the OVR formulas and unless we want to mess with the PRDH and PRDL values and change the starting values we can't change the "total weight" as listed in the spreadsheet. So if we want to make PBK and CAT weighted higher we have to decrease something accordingly, so when we design this we have to come up with traits which are valued as mutually exclusive. So the more pass happy a coach is the more CAT and PBK factor into it and the less STR and BTK do.

We should decide if we want this to be based only on pass run percentage or some other created stat that is more specific to each position. Pass Run percentage is the easiest and works pretty well for most things. But it isn't as nuanced as individual position ratings could be. You should decide soon if you think run/pass is good enough or if we want to try to make something more complex.

My latest idea would be to use both run/pass and offensive and defensive aggression as factors. But I was thinking, good teams often pair say a really aggressive penetrating D line with Linebackers who know are good at getting off of blocks. If you're going to run a blitz happy group of linebackers who either give up big gains or get stops for a loss you might want to pair that with a safety who's a sure tackler. So I was thinking what if for each GM at each position (or position group) we have two ratings, one that corresponds to pass versus run and one that corresponds to consistency and balance vs. big play ability and specialization. Mike Martz is all about the big play offense but he prefers blocking TE's so he would have a high aggressiveness for his receivers but a low aggressiveness for the TE position.

Here's a quick outline of how this would work at various positions, this is completely open to discussions.

QB: Modifying this for run/pass doesn't really make sense except for running quarterbacks and for all but a few QB's their scrambling ability is irrelevant so weighing it higher in a trade value formula wouldn't make sense. Coaches with high Aggressiveness would weigh THP higher than it is now, and THA a little less, more conservative coaches would be the opposite.

HB: pass happy teams would favor CAT and PBK at the expense of, say CAR and STR. Big play teams would favor SPD over BTK.

FB: Pass would value CAT and PBK over STR and RBK, Big play would value SPD and ACC over BTK and CAR

TE: Pass Would value PBK over RBK. Big play would value SPD and CAT over STR and BTK.

WR: Pass wouldn't have an effect because the current OVR formula doesn't factor in RBK at all. Big Play would value speed and ACC over CAT and AGI (possession receivers vs big play).

OL: Pass would value PBK over RBK, I don't know what makes a more aggresive lineman, maybe higher SPD and ACC for pulling plays and zone blocking over a lower STR for in line blocking, I don't know line is tricky.

DL: Pass defense oriented teams would favor ACC over STR, big play teams would favor SPD over TKL as they would be less worried about consistent tackling and more into backfield penetration. (Note: for some reason TKL is Weighted higher for DT's then it is for OLB's in the madden OVR setting which seems weird)

LB's: Pass would value SPD+AGI over STR and TKL, Aggressive would Value ACC over AWR (I'm thinking aggressive teams tend to want their LB's to blitz rather than hang back in coverage or diagnose plays)

DB's Pass would want SPD+ ACC over TKL+STR, aggressive would want CAT over AWR

I'm not gonna mess with Kickers at all.

The current OVR is based off a sum of the weighted scores added to a starting score (usually something around -60), the actual amount the scores are weighted by is a (x for a specific rating*(99/(PRDH-PRDL)))/sum of x for all ratings at that position. Our formula would have x+(Pass pct -50)*constant)) and this constant would be negative for a rating favored by running teams.

I did a little testing, it seems to work much better the more ratings are factored into the position. if the number is relatively few, like the QB position then the (agressivness-50)*constant would have to remain relatively low so that THP doesn't have 3 or 4 times the importance of throw accuracy. It worked better on positions like a HB where it tended to produce a 3 or 4 point swing using reasonable values. This is good I don't want a huge swing especially when the formula for evaluation is exponential.

I'll wait for a little more feedback on this before I test it any more or try to find any constants I want to stick with.

The attached file is a spreadsheet which factors the changes I suggested above, you can set the Pass balance and the aggression for each position and the constant by which those are multiplied. If anyone wants to take a shot at this see if it messes things up in any weird situations.

DarthViper3k
All-Pro

Postby DarthViper3k » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:41 am

I have no idea if this project is still active... if not hell I'll see what I can do.. lol
I'd hate to see what is likely the most ground breaking piece of Madden game management software to go to waste.

Drizzt_13 wrote:
The coaches have a rating for each position but that doesn't tell us what qualities they are looking for at each position, unless you're talking about adding additional values as part of Tuesday Morning. We could make the Coach and GM values be averaged and have the weighting change based on how much approval rating they have. That way a lame duck coach has less control over what happens to the team while Bill Belicheck has near total control.

Thats actually relatively simple.
Each offensive and defensive scheme requires certain attributes... for example a 3-4 Defense needs a nose tackle versus a DT. A normal 4-3 DT needs not just strength but speed and agility to rush the passer. So you're lookin for somebody with long arms, taller, a lil lighter (like 275-300lbs), and able to rush the passer. On the other hand a NT you want somebody shorter, stronger, doesn't need to be nearly as fast... and heavier (300-350lbs)

Somebody mentioned not knowing about how the salary cap works....
The Salary cap based on the current CBA it 40% of the total league income divided 32. Which actually works out since Madden 08 actually has the concession stands and ticket sales.

Contracts and how they affect the cap is more complicated...
Bonuses are done in different ways
Likely to be met Incentives. These are paid during the current salary year
- This could be a player on the active roster by a certain date
Not likely to be met incentives
- Making it to the Super Bowl... Getting so many INTs... throwing so many TDs...etc. This is paid in the following salary year.
Roster salaries are also sometimes broken up depending on the player. For example if a player has a problem making practice its possible part of their salary is depending on making practice, making games, etc.

Would love to know where this project is at. Since your wiki is down... maybe take a look at your notes.

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:03 pm

DarthViper3k wrote:I have no idea if this project is still active... if not hell I'll see what I can do.. lol
I'd hate to see what is likely the most ground breaking piece of Madden game management software to go to waste.

Drizzt_13 wrote:

Thats actually relatively simple.
Each offensive and defensive scheme requires certain attributes... for example a 3-4 Defense needs a nose tackle versus a DT. A normal 4-3 DT needs not just strength but speed and agility to rush the passer. So you're lookin for somebody with long arms, taller, a lil lighter (like 275-300lbs), and able to rush the passer. On the other hand a NT you want somebody shorter, stronger, doesn't need to be nearly as fast... and heavier (300-350lbs)

Yes we should clearly weigh 3-4 and 4-3 into the equation but that's not all we're talking about. Even within a 4-3 and 3-4 there are different tendencies. The classic colts teams had light speedy 4-3 fronts built to rush the passer but couldn't stop the run. The modern patriots have a lot of huge lineman that stop the run but don't get much pressure. The point was to come up with some sort of equation that could factor in player ability and coach tendencies in order to help coaches pick between different players. One idea was to take the formula the game used to calculate a players overall rating and changing the way attributes were weighted based on pass/run balance and aggression. If you were a run first team TE blocking would be weighted higher than receiving. If you were an aggressive big play team you'd be looking for defensive backs who can make a play on the ball but you'd value tackling less. I could send you the spreadsheet or share it with you on google docs but I can't attach it to a post because the forum doesn't allow me to.

We were also looking at adding inaccuracy to the whole picture so that the overall rating determined by this equation would be averaged with a rating generated based off a players stats. So if an 80 ovr receiver puts up a lot of yards because of the system (e.g. laurent robinson) a team might rate him higher than he is. This got pretty complex towards the end. I would reccomend reading the whole player valuation thread in the TMM subforum

DarthViper3k
All-Pro

Postby DarthViper3k » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:10 pm

I was using the differences between 3-4 & 4-3 to demonstrate that coaching philosophy can dictate what type of players you target.
Like your Colts example could be defined as a QB Pressure 4-3... your Patriots example could be defined as a Hold the Point... etc etc.

So you're looking at an area for playing/coaching philosophy. So under the philosphy tab you'd have a section for defense... and you define your base scheme.... 3-4, 4-3, Cover - 2, Tampa 2... and then from there you define your roles.... For the Packers, for example, they put their DB's in Zone/Blitz philosophy... their LB Corps in a Pass Rush/Zone... and their DL a Hold the point/Run Stuff Role

On Offense it'd be much the same.... define your O-Line as Zone Blocking, Power/Sweep Blocking, Assignment Blocking.... define your backfield as Power Running, or Pass Block/Draw Run.. and so on and so forth.

The inaccuracy would be fairly easy to do... you could use the scout skill field to seed a random# generator... if the scout skill is 0-99... make the rand function base off of 0-110... if the random number is below their skill score they hit.. if the random number is above the skill they miss.
Real crude and simple... but its effective.

I've gotta reinstall Visual Basic... but I must admit I've only actually had a couple of C++ courses, I haven't used VB in a while.. my primary strength is PHP+MySQL.... but I'm not completely incapable of helping.

my gmail for google docs is darthviper3k at gmail dot com

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:11 pm

DarthViper3k wrote:I was using the differences between 3-4 & 4-3 to demonstrate that coaching philosophy can dictate what type of players you target.
Like your Colts example could be defined as a QB Pressure 4-3... your Patriots example could be defined as a Hold the Point... etc etc.

So you're looking at an area for playing/coaching philosophy. So under the philosphy tab you'd have a section for defense... and you define your base scheme.... 3-4, 4-3, Cover - 2, Tampa 2... and then from there you define your roles.... For the Packers, for example, they put their DB's in Zone/Blitz philosophy... their LB Corps in a Pass Rush/Zone... and their DL a Hold the point/Run Stuff Role

On Offense it'd be much the same.... define your O-Line as Zone Blocking, Power/Sweep Blocking, Assignment Blocking.... define your backfield as Power Running, or Pass Block/Draw Run.. and so on and so forth.

I'm interested but not quite sold on doing things this way. I think it's achievable to have coaching philosophy dictate the type of players that teams target, I'm just not sure we can make as many subdivisions in coaching philosophy as you appear to be making. If we're going to be completely accurate to the NFL there are a lot of different schemes for all the positions, DB's could be in press-man, off-man, zone/blitz, or pattern matching. The issue is that first of all the play calling AI isn't going to use these in game. Madden's AI rarely uses press or off coverage except in specific situations and pretty much every team uses a mix of man or zone with no way to set the play calling tendency towards either one provided in game. Same thing with a lot of the O-line stuff. Madden has no way to make teams favor zone or sweep blocking (and it's attempts at zone plays are jokes cause no one double teams or cut blocks) so you'd end up with lines built to do one thing and rarely doing it. I prefer to use the run/pass balance and the aggression rating because they correspond to in game play calling tendencies, that way if we sign a pass catching TE to a pass heavy offense he actually does end up running routes more than he would have in a run first offense.

Ben 75 has done some awesome work with regards to playbook AI and figuring out how the play calling works. I think it would certainly be possible to make a playbook where the AI tags were modified so that it used predominantly zone coverages or sweep plays. I think making something like that a reality would require tons and tons of playbook editing and also would require most people who used our app to heavily modify the default playbooks. Unless it seems likely that either of those things will happen I'm hesitant to use more complex schemes.

DarthViper3k wrote:The inaccuracy would be fairly easy to do... you could use the scout skill field to seed a random# generator... if the scout skill is 0-99... make the rand function base off of 0-110... if the random number is below their skill score they hit.. if the random number is above the skill they miss.
Real crude and simple... but its effective.

What exactly would a "hit" or "miss" entail as far as player evaluation? I would prefer to have something with different degrees of accuracy. For example it's possible for two teams to screw up evaluating a player but they could still be off in different directions and by different amounts. One team may overestimate Gabbert's abilities but not as much as the jaguars did. I was planning on using a weighted average of the players actual overall and a randomly generated number within a range determined by the players stats where the scouting skill determines how each is weighed. So if a player is actually a 70, but his stats are in the 80-85 range and a team has a scouting skill of 25 they would weight the stat value at 75% and the actual value at 25% and determine the player is somewhere from 77-81 depending on what random number in the stat range was generated.

DarthViper3k wrote:I've gotta reinstall Visual Basic... but I must admit I've only actually had a couple of C++ courses, I haven't used VB in a while.. my primary strength is PHP+MySQL.... but I'm not completely incapable of helping.

Talk to gruddlies about the programming stuff, I'm sure he'll appreciate any help he can get. I also appreciate any feedback or ideas on the formulas you give me.

DarthViper3k wrote:my gmail for google docs is darthviper3k at gmail dot com

I sent it to you. I haven't finished the equations for everyone yet but the first couple should be working. You can adjust the player ratings and the aggression and pass run balance and if you scroll all the way to the right it will give you the new overall. The difference tends to be around 3 points of OVR which I think might be a little low but is probably acceptable.

DarthViper3k
All-Pro

Postby DarthViper3k » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Drizzt_13 wrote:I'm interested but not quite sold on doing things this way. I think it's achievable to have coaching philosophy dictate the type of players that teams target, I'm just not sure we can make as many subdivisions in coaching philosophy as you appear to be making. If we're going to be completely accurate to the NFL there are a lot of different schemes for all the positions, DB's could be in press-man, off-man, zone/blitz, or pattern matching. The issue is that first of all the play calling AI isn't going to use these in game. Madden's AI rarely uses press or off coverage except in specific situations and pretty much every team uses a mix of man or zone with no way to set the play calling tendency towards either one provided in game. Same thing with a lot of the O-line stuff. Madden has no way to make teams favor zone or sweep blocking (and it's attempts at zone plays are jokes cause no one double teams or cut blocks) so you'd end up with lines built to do one thing and rarely doing it. I prefer to use the run/pass balance and the aggression rating because they correspond to in game play calling tendencies, that way if we sign a pass catching TE to a pass heavy offense he actually does end up running routes more than he would have in a run first offense.

Ben 75 has done some awesome work with regards to playbook AI and figuring out how the play calling works. I think it would certainly be possible to make a playbook where the AI tags were modified so that it used predominantly zone coverages or sweep plays. I think making something like that a reality would require tons and tons of playbook editing and also would require most people who used our app to heavily modify the default playbooks. Unless it seems likely that either of those things will happen I'm hesitant to use more complex schemes.

It wasn't actually meant to be a practical concept.. merely a means to start a discussion on different concepts... a way to spark out of the box thinking.
Something as simple as doing run/pass wouldn't get you much variety in the draft however. My point being is that a pass catching TE isn't very defined.
Granted like you said doing any more may require getting down into the nitty gritty of the play book AI... but... if the equation hits the right balance of detailed by not overly so... we wont see the AI teams being completely worthless by season 15.

Drizzt_13 wrote:What exactly would a "hit" or "miss" entail as far as player evaluation? I would prefer to have something with different degrees of accuracy. For example it's possible for two teams to screw up evaluating a player but they could still be off in different directions and by different amounts. One team may overestimate Gabbert's abilities but not as much as the jaguars did. I was planning on using a weighted average of the players actual overall and a randomly generated number within a range determined by the players stats where the scouting skill determines how each is weighed. So if a player is actually a 70, but his stats are in the 80-85 range and a team has a scouting skill of 25 they would weight the stat value at 75% and the actual value at 25% and determine the player is somewhere from 77-81 depending on what random number in the stat range was generated.

Gotcha.. I see where you're going with that.

Drizzt_13 wrote:I sent it to you. I haven't finished the equations for everyone yet but the first couple should be working. You can adjust the player ratings and the aggression and pass run balance and if you scroll all the way to the right it will give you the new overall. The difference tends to be around 3 points of OVR which I think might be a little low but is probably acceptable.

Hmm... I haven't actually received anything

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:08 am

I will take a look and figure out why the wiki is down. Just noticed this...

Return to “Development”