Tuesday Morning app

Technical discussion of development of third-party apps.
torontogrudlies
MVP

Tuesday Morning app

Postby torontogrudlies » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:37 am

Awhile back I began working on a "Tuesday Morning" app. The intent was to simulate general manager duties as well as events which would happen "off the field" between Tuesday and Saturday. Such as, players getting suspended, trades, releases, etc. Each GM would have a profile, similar to the coaches and player ratings in Madden, but with such attributes about how patient the GM is, how much they favor youth or experience, how tolerant they are of off-the-field drama, how thrifty they are.

I put this on the back burner when I accepted a promotion at work, and haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it. Would be interested in starting it up again, with help....given the fact that it looks like Madden will exclude the PC for yet another year.

What I've done so far, I wrote in Visual Studio. The basic script loops thru the players on a particular team, and (based upon OVR and other ratings) returns a number representing how eager that GM will be to trade that player.

Tuesday Morning app

Sponsor

Sponsor

h4wduk3n
All-Pro

Re: Tuesday Morning app

Postby h4wduk3n » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:43 pm

I'm a professional software developer working with .NET (C#,C++), old school C, non .NET C++ and Python. I had a similar idea recently based on the open source nature of madden amp. I was hoping to add a feature to it where it could "Lock on" to a franchise file and monitor changes to it, prompting the user to take the appropriate actions automatically. It would also back up the last few franchise files in case the user accidentally advanced too far...
Does this sound similar to work you've already done? :)

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:27 pm

h4wduk3n wrote:I'm a professional software developer working with .NET (C#,C++), old school C, non .NET C++ and Python. I had a similar idea recently based on the open source nature of madden amp. I was hoping to add a feature to it where it could "Lock on" to a franchise file and monitor changes to it, prompting the user to take the appropriate actions automatically. It would also back up the last few franchise files in case the user accidentally advanced too far...
Does this sound similar to work you've already done? :)

Somewhat....

In part, it would be an app where General Managers could be defined by attributes like the following:

Code: Select all

'defining a general manager
    'first and last name, and team by ID 0 thru 31, self-explanatory
    'Patience: how patient a GM will be with regard to return on investment for a coach or player
    'Loyalty: how likely a GM is to stick with a respected coach or veteran player, despite decline or aging
    'Youthcore and Veterancore: GM's balancing of younger players vs. veterans in the latter portion of their career.
    '   high draftpicks are very valuable to high youthcore, but expendable to low youthcore.
    'Ethics: importance of moral character to the GM.  A manager with high ethical value will be more likely to trade
    '   or cut a player with off the field problems.
    'Thrift: how economical the GM is with money.  Higher rating will be more likely to part ways with players whom
    '   he perceives as being overpaid, in comparison with other similar players in the league.
    'Security: how apt the GM is to create long-term stability via longer contracts, getting players signed before
    '   risking losing them to free agency.
    'Aggressiveness: how quickly the GM gets out and makes transactions, in comparison to other GMs.
    'Risk: x-factor, how likely for the GM to go for a trade even if it favors the other team on paper.
    'Publicity: how important public opinion is to the GM

When personnel moves are being considered, these factors are weighed in.

Another part would be a sort of AI for off the field stuff, like suspensions, getting in trouble, rivalries, etc. An additional table would contain extended ratings for existing players, such as their ethics/sportsmanship (how likely they are to get in trouble.) A player also might hold a grudge against a team which cut him, especially if he has an inflated ego, and when he plays against his old team, he might "bring his A-game" (meaning that the app would boost his AWR and/or other key ratings just for that week.) Or, an entire team might hold a grudge against a team which ran up the score on them.

superben21
MVP

Postby superben21 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:34 pm

You need any testing help with this? Just wondering because this sounds like one of the, if not the, coolest thing yet for Madden 08! Just curious :)
~ Superben21 | An active moderator at one point or another.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:30 pm

superben21 wrote:You need any testing help with this? Just wondering because this sounds like one of the, if not the, coolest thing yet for Madden 08! Just curious :)

I agree. It would be amazing if you start this up again. I could test on my x64 Vista and 7 computers and tell you if it works.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

superben21
MVP

Postby superben21 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:12 pm

RevanFan wrote:
superben21 wrote:You need any testing help with this? Just wondering because this sounds like one of the, if not the, coolest thing yet for Madden 08! Just curious :)

I agree. It would be amazing if you start this up again. I could test on my x64 Vista and 7 computers and tell you if it works.

If say we were able to get this done, to an extent at least, it could change Madden as we know it forever.... I have windows XP x32

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:59 pm

I haven't messed with it in some months. As far as I got was programming some code which would analyze players and give them a numerical value, based on their age, ratings and a group of ratings which were assigned to the general managers.... this number would basically determine the value of this player to that general manager.

Some of my code also allows manipulating of players and teams as if they were objects.... they can be read, edited, saved. This stuff could be useful to anyone writing code for Madden, I think....

On the Tuesday Morning app, I would likely need some help from someone more proficient in VB, as well as a deep understanding of how all the players, teams etc. interact in the database. The Box Score Generator was not too difficult for me to make once I got up to speed, but it involved only reading data. If I start changing and manipulating rosters and teams, there's a good chance it could lead to corrupting a franchise. Are any of the heavy-duty programmers still around?

superben21
MVP

Postby superben21 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Administrator wrote:I haven't messed with it in some months. As far as I got was programming some code which would analyze players and give them a numerical value, based on their age, ratings and a group of ratings which were assigned to the general managers.... this number would basically determine the value of this player to that general manager.

Some of my code also allows manipulating of players and teams as if they were objects.... they can be read, edited, saved. This stuff could be useful to anyone writing code for Madden, I think....

On the Tuesday Morning app, I would likely need some help from someone more proficient in VB, as well as a deep understanding of how all the players, teams etc. interact in the database. The Box Score Generator was not too difficult for me to make once I got up to speed, but it involved only reading data. If I start changing and manipulating rosters and teams, there's a good chance it could lead to corrupting a franchise. Are any of the heavy-duty programmers still around?

As far as I know none of the heavy-duty programmers are still around, if so I don't know who they are. But hey, if you'd be willing to give it a go, I'd be willing to lose some franchises due to corruption to it :)

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:25 pm

superben21 wrote:
Administrator wrote:I haven't messed with it in some months. As far as I got was programming some code which would analyze players and give them a numerical value, based on their age, ratings and a group of ratings which were assigned to the general managers.... this number would basically determine the value of this player to that general manager.

As far as I know none of the heavy-duty programmers are still around, if so I don't know who they are. But hey, if you'd be willing to give it a go, I'd be willing to lose some franchises due to corruption to it :)

JDHalfrack is on this site. He's one of the greatest.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:53 am

Life has been busy, but I will try to set aside some time to post what I came up with so far. It's on my other computer which I am putting back together this weekend.

Return to “Development”