Multiple Formations in one?

Tyco94
Rookie

Postby Tyco94 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:04 pm

Okay so using the play editor I was doing my formation shifts and realized in order to have a TE shift off the line of scrimmage I'd have to move the WR adjacent to him up to the line of scrimmage in order to keep the formation legal with having 7 men on the line in any given formation. This seems fine since the formation shift tool let's us select multiple players to move for one shift, so I can have the WR step up and the TE step back and move. Cool.

But that got me thinking and I started playing around with the formation shifts tool and had a realization. Since there's a limit to how many formations we can have in a book, I think I found a way to use formation shifts to shift several players at once into a different formation. Like for example if I started in a 3WR 1TE 1RB set with all players out wide, 2 on the LOS, 3 off, and then say shifted the HB to the right, and in doing that had the HB move back into the backfield and had the WRs shift over, then that would essentially shift the formation from an empty set to a trips/trey/bunch set depending on how the WRs were grouped.

Or for another example, sticking with the same 3WR/1TE/1RB if the TE was on the LOS next to the RT and I shifted him to the right but had two WRs move next to him, essentially creating a Bunch formation.

Basically I'm experimenting to see if it's possible to use Formation Shifts to go from one 3WR/1TE/1RB set to a number of other. I don't see this as an illegal shift because all sub-formations will be kept in accordance with the 7-man on the LOS rule and even though multiple players are moving I see this as more of a formation-audible than an illegal shift. Seeing as I'm not purposefully doing this to create illegal formations and solely for the purpose of subverting the limit on formations I'm fine with it. This is essentially just calling an audible from one formation to another without wasting a formation spot.

The only nuances of this that I can see will be marking which plays in the formation are for which shift set, making sure the routes line up with the shifted play I'm using and working out whether routes flip if a WR moves across the formation and how to work around that. Oh, and seeing if I can call a run play off an empty formation after shifting the HB into the backfield. Here are some of the examples of what I plan on trying.

Gun Empty Quads - Base formation 3WR / 1TE / 1HB all out wide

Gun Bunch Quads - TE Shift Right

Gun Trey Y-Flex Str - HB Shift Left
(This formation is from the Chiefs playbook and contains the infamous Jet Chip Wasp play)

Gun Stack Y-Flex - HB Shift Right

These are just a few examples I'm starting with to see if this is at all practical. Afterwards if everything works as I hope I'll go and try other formations. Maybe a Y-Wing formation that can shift into a T-Form and Wing T, or Split back, or Near/Far sets. I feel like the possibilities to get creative are endless if this works. I'll report back on my findings.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Tyco94
Rookie

Re: Multiple Formations in one?

Postby Tyco94 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:17 am

Just encountered a bug where every time I click on a player and give them their assignment, it applies that assignment to every single other player that's been edited in the play. For example, I have WR1 run a streak route. Then, I tell WR2 to run a drag. As soon as I hit end route/get open WR1 is now also running a drag and no longer a streak for some reason..... And then lets say I put WR3 on a slant, now WR 1, 2, and 3 are all slants. Then let's say I put my HB on a block, now all 4 of them are set to block. It literally resets every player I've touched to whatever the most recent change is, rendering editing pointless. Bug persists on any new play or old play I touch. Creating a new formation and a new play does not help. Nor does going into the in-game play editor and deleting all affected plays. Pretty sure the playbook is just corrupted. Bug only affects THIS playbook and not others. I searched the forum and found no sign of anyone at all experiencing this bug, so the playbook is just dead at this point. Just lost 4 and a half hours of work. Fun.

Return to “Plays and playbooks”