How To Modernize Base Playbooks Easily!

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:00 pm

Had this idea while brainstorming what to do with Madden 06's gamedata since it can't use pre snap motion, this fix is simple, TIME SAVING, and will give you an updated gamedata with 250+ plays.

Since football passing concepts haven't changed all that much from 08 to 23 most of the base games passing plays work well enough, but they all start from under center while in today's game shotgun is the most popular. Here's the idea, just take some of the 9+ singleback formations and drag the QB to run them from shotgun then place that formation group under the shotgun formation. You'd need to fix the running plays and PA passes but I tested it and it works fine in game. Here's how to do this:

1. Open the 2011/2008 GAMEDATA file in Madden Resource editor and un-compress it. (this allows for them to be edited too, 250+ plays editable without changing every other value in the book. Haven't seen anyone mention this yet.)

2. Open the un-compressed GAMEDATA file in DFR and extract a copy of whatever playbook you want.

3. Open the extracted file in Madden Extreme and go into the formation audible table (PBFM). Anywhere you see a "511", change it to zero.

4. Go to the PBST table; delete any record (the entire line), where the SETL value=0 (they are labeled with positions, like HB, FB, etc...)

5. Go to the PSAL table with Madden Extreme DB Editor. Open in excel and sort the values by "code" delete all lines that contain code=255. (This is some kind of placeholder code that pacfan's editor doesn't recognize. It won't affect any of the plays.)

6. Open the playbook in PBE 1.2 and pick what singleback formations you'd like to change to shotgun. Drag the QB's starting position to shotgun instead of under center in the formation tab, don't forget the play art one below it.

7. Right click on the formation you edited and select "Move selected entry to new formation group" and choose Shotgun.

8. Go into the Plays tab and find your new shotgun formation, edit every running play/PA pass to be ran from shotgun.

It's super easy, For QB's it's "Handoff> No Turn> Ball in opposite hand (HB starting on the right mean hand in left)> End Route> Just end route.

For HB's it's Delay 0.5 sec> Receive Handoff> Direction (make sure it's in front of the QB)> End Route > Run with Ball.

I'll be doing this for Madden 06 to have predominately shotgun and some pistol formations instead of mostly singleback. Can't believe I wasted so much time on the 2023 project when I could've just built upon these playbooks with Jet Sweep, Read Option, and RPO's. Now no one will ever have to go through that again when making updated playbooks.

I also extracted some classic's playbook from 06 and made them ready to play in Madden 08, alongside an uncompressed 06 GAMEDATA file if someone wanted another coaches 06 playbook here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Brock
All-Pro

Re: How To Modernize Base Playbooks Easily!

Postby Brock » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:26 am

Care to share your gamedata file? Thanks.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Re: How To Modernize Base Playbooks Easily!

Postby Austinmario13 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:38 pm

TheRareButter wrote:It's super easy, For QB's it's "Handoff> No Turn> Ball in opposite hand (HB starting on the right mean hand in left)> End Route> Just end route.

I tried this. All the QB does is turn and run towards the opposite endzone. That's because you are only including PSAL 96 (Hand Off Ball Turn) when you also need PSAL 97/98 (Hand Off Ball Give/Fake). For HB it's val1: 1 val2: 0 val3: 4 (poso: HB; ball extension: hand in; handoff exit: shotgun). For shotgun you don't even need PSAL 96 just 97/98.

Return to “Plays and playbooks”