Special Teams Player Selection in Madden 08

fransiskoo
Rookie

Postby fransiskoo » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:05 pm

Hi, this is the first post I create and would like to share and leave the following question for discussion:
Do Special Teams in the NFL have any rules or restrictions for the selection of players and their arrangement on the field?
Let me explain: i'm a Pats fan and have been analyzing the last 4-5 weeks, looking at the formations used for ST's in these scenarios:
- Kickoff
- Kickoff Return
- Punt
- Punt Return
- Field Goal & Extra Point
- Field Goal & Extra Point Block

In the case of Patriots, I see that the arrangement and selection of players is similar and somewhat constant in names, but it has its modifications in where each player is placed, but it catches my attention to see that positions such as WR (and also Matthew Slater, another WR) and a RB as a blocker/gunner are used a lot in those plays (especially Punts and Kickoffs).

Whenever I play franchise mode in Madden 08 I try to emulate as much as possible these formations but one encounters the position limitation. If you have noticed, the STs within the game are primarily made up of LB/DE/CB/FS/SS (in the case of Punt and Kickoff). But when trying to add WRs or RBs it is not possible. I know the game has those limitations to keep order and stuff, but I don't know if in real life (NFL) that exists or if any Head Coach/ST Coordinator is able to work with any player on the roster and put him in any ST position, I don't know if anyone has an answer to that question.

And yes, it may sound very silly to want to place (in-game) a WR or RB as a gunner or blocking, but I like that realism. I just wanted to put this point down that leaves me thinking quite a bit.
Do you guys also take the time to manage and organize your ST's within the game?
Do you select each player and where he is going to play or do you just let the game itself select those types of issues and positions?
It seems to me an interesting topic to analyze. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Here are three examples I observed in the Pats vs Bills this NFL Week 18 (January 8, 2023). Notice the use of Raleigh Webb (WR), Matthew Slater (WR) or Pierre Strong (RB) as gunners/blockers.
Attachments
W18 - NE PATS - PUNT RETURN FORMATION.png
W18 - NE PATS - PUNT RETURN FORMATION.png (112.35 KiB) Viewed 910 times
W18 - NE PATS - PUNT KICK FORMATION.png
W18 - NE PATS - PUNT KICK FORMATION.png (115.41 KiB) Viewed 910 times
W18 - NE PATS - KICKOFF FORMATION.png
W18 - NE PATS - KICKOFF FORMATION.png (89.57 KiB) Viewed 910 times

Sponsor

Sponsor

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Re: Special Teams Player Selection in Madden 08

Postby MikeWest502 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:33 pm

You can edit personnel in the special teams formations. You need to make the formation subs in a playbook.

Open your Pats playbook using Alpha Playbook Editor. Return formations are located inside the defensive playbooks.

Click Formations Tab. To edit Punt Return players, click the Special Teams Formation.

In the main window, right click a player you want to replace. Click "Edit Selected Player's SETG Data, Or you can double-click a player to bring up the SETG window. Click the "Player" list, select the new player you want in that position, make sure to include correct position number as well (WR4). Verify your changes to make sure you don't have one player in multiple positions. Save and play. Only thing I see with this is if you add WR's to defensive players positions is the tackles will be missed. WR's have very low tackle attribute. Should give you some fun results though.

Return to “Plays and playbooks”