Help With Play Artwork

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Re: Help With Play Artwork

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:11 pm

Harry97 wrote:
mike9472 wrote:Wouldn't that play be illegal? When the TE drops back and goes in motion he's behind the line of scrimmage, leaving only 6 men on the line when the ball is snapped. In real life I think that would get a flag for illegal procedure.

If only there is a command to tell one of the other wide receivers to step up to the LOS when you put the TE in motion. I don't think the game is programmed to call penalties when there are only 6 men on the LOS.

In the NFL the TE "is" considered on the LOS. If the X WR leaves the RT uncovered when the TE shifts, it's an illegal formation. What happens during the TE shift movement is, the X WR1 on the same side is allowed to move up one step the LOS to cover the RT. I have that logic assigned in my playbooks and Madden has it correct in it's default books. Otherwise as Mike states, it's an illegal formation (which isn't in madden's pool of penalties for referee's to call
anyhow).

As for the play art issue, I did post this error in my playbooks thread. There's nothing you can do about it. As long as your plays work, just continue to make them as you have been. Also, if you haven't run into this with the play art for option routes, be prepared for the same.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harry97
All-Pro

Postby Harry97 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:02 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:I have that logic assigned in my playbooks and Madden has it correct in it's default books.

Do you know what DB fields and values program the WR's auto-movement (being on or off the LOS) for when a TE goes in motion?
MikeWest502 wrote:Otherwise as Mike states, it's an illegal formation (which isn't in madden's pool of penalties for referee's to call anyhow).

If only we could hack penalties, it would be interesting to see if we can somehow program "accidental" illegal formations namely when TE's are put in motion, and then have the referees call it.
MikeWest502 wrote:As for the play art issue, I did post this error in my playbooks thread. There's nothing you can do about it. As long as your plays work, just continue to make them as you have been. Also, if you haven't run into this with the play art for option routes, be prepared for the same.

The artwork for route seems to have some bugs in them that you can't do anything about. It might be useful to program a "blank" route for routes like the motion routes that are glitched. I also think that would be useful if we only make small edits to some of the routes in a default playbook. It would be better to have a blank route when selecting a custom play at the playcall screen than to have glitched artwork.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:29 pm

Harry97 wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:I have that logic assigned in my playbooks and Madden has it correct in it's default books.

Do you know what DB fields and values program the WR's auto-movement (being on or off the LOS) for when a TE goes in motion?The values are based on X and Y coordinates, programmed in the shift. Many of Madden's offensive shifts use multiple players for this situation. But where the fields are in the DB, no. The simple route is to create a single play playbook that has the logic to analyze.
MikeWest502 wrote:Otherwise as Mike states, it's an illegal formation (which isn't in madden's pool of penalties for referee's to call anyhow).

If only we could hack penalties, it would be interesting to see if we can somehow program "accidental" illegal formations namely when TE's are put in motion, and then have the referees call it. Yeah, I'd like to see the complete pool of penalties. I'd like to somehow add the two missing referee's and move them to their correct locations. But on your point about the TE shift, even though the WR "is" allowed to take the step forward to cover the RT, many times in real life, they do forget to move up and are called for the illegal formation. When the TE goes, starts his shift, the referee actually is expecting the WR to acknowledge the TE movement and take the step forward covering the Tackle. It never crossed my mind to omit the WR shift in some my plays to see what happens in game. But it's there.
MikeWest502 wrote:As for the play art issue, I did post this error in my playbooks thread. There's nothing you can do about it. As long as your plays work, just continue to make them as you have been. Also, if you haven't run into this with the play art for option routes, be prepared for the same.

The artwork for route seems to have some bugs in them that you can't do anything about. It might be useful to program a "blank" route for routes like the motion routes that are glitched. I also think that would be useful if we only make small edits to some of the routes in a default playbook. It would be better to have a blank route when selecting a custom play at the playcall screen than to have glitched artwork.Believe me, I hate the crappy playart more than anyone on earth. It really blows the elegance of my playbooks and does them a grave dis-service. But, It's only glitchy art, not glitchy routes. The glitched art is horrible, but having a blank could cause even more issues if you don't know what the play is designed to do. (Digression: Many, many years ago, FPS Football Pro had a feature that only displayed the name of the plays at the play selection screen. :idea: ). The playart issue/bug is not a Madden thing, it's the playbook editor causing the missing art. If it were a Madden issue, the art for the option routes or motions would not display correctly when you display the playart on field. The option routes have two sets of playart (base route art & options route art). The playbook editor does program both sets (that's why Madden displays them correctly on field), but the PBE does not have the option art in it's art data set. So no option art is displayed at all when designing the plays, only the base route is seen. As for the auto-motion routes, the PBE over calculates the distance set. But when the play is displayed in game the motion looks great, works great but looks bad at the play select.

TheLandFan
Rookie

Postby TheLandFan » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:14 pm

Rixster67r wrote:Well I appreciate that.... I feel like a failure most of the time because I still haven't achieved my goal.... but maybe 2023 is the year :D ;)

What's your goal? Is it lofty?

TheLandFan
Rookie

Postby TheLandFan » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:22 pm

Harry97 wrote:
mike9472 wrote:Wouldn't that play be illegal? When the TE drops back and goes in motion he's behind the line of scrimmage, leaving only 6 men on the line when the ball is snapped. In real life I think that would get a flag for illegal procedure.

If only there is a command to tell one of the other wide receivers to step up to the LOS when you put the TE in motion. I don't think the game is programmed to call penalties when there are only 6 men on the LOS.

The game definitely ignores the 6 men on the LOS rule, which is fine with me because you can't force the WR to step forward to cover the Tackle. I just have to pretend that he does and drive on. It would definitely suck if the referees did call the penalty because then we'd be less another really cool custom playbooks option. I'd rather see a fix to the WR covering the Tackle problem, and then a fix to the penalty, rather than just have a fix to the penalty and still have no fix for the WR being able to step forward and cover the Tackle on TE motion plays.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:13 pm

TheLandFan wrote:
Harry97 wrote:

The game definitely ignores the 6 men on the LOS rule, which is fine with me because you can't force the WR to step forward to cover the Tackle. I just have to pretend that he does and drive on. It would definitely suck if the referees did call the penalty because then we'd be less another really cool custom playbooks option. I'd rather see a fix to the WR covering the Tackle problem, and then a fix to the penalty, rather than just have a fix to the penalty and still have no fix for the WR being able to step forward and cover the Tackle on TE motion plays.

The logic is in there, here's a sample of the shift logic. This pic is from a default I formation set. Madden does not ignore it. The game is programmed for the illegal formation to never happen. So as you can see the WR's are programmed to take that legal step forward covering the tackles.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (303.4 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

Harry97, I found where the logic is located. If you view the "Research Stuff" in the 2.5 editor. There is a doc called "Motion & other" that has the details of the table and field's location. I also took a moment to manually build an option route ARTL for a route. It worked, but because the 11 option routes art are not included in the Play Artwork list = ARTL table of the editor, it erased my changes when I saved the play. I used a clean Option Route (PSAL and ARTL). The 2.5 editor has an advanced feature that allowed me to input the correct data into the option "read" and "route".
Attachments
image_2022-12-28_141019004.png
image_2022-12-28_141019004.png (186.67 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

Return to “Plays and playbooks”