Hiding Sub-Formations

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Hiding Sub-Formations

Postby Austinmario13 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:53 pm

I managed to rip a Madden 2005 playbook and I put it into Madden 08 and see if it will work. It does, but I've noticed that there's one play where the HB doesn't line up directly behind the QB, instead he lines up behind the RG (And this is Singleback). How does this happen?
screen0004.bmp
screen0004.bmp (5.93 MiB) Viewed 1502 times

screen0006.bmp
screen0006.bmp (5.93 MiB) Viewed 1502 times
Attachments
Bears.pbo
ripped from madden 2005
(100.66 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

Hiding Sub-Formations

Sponsor

Sponsor

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Hiding Sub-Formations

Postby Austinmario13 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:02 pm

Turns out it's a hidden sub-formation. How do I do that?

Theov
MVP

Re: Hiding Sub-Formations

Postby Theov » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:00 am

Austinmario13 wrote:Turns out it's a hidden sub-formation. How do I do that?

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the term "hidden sub-formation".

And your question "How do I do that?"... you mean to do "what"?
No signature needed.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Theov wrote:

The second picture is a formation, but it only shows up in the DB Editor.

PatriotFan90
Veteran

Postby PatriotFan90 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:30 pm

Austinmario13, here is information Teotia provided on this in the past:

"So, the different "formations" are in the SETL tab, which contains information on how the players line up pre snap on the field. These are, for example, I-form Normal and I-form Trips, or in the case of the attached playbook with the direct snap stuff, Shotgun Normal and Shotgun Ace. The Poso number controls the player that receives the snap; 0 is the qb, 1 is the hb and so on. These are all separated.

The other two tabs you are interested in are the PBST and PBPL tabs. PBST controls the formations and how they are displayed when you are calling plays in the menus BEFORE the players even head to the field, PBPL controls the plays themselves (and their order) in the playcall screens. What is happening in madden is that different SETL (which normally have different PBST and PBPL list) can be merged into a single PBST with just one PBPL. To do this, go to the PBPL tab; if you have different formations adjustments (ie, different SETL originally) you will see they have different PBST values. If you give them the same values, you will effectively merge the two plays in one screen when you call them. Additionally make sure to edit the "ord" numbers, which controls in which order the different plays are displayed.

This will sound very confusing, so i'm attaching the playbook and explaining exactly what i did. Open it up in the DB editor and go to the SETL tab. We have two formations originally, Shotgun Ace and Shotgun Normal. Note how they have different poso numbers: in one formation the snap goes to the qb, in the other to the hb. However, they look identical on the field as the players are in the same exact spots. These are separate SETL with values of 107 and 93. Going to the PBST tab, SETL 107 has a corresponding PBST of 108, and 93 has 94. Now head to the PBPL tab. Each play is shown with the corresponding PBST tab, or, the formation used to run the play (again, this is the formation shown when you call the plays in the menus, not the one on the field). I changed the PBST number in the PBPL tab of the HB Snap play to 108, and of course changed the ord number to 2 from 1 (since both formations originally had one play). In other words, when i'm calling plays in the menus both formations will show under one, which corresponds to a 108 PBST, or a 107 SETL, or Shotgun Normal. Shotgun Ace is now a "ghost" formation: Madden knows it's there and it's a bit different (the snap goes to a different player), but it SHOWS the same formation as you call it. Shotgun Ace has no plays in the PBPL tab, and therefore won't appear in the Madden menus (which is why i refer to it as "ghost" of course).

This is very common in some default playbooks as well, where for specific plays the players will line up differently.

I hope that helped, if you don't understand something feel free to ask more questions!" (Source: https://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1055&start=40)

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:47 pm

Austinmario13 wrote:
Theov wrote:

The second picture is a formation, but it only shows up in the DB Editor.

Each formation set has a base group, then sub-formations assigned under it.
The L.A Rams only use two base formations Gun and Singleback. Their Singleback formation set has 11 sub-formations. You can use the playbook editor 1.2 to assign them.

That Singleback set is the HB Off-Set. There's also an HB Off-Set Weak where the HB lines up on the left side of the formation.

Return to “Plays and playbooks”