Fixing the AI Playcalling: Messing with the AI Playtags

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: Fixing the AI Playcalling: Messing with the AI Playtags

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:56 pm

rambolz wrote:Speaking of defensive playbooks, do you have any opinions on the amount of packages the AI calls on defense? I mean base/nickel/dime packages. I always feel like the AI uses the base defense way too much. Granted, it's a 11-year-old game and the base defense might have been the most used back then. Nowadays it seems the "base" is the nickel package for most teams, which makes sense with all the passing today.

I don't know if this is something that could be addressed with the playtags, just something that came into my mind. Anyway, looking forward to your next playbooks!

You are correct. Most teams last year ran more Nickel personnel than Dime or Base. Exceptions exist, like Cleveland (More Base than Sub) and New England (More Dime than Nickel). I'm pretty sure lowering the percentage use of base defense calls, and increase the percentage of sub package defense calls should do the trick. Same with offensive playbooks, lowering (Or removing them entirely) the percentage of calls on I formation, Singleback and Heavy personnel, and increasing them in Shotgun sets and 11 personnel sets. That could be the second part of this project, but I'll mess with the playcalling first.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

rambolz
All-Pro

Postby rambolz » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:36 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
rambolz wrote:Speaking of defensive playbooks, do you have any opinions on the amount of packages the AI calls on defense? I mean base/nickel/dime packages. I always feel like the AI uses the base defense way too much. Granted, it's a 11-year-old game and the base defense might have been the most used back then. Nowadays it seems the "base" is the nickel package for most teams, which makes sense with all the passing today.

I don't know if this is something that could be addressed with the playtags, just something that came into my mind. Anyway, looking forward to your next playbooks!

You are correct. Most teams last year ran more Nickel personnel than Dime or Base. Exceptions exist, like Cleveland (More Base than Sub) and New England (More Dime than Nickel). I'm pretty sure lowering the percentage use of base defense calls, and increase the percentage of sub package defense calls should do the trick. Same with offensive playbooks, lowering (Or removing them entirely) the percentage of calls on I formation, Singleback and Heavy personnel, and increasing them in Shotgun sets and 11 personnel sets. That could be the second part of this project, but I'll mess with the playcalling first.

Perfect ;)

ShoNuff
Rookie

Postby ShoNuff » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:17 am

I have two question that may or may not be particularly related to this thread but...

1: Where in the Playbook Editor can you set how often a play is called (aside from the total number in a given AIGR)? I understand if there are 10 plays in an AIGR then the chance is 10% but is there another way to change that for a particular play?

2: Anyone have any info on what each value means for Shading (0-15) and Transition (0-3)?

Thanks!
"Being aware of a single shortcoming within yourself is far more useful than being aware of a thousand in someone else" -Dalai Lama

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:38 pm

ShoNuff wrote:I have two question that may or may not be particularly related to this thread but...

1: Where in the Playbook Editor can you set how often a play is called (aside from the total number in a given AIGR)? I understand if there are 10 plays in an AIGR then the chance is 10% but is there another way to change that for a particular play?

2: Anyone have any info on what each value means for Shading (0-15) and Transition (0-3)?

Thanks!

1. The playbook editor doesn't have the % of a play being called. You have to manually use the DB Editor to open the playbook, open the PBAI table and manually alter each plays chances of being called.

2. I don't know about Shadings and Transitions, sadly.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

ShoNuff
Rookie

Postby ShoNuff » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:45 am

jose21crisis wrote:
ShoNuff wrote:I have two question that may or may not be particularly related to this thread but...

Thanks!

1. The playbook editor doesn't have the % of a play being called. You have to manually use the DB Editor to open the playbook, open the PBAI table and manually alter each plays chances of being called.

2. I don't know about Shadings and Transitions, sadly.

Thanks! I will wait to see if someone else have insight on Shadings and Transitions.
"Being aware of a single shortcoming within yourself is far more useful than being aware of a thousand in someone else" -Dalai Lama

solarkev
Pro Bowl

Postby solarkev » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:44 am

To address the question about shadings and transitions, I extracted a file from the depths of my hard drive. It came from a posting on this forum years ago. I've cut&pasted the text below. Hope it helps.

#.....SHADE.....CUSHION.. ACTION ON SNAP.......COVER.......

1 inside 2 transition outside deep
2 inside 2 transition inside under
3 inside 2 transition outside under
4 inside 2 bump inside deep
5 inside 2 bump outside deep
6 inside 2 bump inside under
7 inside 2 bump outside under
8 head-on 2 transition inside deep
9 head-on 2 transition outside deep
10 head-on 2 transition inside under
11 head-on 2 transition outside under
12 head-on 2 bump inside deep