Pattern read defense

PatriotFan90
Veteran

Pattern read defense

Postby PatriotFan90 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:21 am

Has anyone been able to create a pattern reading defensive play? For example, a Quarters concept or 2 Read concept.

Is this even remotely feasible?

I have noticed that on Cover 0 plays, if a safety is assigned to cover the RB, and the RB stays in to block, the safety will help deep. It's somewhat like a "robber" technique. Perhaps this could be explored and used to make a pattern read defense?

Pattern read defense

Sponsor

Sponsor

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Re: Pattern read defense

Postby BUS36 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:28 pm

it all depends on what the offensive formation is, along with down and distance.

Basic cover 2 or 2 shell... is that the safeties play deep halves with the corners playing short to deep halves. With the Safeties over top...
OLB has flats and MLB has middle to deep center man
That is in the 4-3..

In the 3-4 one of the ILB will cover the flat on the side of the OLB blitz. DB coverage is the same.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

PatriotFan90
Veteran

Postby PatriotFan90 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:31 pm

BUS36 wrote:it all depends on what the offensive formation is, along with down and distance.

Basic cover 2 or 2 shell... is that the safeties play deep halves with the corners playing short to deep halves. With the Safeties over top...
That is in the 4-3..

In the 3-4 one of the ILB will cover the flat on the side of the OLB blitz. DB coverage is the same.

Thank you for your reply!

I think you may be talking about "spot drop coverage." I was talking about pattern reading where the defenders start out in zone drops, and then either cover a player man to man, help "rob" another offensive player, or some other task, depending on the route ran by their key(s)).

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:40 pm

PatriotFan90 wrote:
BUS36 wrote:it all depends on what the offensive formation is, along with down and distance.

That is in the 4-3..

Thank you for your reply!

I think you may be talking about "spot drop coverage." I was talking about pattern reading where the defenders start out in zone drops, and then either cover a player man to man, help "rob" another offensive player, or some other task, depending on the route ran by their key(s)).

Sadly, there are no "True" pattern read defensive sets in 08, so 2 Read and true Quarters concepts are hard to apply. They would mostly resemble Cover 2 and Cover 4.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

ShoNuff
Rookie

Postby ShoNuff » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 pm

In 'Front Page Sports Football' many years ago, you could make the linebackers pause for X seconds then read weather a run or pass, then act accordingly with 'if run then X and if pass then Y. I used to love that game for designing plays.
"Being aware of a single shortcoming within yourself is far more useful than being aware of a thousand in someone else" -Dalai Lama

Return to “Plays and playbooks”