Possible Project: Overhauling every playbook in the Gamedata.dat file

Col. Trautman
MVP

Re: Possible Project: Overhauling every playbook in the Gamedata.dat file

Postby Col. Trautman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:06 pm

I think that KeepinItTeal will be the best guy to ask about the Jags playbooks. He is the in forum expert.

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Col. Trautman wrote:I think that KeepinItTeal will be the best guy to ask about the Jags playbooks. He is the in forum expert.

The data mauro_rojo got is pretty good, I can do something with it. I was hoping KeepinItTeal would pop around to make comments on the Jags D. Hopefully he does eventually.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 am

All right, half of the Jaguars work is done. Starting with the Saints playbook for the Jaguars, I added the next:

• Added more Singleback sets. This includes an Empty Bunch Set.
  • Removed the PBAIs from the Split-Pro set. The AI will rarely, if ever, use it.
  • Added more Gun sets, namely a Spread set and a Empty Set.
  • Singleback Empty by default has a HB in the slot. Gun Empty by default has a TE in the slot.
  • Renamed the formations and some plays.
Attachments
JagsO.pbo
(216.71 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

mauro_rojo
Pro Bowl

Postby mauro_rojo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:10 pm

This PFF data will help I guess:

Col. Trautman
MVP

Postby Col. Trautman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Well, in testing, the Jag's Offense plays very well. I am able to select the Split Back formation, should I still be able to do that?

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:56 pm

Col. Trautman wrote:Well, in testing, the Jag's Offense plays very well. I am able to select the Split Back formation, should I still be able to do that?

Yep, that was deliberate design. If I tried to remove the Split Backs set with another set, like say, a Pistol set, a lot of plays would simply get F'd up due to the way the playbooks are handled. All playbooks use kind of like a dictionary of routes and actions each player will do. If you alter a single action (Like telling a FB to run a route instead of páss block) that can alter all of the playbook (That same pass route maybe was used by the O-Linemen in the whole playbook, which results in Lineman running up field asking for a pass).

The work around for this, and they way I should actually do it, is to import every formation I want into an empty, Madden generated playbook. The problem is, this would take a hell of a lot more time, as I would have to reassign the PBAIs so that the CPU can properly use the playbook, and there is no batch method for this, I have to reassign play by play every tag. This still happens when I import formations as well. This is the reason why my other project, which is recreating the Madden NFL 18 playbooks themselves, is not going to be started in a while, because it takes a lot of time to recreate almost every play, then assign those tags to the correct plays.

The TLDR is: it is intended, because it is faster. Don't worry, the AI is very likely to not use the Split Backs set.
Semper fi

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 pm

All right, here we go. Taking the playbook Doug Marrone had assinged, which is the Lions defensive playbook, I did the next changes:

• 4-3 Sets are left unaffected.
  • On Nickel 4-2-5 Normal, 4-2-5 Strong and Dime 3-2-6, the LOLB#1 and the ROLB#1 (Who are Myles Jack and Telvin Smith respectively) will be the LBs on the field by default. Appropriate subpackages are added to sub in the MLB#1
  • On Dime 4-1-6 Normal, Quarter 3-1-7 and 3-1-7 3 Deep, the LB present on the field is the ROLB#1 (Telvin Smith) by default. Appropiate sub packages were added to sub in the MLB#1 or LOLB#1.

This is a playbook that did not have too crazy edits. The most important change I'll like to do would be changing the default game by telling their CBs to always do press coverage by default on man coverage, however, I'm not sure how to do that. You can do it on Human vs. CPU and Coach Mode, but not CPU vs. CPU. I would also have liked to remove some blitzes, as the Jaguars rarely use them, relying on their front 4 to put pressure (which is pretty good), but that is very trouble some and could cause glitches on the game.
Attachments
JagsD.pbd
(84.71 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Semper fi

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Sorry for not being able to update a lot of the playbooks, I'm quite busy IRL. All right, next up is the Rams. Their HC, Sean McVay, has assigned the Redskins playbook. However, I tried decompressing that playbook, but it doesn't open in any of the playbook editors I have. I what I'll do is search for another similar playbook. The playbook that most resembles the Madden 18 playbook is the Broncos playbook, so I'll take that as a base. So, with our base, the Broncos playbook, compared to the Madden 18 Rams playbook, we have the next formations that are similar:

• Singleback: Big (Ace), Twin TE WR (Wing Slot), Normal (Doubles). Formations not present are: Big Twin WR (Ace Slot), Normal Slot (Doubles Flex), Base Flex, Empty Trey.
  • I Formation: Normal (Pro). Formations not present are: Big, Twin WR (Pro Twins), Close.
  • Strong I: Normal (Pro). Formations not present are: Twin WR (Pro Twins), Big Tight (Big Close).
  • Weak I: Normal (Pro). Formations not present are: Twin WR (Pro Twins), Close, Tight Twins.
  • No Pistol set. That needs to be added.
  • Shotgun: Normal Slot (Doubles Offset). Formations not present are: Empty Trey, 5WR (Empty).

So, the work to be done here is:
  • Add 1 or 2 Singleback sets.
  • Add a Pistol Formation.
  • Add a lot of Shotgun sets.
Semper fi

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

A possible mistake.

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 am

So, while reading around in the "Sliders and Adjustments" section I found a post that relates the GameData.dat file to the AI effectiveness. Apparently, the vanilla Madden NFL 08 Gamedata.dat file produces the best AI effectiveness, pace of play and gameflow than the PS2 Madden NFL 11 Gamedata.dat. I've been doing these playbooks using the Madden NFL 11 Gamedata.dat, which might result in the AI not being as effective as it could be when using the vanilla playbooks or these custom playbooks. This is something I notcied a lot in my franchise.

So, what do you think I should do? Keep doing the playbooks using the M11 Playbooks, or reverting to the M08 playbooks and starting over (I'll start to get a tad more time to do playbooks on the next weeks, so I should start to bring out playbooks a tad faster)? Since I wrote down most of the modifications done, I could do the second option, but is up to you people.
Semper fi

Col. Trautman
MVP

Postby Col. Trautman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Ugh that is a tough call as the FI mod uses the Madden NFL 11 ps2 gamedata.dat file. When completed I would think that the team here would want to add your great playbook work to the mod. Regardless the gamedata dat file will have to be modified be it the vanilla or the ps2 version so I really don't see how the playbooks used to create them to begin with can have an affect on AI performance when the new books are assigned after the fact to the dat file.

TL:DR I think that the work can be done as conveniently as possible then dropped into the vanilla gamedata.dat or the ps2 version without serious AI ramifications.

Return to “Plays and playbooks”