Unconventional Plays that work

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Re: Unconventional Plays that work

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:45 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:You must really have mastered the screen plays lol....I can never get them to work for me much lol....I almost never call screens unless its as a distraction while the other pass catchers run streaks down the field lol

I run HB Screens a fair amount of time. I usually run 2 or 3 per quarter. I always run them from the shotgun. I wait until the defenders are close, then throw the ball. And since it is Le'Veon Bell, he can dodge defenders pretty easily. He can run them over too, but that doesn't look like something he'll do. More like something Jerome Bettis would.

BUS36 wrote:I use NE Offensive playbook..since it mimics the Steelers..here is what I like..

That's interesting. Never knew that. I actually though the playbook that replicated the Steelers the most was ... well ... PIT Off playbook.

Which Defensive playbook mimics the Steelers?

Nobody mentioned any defensive plays so far, so my got to play against 4 WR sets is, from the NE def playbook or the 3-4 playbook. "Dime - Normal: Zone Blitz". Basically a Cover 3 Shell, 3 defenders in short coverage and 5 rushers. I spread out the D-Line and let the bltizing corner (Which is the dimeback) get in there and get an easy sack.And when they start catching up, I just flip the play and let the nickel back get some sacks too

I got some real gems for defensive plays :D all from the balanced D playbook .....my basic m.o. is blitz hard and aggressive which leads to massive amounts of turnovers....I average about 5-8 picks per game just from my aggressive playcalling on defense all-madden default sliders no assists....

for pass plays involving crossing routes over the middle (usually the 3 wr sets) call a regular 3-4 cover 3...super effective and gets you at least 2-3 picks per game if executed properly......also you can call this on the goal-line and then play press/pinch coverage where you stack the box all while retaining the 3-4 cover 3 set.....you can stop their run game even if the run using a linebacker with this play .....however the only liability is if they call a toss play...well then you are screwed....unless you have a fast safety or db who can get to the edge and make the tackle....lol.... however I used this play so well I can get the offense to settle for field goals (which I block) or get picked off in the endzone when they throw fades or flat routes lol.....

There are more plays I have to defend against 4 and 5 wr sets.....all of them involve a db blitz of some sort.....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:You must really have mastered the screen plays lol....I can never get them to work for me much lol....I almost never call screens unless its as a distraction while the other pass catchers run streaks down the field lol

I run HB Screens a fair amount of time. I usually run 2 or 3 per quarter. I always run them from the shotgun. I wait until the defenders are close, then throw the ball. And since it is Le'Veon Bell, he can dodge defenders pretty easily. He can run them over too, but that doesn't look like something he'll do. More like something Jerome Bettis would.

BUS36 wrote:I use NE Offensive playbook..since it mimics the Steelers..here is what I like..

That's interesting. Never knew that. I actually though the playbook that replicated the Steelers the most was ... well ... PIT Off playbook.

Nobody mentioned any defensive plays so far, so my got to play against 4 WR sets is, from the NE def playbook or the 3-4 playbook. "Dime - Normal: Zone Blitz". Basically a Cover 3 Shell, 3 defenders in short coverage and 5 rushers. I spread out the D-Line and let the bltizing corner (Which is the dimeback) get in there and get an easy sack.And when they start catching up, I just flip the play and let the nickel back get some sacks too

I got some real gems for defensive plays :D all from the balanced D playbook .....my basic m.o. is blitz hard and aggressive which leads to massive amounts of turnovers....I average about 5-8 picks per game just from my aggressive playcalling on defense all-madden default sliders no assists....

for pass plays involving crossing routes over the middle (usually the 3 wr sets) call a regular 3-4 cover 3...super effective and gets you at least 2-3 picks per game if executed properly......also you can call this on the goal-line and then play press/pinch coverage where you stack the box all while retaining the 3-4 cover 3 set.....you can stop their run game even if the run using a linebacker with this play .....however the only liability is if they call a toss play...well then you are screwed....unless you have a fast safety or db who can get to the edge and make the tackle....lol.... however I used this play so well I can get the offense to settle for field goals (which I block) or get picked off in the endzone when they throw fades or flat routes lol.....

There are more plays I have to defend against 4 and 5 wr sets.....all of them involve a db blitz of some sort.....

My Defense is pretty similar, 50% of my calls is zone blitz, 30% of the calls are man blitz and the rest is the basic 2 Man Under or Cover 3. During the 2 min defense, I call either "Dime - Normal : Quarters Zone" if I'm willing to give up short throws. Or "Dime - Normal: DB Blitz" (AKA Zone Blitz but with man coverage) and tell my guys to press. If the Dime back is fast enough, he can get to the pocket right after the receivers break the press and get the sack. Most of the time I play with my corners off of the receivers. It allows them to react better to stuff like out routes than with base alignment.

On the Goal Line, my play is the "Goalline: Jam Middle". It gives the QB 2 choices: Throw that thing away or get sacked in 1.2 seconds.

BTW, what formations the Balanced O and Balanced D playbooks have?
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:23 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:

My Defense is pretty similar, 50% of my calls is zone blitz, 30% of the calls are man blitz and the rest is the basic 2 Man Under or Cover 3. During the 2 min defense, I call either "Dime - Normal : Quarters Zone" if I'm willing to give up short throws. Or "Dime - Normal: DB Blitz" (AKA Zone Blitz but with man coverage) and tell my guys to press. If the Dime back is fast enough, he can get to the pocket right after the receivers break the press and get the sack. Most of the time I play with my corners off of the receivers. It allows them to react better to stuff like out routes than with base alignment.

On the Goal Line, my play is the "Goalline: Jam Middle". It gives the QB 2 choices: Throw that thing away or get sacked in 1.2 seconds.

BTW, what formations the Balanced O and Balanced D playbooks have?

doing this from memory so bear with me if I miss a few including subpackages like big/small etc...
Balanced O - full house, (singleback big, 3wr, 5wr,) (I form big, normal, twin), (shotgun 3wr 2rb, 5wr, trips bunch,) (strong twin,) weak-1, goalline,

I may have missed a few but I love using singleback and full house formations as my go to plays....esp play action cannot be beat on those formations when executed well with hard pump fakes or on the run throws....

Balanced D- nickel normal, 335, 115
dime normal, 3-2, 2-4-6
quarter normal, quarter -3
3-4 normal, over, solid
4-3 normal, over, solid
goal-line
46 normal and bear

may missed a few numbers but I stick with mostly the dime, nickel 3-4 and 4-3 packages along with quarter for 2 min drill defense...

my fav plays that help me play stellar defense.....

dime normal - db blitz - i got like 15 sacks just calling this every damn time lol....for sitting duck qbs like peyton manning and brady (harder to sack but can be done if fast enough) for one player getting 15 sacks on all-madden is hilarious.....
quarter - call quarter blitz....where 2nd fs near LOS can blitz while 3 down linemen.....sit on the LOS.....

4-3 free fire....this play is best called on 1st and 2nd down whether run or pass you will get a loss of yardage as long as you use your linebackers effectively to either sack the qb or tackle the runner for loss....the only way to beat this play is if the offense calls an effective hb or wr screen...then you are screwed otherwise even calling this on 5 wr sets is not unheard of....I still do that and 90% of the time I get a sack or throw away pass from the qb...

3-4 call the cover 3 as metnioed above...also call the 3-4 pinch....or even cover 2 in this formation....best is cover 3 works for all sorts of pass plays ecept if you dont get to the qb in time and they throw a long pass past your fs/ss zones your screwed.....2 man under is also a good coverage play but i rarely use it as I am just a blitz addict....

nickel normal - slot corner blitz....., good to get sacks, overload blitz, under smoke....

nickel 3-3-5 line backer blitz very good

46 = rarely called but once in a while I call it if my opponent is on their own 1 yard line to try for a safety....

I should mention that although the punt block is in the balanced D playbook it is by far the most effective play on defensive special teams....who needs a return when you get a fumble/block and a score! lol....I made a tutorial on how to block punts that is posted on this site somewhere else....
it is a simple play that should be learned becasue it is so effective in terms of being a true game changer....in terms of field position or even scoring....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:43 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:doing this from memory so bear with me if I miss a few including subpackages like big/small etc...
Balanced O - full house, (singleback big, 3wr, 5wr,) (I form big, normal, twin), (shotgun 3wr 2rb, 5wr, trips bunch,) (strong twin,) weak-1, goalline,

I may have missed a few but I love using singleback and full house formations as my go to plays....esp play action cannot be beat on those formations when executed well with hard pump fakes or on the run throws....

dime normal, 3-2, 2-4-6
3-4 normal, over, solid
4-3 normal, over, solid
goal-line
46 normal and bear

may missed a few numbers but I stick with mostly the dime, nickel 3-4 and 4-3 packages along with quarter for 2 min drill defense...

dime normal - db blitz - i got like 15 sacks just calling this every damn time lol....for sitting duck qbs like peyton manning and brady (harder to sack but can be done if fast enough) for one player getting 15 sacks on all-madden is hilarious.....
quarter - call quarter blitz....where 2nd fs near LOS can blitz while 3 down linemen.....sit on the LOS.....

4-3 free fire....this play is best called on 1st and 2nd down whether run or pass you will get a loss of yardage as long as you use your linebackers effectively to either sack the qb or tackle the runner for loss....the only way to beat this play is if the offense calls an effective hb or wr screen...then you are screwed otherwise even calling this on 5 wr sets is not unheard of....I still do that and 90% of the time I get a sack or throw away pass from the qb...

3-4 call the cover 3 as metnioed above...also call the 3-4 pinch....or even cover 2 in this formation....best is cover 3 works for all sorts of pass plays ecept if you dont get to the qb in time and they throw a long pass past your fs/ss zones your screwed.....2 man under is also a good coverage play but i rarely use it as I am just a blitz addict....

nickel normal - slot corner blitz....., good to get sacks, overload blitz, under smoke....

46 = rarely called but once in a while I call it if my opponent is on their own 1 yard line to try for a safety....

I should mention that although the punt block is in the balanced D playbook it is by far the most effective play on defensive special teams....who needs a return when you get a fumble/block and a score! lol....I made a tutorial on how to block punts that is posted on this site somewhere else....
it is a simple play that should be learned becasue it is so effective in terms of being a true game changer....in terms of field position or even scoring....

From memory, the NE Off Playbook has

Singleback - Ace (or Big if you prefer), Ace-Twin WR, Twin TE-Twin WR, Jumbo (AKA 3TE), Normal Slot, Tight Slots, 4WR, Empty 5 WR
I Form - Normal, Big, Twin TE. (It kills me that the is no Twin WR set)
Strong I - Normal, Big, Jumbo. (There is no Weak I as a base formation, only achievable through motion of the FB)
Shotgun - Normal, Strong TE Flip, TE Trips (IIRC it was called like this), 4 WR, 4WR Spread (The left receivers are lined up differently), 5 WR, Empty Trey Stack
GoalLine (Or I Form - Jumbo)

And the 3-4 Playbook has

3-4 - Over, Normal, Under, Solid
Nickel 2-4-5, 3-3-5, 1-5-5, 1-5-5 Prowl (I don't use the last 2, I don't get them)
Dime - Normal, 3-2-5
Quarter - Normal, 3 Deep

I though the Punt Block play was exactly the same in all playbooks. Actually, I though all Special Teams plays were the same. So far I got 1 blocked punt (In the Super Bowl of all games) and a fair amount of blocked FGs and XPs.

I started to recently start calling more the 5 WR sets. I see the Steelers really like to come out with an empty backfield a fair amount of time, so I want to replicate that. Also, I keep Bell as a receiver, because he has hands.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

ballerv13
Rookie

Postby ballerv13 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:50 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:doing this from memory so bear with me if I miss a few including subpackages like big/small etc...

dime normal, 3-2, 2-4-6
3-4 normal, over, solid
4-3 normal, over, solid
goal-line
46 normal and bear

Singleback - Ace (or Big if you prefer), Ace-Twin WR, Twin TE-Twin WR, Jumbo (AKA 3TE), Normal Slot, Tight Slots, 4WR, Empty 5 WR
Strong I - Normal, Big, Jumbo. (There is no Weak I as a base formation, only achievable through motion of the FB)
Shotgun - Normal, Strong TE Flip, TE Trips (IIRC it was called like this), 4 WR, 4WR Spread (The left receivers are lined up differently), 5 WR, Empty Trey Stack

And the 3-4 Playbook has

Nickel 2-4-5, 3-3-5, 1-5-5, 1-5-5 Prowl (I don't use the last 2, I don't get them)
Dime - Normal, 3-2-5
Quarter - Normal, 3 Deep

I though the Punt Block play was exactly the same in all playbooks. Actually, I though all Special Teams plays were the same. So far I got 1 blocked punt (In the Super Bowl of all games) and a fair amount of blocked FGs and XPs.

I started to recently start calling more the 5 WR sets. I see the Steelers really like to come out with an empty backfield a fair amount of time, so I want to replicate that. Also, I keep Bell as a receiver, because he has hands.

Is this the default NE playbook? there is a weak I form there, also there is no Shotgun 4 WR Spread ( talking about default NE Playbook )

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:52 pm

ballerv13 wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:

dime normal, 3-2, 2-4-6
3-4 normal, over, solid
4-3 normal, over, solid
goal-line
46 normal and bear

And the 3-4 Playbook has

Dime - Normal, 3-2-5
Quarter - Normal, 3 Deep

Is this the default NE playbook? there is a weak I form there, also there is no Shotgun 4 WR Spread ( talking about default NE Playbook )

Assuming you use the FF/FI mod, which uses the playbooks from Madden NFL 11, you will have the formations I mentioned. If not then you will have the Weak I but not the 4WR Spread. There is still the Empty Trey Stack IIRC.
Semper fi

ballerv13
Rookie

Postby ballerv13 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:00 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
ballerv13 wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:

And the 3-4 Playbook has

Dime - Normal, 3-2-5
Quarter - Normal, 3 Deep

Assuming you use the FF/FI mod, which uses the playbooks from Madden NFL 11, you will have the formations I mentioned. If not then you will have the Weak I but not the 4WR Spread. There is still the Empty Trey Stack IIRC.

oh, I see. I play with default playbooks, on a online league.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:28 pm

A very interesting play I forgot to mention. The "PIT - Mike Tomlin" Playbook has a very interesting play from the Shotgun - Normal formation. IS called "Quick Punt" and is exactly that. The ball is snapped and the QB punts the football. Not entirely sure how useful that would be on a real situation, or why would you have a play like that at all.
Semper fi

Col. Trautman
MVP

Postby Col. Trautman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 pm

Well that FB Fake HB Toss Play worked like a charm! Matt Barkley went out on his second throw, so got stuck with Hundley and had to pound out the game against the Philadelphia defense with only short passes on slants and outs and running heavily, that play in particular worked well after a 18 play drive; ended up winning 33 to 7, thanks to Ha-Ha Clinton Dix picking Wentz off 5 times. Off to Carolina to face the Panthers for the Division, Aaron's back but listed as QST so I don't really know what to do about playing him :? Thanks again for pointing out that play!

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:12 am

jose21crisis wrote:A very interesting play I forgot to mention. The "PIT - Mike Tomlin" Playbook has a very interesting play from the Shotgun - Normal formation. IS called "Quick Punt" and is exactly that. The ball is snapped and the QB punts the football. Not entirely sure how useful that would be on a real situation, or why would you have a play like that at all.

Actually, I remember a few years ago where ben roethlisberger actually punted on a play like that....it was back a few years ago....okay I found it
just type in ben roethlisberger punt and walla....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twq-8iibiXE

this is that play shotgun formation with a qb punt....lol makes sense though because ben was one of those all-state type athletes in different sports.....

im actually impressed i remembered this play happened in real life 5 years ago lol.....

Return to “Plays and playbooks”