Unconventional Plays that work

mee
Hall of Fame

Re: Unconventional Plays that work

Postby mee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 am

I've found that curl routes are extremely effective. Even against double coverage.

Also, the wheel routes. The Giants playbook has an I-form with the number 1 receiver in the slot. If there is man there the wheel route beats it, and if it's zone I throw a line drive into the gap between the CB and S.
So the Giants traded Beckham....

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:10 pm

mee wrote:I've found that curl routes are extremely effective. Even against double coverage.

Also, the wheel routes. The Giants playbook has an I-form with the number 1 receiver in the slot. If there is man there the wheel route beats it, and if it's zone I throw a line drive into the gap between the CB and S.

That's one of the reasons I like Pittsburg's offensive playbook (Although I prefer New England's now). There are 2 plays in there that are OP. The first one is a WR screen, nothing too impressive. The other one is a fake WR screen, in which the slot receiver does a wheel route. No matter if it zone or man. 90% of the time, whoever is suppossed to cover the slot receiver gets beat, and if there is no over the top help, it is 6 points.

The other route that I find is very OP comes from the New England playbook, specifically "Shotgun - Empty Tray Stack: Strong Overload". The Flanker runs a corner route and is ALWAYS left uncovered. And it ALWAYS nets more than 10 yards. I run that play when I'm frustrated enough to run an OP play.

And finally, my OP plays in the endzone are "I Form - Normal: FB Fake HB Toss", because the defense takes all the damn day in reacting, and Le'Veon Bell can run people over. The there is the "Goalline: HB Toss", because the blocking is too damn good on that one for some reason. The only play I know can counter that is "Goalline - Gaps Fire" and even then, it is hard.

Also, I might be the only person that throws to a curl route when there is a defender covering the flat. I still throw easy picks due to that ...
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 pm

this is not an unconventional play per se but I put up a small pdf tutorial on how to throw the fade/hot route slant/post to corner of the endzone using the LOB technique, the GUN/Fastball overhead technique, and the GUN/Fastball sideways technique....

I'm sure a lot of the older players of madden know how to do these throws but this is for those who would like to learn how to throw more of these fade routes/corner endzone throws with a high rate of completion and very low interception rate....I went a full season in franchise mode all madden without throwing a single interception and throwing 125 tds using these techniques.......feel free to provide feedback or suggestions :D

LINK BELOW:

viewtopic.php?f=11&p=111102#p111102
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:37 pm

Reposted from other thread but still a good play you can use....similar to plays NE used to use back with randy moss and welker to get welker free releases by using wr post routes that cross to create a "pick/screen" legally in the game......

REPOST:

That shotgun play I think is similar to ones i use with the shotgun 5 wr.....I basically take the innermost slot wr and have him do a post to the corner of the endzone while the outside most wr takes an inward post....(the play ends up looking similar to "smashed fork" in singleback.....basically it allows the inner slot wr free release and automatic TD....also if you take the middle slot wr and also do an innward post it can act as a sort of "pick/screen" on the FS/DB and your inner slot man can have a free release/no coverage play.....

Singleback 5WR is also good for this type of play....

The benefit of shotgun is your about 5-7 yrd behind the LOS and you can plant your feet and throw rather quickly on those flag routes.....whereas the singleback will work but takes a bit longer in terms of setting up to throw in the pocket......

Another good trick is to throw right at the wr's break in the pattern....for example when he's going straight and just about to break to the right side endzone ....right at the break axis point throw the ball....your completion rate will be much higher and also its safer in terms of not getting an interception...
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

ballerv13
Rookie

Postby ballerv13 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:09 am

jose21crisis wrote:
mee wrote:I've found that curl routes are extremely effective. Even against double coverage.

That's one of the reasons I like Pittsburg's offensive playbook (Although I prefer New England's now). There are 2 plays in there that are OP. The first one is a WR screen, nothing too impressive. The other one is a fake WR screen, in which the slot receiver does a wheel route. No matter if it zone or man. 90% of the time, whoever is suppossed to cover the slot receiver gets beat, and if there is no over the top help, it is 6 points.

The other route that I find is very OP comes from the New England playbook, specifically "Shotgun - Empty Tray Stack: Strong Overload". The Flanker runs a corner route and is ALWAYS left uncovered. And it ALWAYS nets more than 10 yards. I run that play when I'm frustrated enough to run an OP play.

And finally, my OP plays in the endzone are "I Form - Normal: FB Fake HB Toss", because the defense takes all the damn day in reacting, and Le'Veon Bell can run people over. The there is the "Goalline: HB Toss", because the blocking is too damn good on that one for some reason. The only play I know can counter that is "Goalline - Gaps Fire" and even then, it is hard.

Also, I might be the only person that throws to a curl route when there is a defender covering the flat. I still throw easy picks due to that ...

do you have any other good plays from the NE playbook? I'm looking to explore more passing options, I like that playbook a lot.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 am

ballerv13 wrote:do you have any other good plays from the NE playbook? I'm looking to explore more passing options, I like that playbook a lot.

From the top of my head I remember:

"Shotgun - 4 WR Spread: Slants Middle": Because every playbook I use has to have some slants. Your reads are the slot receivers, as soon as one of them have no one in front of them, send a bullet to them. You can wait a bit longer and send it to the outside receivers, but it is a bit harder.

"Singleback - 4 WR: HB Dive": This is a base formation and a base play. What you do depends on the defense. If they come out in a Nickle or Dime Package, send the run right up the gut. If they come out in a 4-3 or 3-4, use a formation audible to a quick pass (Press S, then Shift + Up) or a deep pass (Press S, then Shift + Right) to take advantage of the speed on the field.

"I Form - Normal: HB Toss": Simple play, follow your blockers and turn up field as soon as you have every in front blocked. If necessary, use the Highlight Stick to run a man over or dodge him.

"Shotgun - Empty Tray Stack: Strong Overload": Your are looking at the right side, you have 3 receivers in a trips formation. Look at the one in the middle. He will run a flag route, AKA a post route to the sideline. The moment he breaks, rifle it high to him. He is usually left alone, but still read the defense.

"Shotgun - Normal: Motion Cross": Your Left outside receiver will go in motion and will do a deep drag route. If there is no defender there, bullet it to him. Your next read is the left slot receiver, he is going to run an out route. If he gets open, gun it to him. Your final reads are your right receiver, who is running a route deep and usually doesn't get open, and your halfback, that IIRC is running to the flats.

"Singleback - 5 WR: Hail Mary": IIRC that play was there. Because no playbook is correct without a Hail Mary.

"Shotgun - Normal: HB Sweep": A running play out of the shotgun with actually good blocking

"Shotgun - 4 WR: Patriots Cross" Your reads go this way. Left Outside receiver (Drag Route), Left Slot receiver (Flag Route), Right Slot Receiver (Deep In), Right Outside receiver (Deep Post)
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:02 am

jose21crisis wrote:
ballerv13 wrote:do you have any other good plays from the NE playbook? I'm looking to explore more passing options, I like that playbook a lot.

From the top of my head I remember:

"Shotgun - 4 WR Spread: Slants Middle": Because every playbook I use has to have some slants. Your reads are the slot receivers, as soon as one of them have no one in front of them, send a bullet to them. You can wait a bit longer and send it to the outside receivers, but it is a bit harder.

"Singleback - 4 WR: HB Dive": This is a base formation and a base play. What you do depends on the defense. If they come out in a Nickle or Dime Package, send the run right up the gut. If they come out in a 4-3 or 3-4, use a formation audible to a quick pass (Press S, then Shift + Up) or a deep pass (Press S, then Shift + Right) to take advantage of the speed on the field.

"I Form - Normal: HB Toss": Simple play, follow your blockers and turn up field as soon as you have every in front blocked. If necessary, use the Highlight Stick to run a man over or dodge him.

"Shotgun - Empty Tray Stack: Strong Overload": Your are looking at the right side, you have 3 receivers in a trips formation. Look at the one in the middle. He will run a flag route, AKA a post route to the sideline. The moment he breaks, rifle it high to him. He is usually left alone, but still read the defense.

"Shotgun - Normal: Motion Cross": Your Left outside receiver will go in motion and will do a deep drag route. If there is no defender there, bullet it to him. Your next read is the left slot receiver, he is going to run an out route. If he gets open, gun it to him. Your final reads are your right receiver, who is running a route deep and usually doesn't get open, and your halfback, that IIRC is running to the flats.

"Singleback - 5 WR: Hail Mary": IIRC that play was there. Because no playbook is correct without a Hail Mary.

"Shotgun - Normal: HB Sweep": A running play out of the shotgun with actually good blocking

"Shotgun - 4 WR: Patriots Cross" Your reads go this way. Left Outside receiver (Drag Route), Left Slot receiver (Flag Route), Right Slot Receiver (Deep In), Right Outside receiver (Deep Post)

Nice choices! I use some of those plays in the balanced playbook as well like the shotgun normal-hb sweep, if you time the spin moves correctly you can take it the distance and at worst get a 20 yrd net run....

I form normal hb toss is also good.....best to move your FB outside of the TE's side so you have a wall of blockers...of course the defense should be read for shifts on the d-line and linebacker blitz/shifts...

Singleback 4wr hb cutback is also a very good one where you can net 7 yards running if you have good blocking wr's.....

I absolutely love using the singleback 5 wr sets....they have some really good plays and easily modifiable with playmaker/hotroutes to screw with the defense....esp when they play a 3-4 cover 3 lol.....its like an offensive pass party!!!! just throw all over the field and taunt the pc with celebration high steps to the endzone all day.....

shotgun 5 wr is also good but I find the computer plays more dime/quarter when you choose that part of the playbook compared to singleback 5 wr.....lol i don't know why since the only difference between shotgun and singleback is the qb being far from the center snap ....but there is still 5 wrs to cover lol....

Singleback-big flea flicker -with modified hot route/playmaker wr's streaks.....its best to modify the wr streak routes as the original routes end up going out of bounds (esp if you have a low pass accuracy qb).....not to mention you can take your best TE on a streak up the middle and get a solid chunk of yardage if the db's and safeties shade each wr.....

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:47 am

I use NE Offensive playbook..since it mimics the Steelers..here is what I like..

Shotgun 5 WR " WR Screen"...the WR on the 3 WR side ...the outside WR will take a step inside after catching the ball ..you must spin back to the outside. I have out of 10 tries... 9 completions 3 TDS and 7 first downs of various distances.

Singleback WR Screen.. The Slot Reciever ( TE) takes off on an " UP and GO route"..in man you can hit that slot with a slight lead on the GO.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm

BUS36 wrote:I use NE Offensive playbook..since it mimics the Steelers..here is what I like..

Shotgun 5 WR " WR Screen"...the WR on the 3 WR side ...the outside WR will take a step inside after catching the ball ..you must spin back to the outside. I have out of 10 tries... 9 completions 3 TDS and 7 first downs of various distances.

Singleback WR Screen.. The Slot Reciever ( TE) takes off on an " UP and GO route"..in man you can hit that slot with a slight lead on the GO.

You must really have mastered the screen plays lol....I can never get them to work for me much lol....I almost never call screens unless its as a distraction while the other pass catchers run streaks down the field lol

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:38 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:You must really have mastered the screen plays lol....I can never get them to work for me much lol....I almost never call screens unless its as a distraction while the other pass catchers run streaks down the field lol

I run HB Screens a fair amount of time. I usually run 2 or 3 per quarter. I always run them from the shotgun. I wait until the defenders are close, then throw the ball. And since it is Le'Veon Bell, he can dodge defenders pretty easily. He can run them over too, but that doesn't look like something he'll do. More like something Jerome Bettis would.

BUS36 wrote:I use NE Offensive playbook..since it mimics the Steelers..here is what I like..

That's interesting. Never knew that. I actually though the playbook that replicated the Steelers the most was ... well ... PIT Off playbook.

Which Defensive playbook mimics the Steelers?

Nobody mentioned any defensive plays so far, so my got to play against 4 WR sets is, from the NE def playbook or the 3-4 playbook. "Dime - Normal: Zone Blitz". Basically a Cover 3 Shell, 3 defenders in short coverage and 5 rushers. I spread out the D-Line and let the bltizing corner (Which is the dimeback) get in there and get an easy sack.And when they start catching up, I just flip the play and let the nickel back get some sacks too
Semper fi

Return to “Plays and playbooks”