Unconventional Plays that work

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:53 pm

Hello all,
I am going to start posting some "unconventional" plays that I use to get massive yardage and scores. Note they are not cheat codes or exploits/scripts. Just innovative new ways to think about gaming in M08. An example I will give is calling the Onside recover despite knowing that the kickoff will be a regular kickoff.....doing the onside recover will have all your blockers lined up on one side and form a sort of wedge ( i know wedge blocking is illegal) but blockers lined up like that form a barrier.....

I returned a kick-off from the goal line (reg kick off with onside recover formation) all the way for a TD 101 yards. I will post the replay once I find it in my replay cache but there are some neat strategies I will post along with replays when I find them....

Also it should be noted the onside recover can get you (if your returner is good too) up to at least the 40 or 45 yard line on return. Of course you should use your juke/highlight stick moves but if your good enough I have never started worse than the 40 (default sliders all madden).....in terms of field position.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Sponsor

Sponsor

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Re: Unconventional Plays that work

Postby 1312qohelet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 am

Cool..
It's always interesting to see methods used by other gamers....looking forward to updates.

If you take requests, you should re-introduce your Punt-Block Play. I think those, who haven't seen it would really get a kick out of it. I still use it, as a matter of fact. Not all the time, because it is so effective.
But, it's a great "revenge" play. Especially if the CPU pulls some B.S. on you ;)

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 am

Spider 2 Y Banana... I think that is pretty conventional;

the Reverse Jet Sweep sometimes works great... TD or -10 yds ahahahaha

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:25 am

1312qohelet wrote:Cool..
It's always interesting to see methods used by other gamers....looking forward to updates.

If you take requests, you should re-introduce your Punt-Block Play. I think those, who haven't seen it would really get a kick out of it. I still use it, as a matter of fact. Not all the time, because it is so effective.
But, it's a great "revenge" play. Especially if the CPU pulls some B.S. on you ;)

Haha good to hear from you Q! Yea here is the link to that punt block play with zipped replays included (note you may need specific dat files from possibly older mods to view the replays....revanfan has a post below my post on that forum specifiying which ones...)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19297&p=92724&hilit=punt+block#p92724

I agree, that the computer does do some magic houdini moves when you esp run up the score on it....magic fumbles all the way from magic floating interceptions that defy gravity and land off original trajectory....or once the player catches it and runs 5 yards magically drops/fumbles the ball and the original offensive team recovers....basically similar to a punt with the punting team recovering a muff......I hate the percentages on highlight stick plays....it becomes unreasonable sometimes the level of fumbles you have when using the RB or QB to run through a defender.....the chance of fumbling (as mentioned by other FI users) is completely unreal.....

I have a ton of replays to sort (thanks madden08 for their stupid replay saving method of numbering replays)....but when I find some good ones I will post them....

I must admit I have only tried the zig-zag return method once on kick return and got a successful one but overall I found that kick returning is best done using only the spin move....jukes are ok but just not as effective in dodging defenders plus since they mostly move laterally in terms of juking it gives the defender a bit of time to catch up...the spin is much more effective as you are still moving forward and any type of recovery by the defender is highly unlikely.....

one time I spun 4-5 times with no juke moves and returned it 102 yards for a td lol......bottom line the spin move is your best friend returning regular kick offs....

Another one I love using is the fake field goal punt.....of course sometimes I go for outrageous fg's like 59yarders and convert probably 66-70% of them.....but its kind of a fun play to watch being executed from around the 50 yard line or so and I think its a bit more effective in terms of pinning the other team.
The regular punt has a harder time on all-madden depending on wind conditions of pinning the team inside the 10 yrd line....while the fake field goal punt has the punter punting from a more diagonal stance....it is much easier to pin them inside the 10.....or have your cover men catch the ball inside the 5....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:29 am

achernar wrote:Spider 2 Y Banana... I think that is pretty conventional;

the Reverse Jet Sweep sometimes works great... TD or -10 yds ahahahaha

hmm never heard of the spider 2 y banana lol post a screenshot of it if you don't mind :)

the jet sweep is one of the worst plays lol......(maybe I stink at execution) but I normally only net 2 yrds (5 if lucky) but on defense just call a 4-3 free fire and use your MLB.....you can beat them down even before the qb handoff or the 2nd handoff to the wr.....for a 5-7 yrd loss.....the computer frequently tries this play on me with the colts, bengals, and even patriots....they always lose yardage lol....

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 am

Another one I use is the 1 Form -BIg Play action pass where the TE's and 1WR all are moving to the right in terms of route running. For those who want to know I use only the default Balanced playbooks on both def and off.....

Anyway you need a running qb of at least 87 spd or more (preferably more lol).....run the PA and let your TE's start crossing the middle of the field to the right after about 7-10 yards or so....then scramble to the left...beat the edge rusher and run for daylight lol....you will at worst get about a 25-30 yard scramble....if you have some good moves/speed you can beat the safety and take it to the house....

An example of a good qb to use this with is Marcus Mariota or even russell wilson....with Mariota I ran 67 yards using this play to the house with one spin move to out maneuver the safety who was coming to light me up.....one spin and he was cooked.....

The big hint with this is you need to move your wr's or TE around to make sure the defense is playing man-to-man....if they are playing zone you're screwed and will either be sacked or have a minimum gain of 2-3 yards....

Another way though not always fool proof is when they are playing zone on this I form big play action they will not cover the TE with a DB but just use a linebacker.....the DB will still be on the left side of the offense.....if the db is lined up man to man with your 2nd TE on the left side of the LOS...that means you can burn the defense with a good qb scramble...... because they are probably playing man to man.....

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 am

Another one I learned from fellow FI members here is the FG block.....but the key is to not go to tackle the qb/holder....sometimes that is hard to avoid but with timing you can throw your hands up to block the actual kick so you have a better chance of a TD return.....

using the right sided CB with speed 95 at least and close to the LOS to jump the snap.....

I have recently got the hang of this and returned 3 field goal blocks in one game using this technique lol.....I find it really cool that despite being an old game you can learn new tricks from other members here :D

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:10 pm

I hope Im not boring people but these are just some weird ways I play the game and found that it works lol....

okay another one is either using singleback or I form ....use hot route and make your WR's on the outside do post routes towards their respective sidelines....

aka if your Left WR on the left of the LOS have him run a hot route post to the Left sideline....same with the right wr....and other wr's ....now if you have a TE with at least 88 spd have him run a hot route streak or do a playmaker streak pattern (better imo) then using your qb snap the ball and do a good hard pump fake to bait the MLB/OLBs....if they are playing either zone or man the safeties will shade the wr's post patterns and the middle of the field will be one-on-one against the LB who honestly is usually slow around the early to mid 80's in terms of speed with possibly poor acceleration.....

Just lob the pass overhead (using the up arrow when throwing because you dont want to throw a flat interceptable ball.....but more of a Lob like in basketball.....and throw it far....your TE will do the rest and you can get a 40-50 yrd completion or even a touch down on several occasions....this also works with running backs ....do the same for the wr's post to sidelines and then have your RB (use motion to get him to the LOS for a better release off the snap) and have him playmaker streak to the endzone and lob it over the hapless LB trying to cover your star RB lol.....works every time.....

highly effective when you are backed up inside your own 10 and the defense is trying to get you in the endzone for a safety....or even if you're within your own 20...the defense is very susceptible to this long middle pass to either the TE or RB.....and as always the faster the player the more successful this play will be when executed....

Col. Trautman
MVP

Postby Col. Trautman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm

A play I get good results with on 3rd and long is the PA FB Wheel play from the weak-I. I sub the RB for a FB which puts a TE in the FB position. I hope you don't mind me popping in here with this! I get 20-30 yards a pop with that one just don't abuse it as the defense can get wise to it fast, I used it against the Steelers just this afternoon after being scoreless well into the 3rd Quarter. They somehow shut down the run and had Nelson double covered the whole game. Aaron Rodgers did some very un-Aaron like things threw 4 picks. I was playing coach mode, so it was certainly cringe worthy. I ended up winning 26-23 as time expired.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Col. Trautman wrote:A play I get good results with on 3rd and long is the PA FB Wheel play from the weak-I. I sub the RB for a FB which puts a TE in the FB position. I hope you don't mind me popping in here with this! I get 20-30 yards a pop with that one just don't abuse it as the defense can get wise to it fast, I used it against the Steelers just this afternoon after being scoreless well into the 3rd Quarter. They somehow shut down the run and had Nelson double covered the whole game. Aaron Rodgers did some very un-Aaron like things threw 4 picks. I was playing coach mode, so it was certainly cringe worthy. I ended up winning 26-23 as time expired.

lol no not at all :) I think its really cool to see new plays that have that splash of yardage and works over and over

I do somethign similar in terms of subs by using the Full-House curls play (balanced playbook) and going with the JUMBO package...this subs my 2nd TE for the FB position on the right...which can lead to a player with much better speed and sometimes better hands. I can get a solid 15-20 yrds and if my TE1 and timing is right I can use the highlight stick with my TE1 and just bash the 1 defender I need to miss an d take it to the house....I once used craig stevens (titans backup TE) with speed 82 to go 67 yards after a catch and highlight stick on a safety .....

similarly the Fullhouse - playaction is equally effective just forget the wr's crossing the middle on slants and read your RB/TE's curl up routes (idk what the term is but the route ends up looking like the letter J in terms of from the backfield (te's or rb's), good hard pump fake and maybe a little roll by the qb to left or right and then up arrow plus the button....to lob it over the defender and you have a TD as long as they catch the ball and the linebacker fell for the original pump fake.....

Return to “Plays and playbooks”