Who/What Would the "QB Contain" Book Be Good For?

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:27 am

QB Contain is a very fascinating creature, but I can't quite figure out what kind of defense this would be used for.

QB Contain contains the following base sets:

*3-4 Normal and 3-4 Under (no Over, Solid)
*4-3 Normal, Under, and Over (no Solid)

And the following subpackages:

*4-2-5, 2-4-5, and 3-3-5, a unique combination among Madden 08 playbooks.
*3-2-6 dime

Who or what is "QB Contain" supposed to be designed for? Could this be useful for an NFL defensive system? If so, which? And what would be the characteristics of that system?

1. One characteristic I see is that the base sets are heavily shifted toward the side with the LE/LOLB. The 4-3 Normal and Over base sets shift the defensive line toward the LE, and the 3-4 Under base set shifts the defensive line toward the LE. 3-4 Over shifts the line to the RE, and that set is not present in this book. There is more of an emphasis on the LOLB as the strong-side linebacker in this book.

2. Another characteristic is that the OLBs serve as edge-rushers and as traditional linebackers in base sets and in nickel sets.

3. Another characteristic is that the 2-4-5 nickel serves as equivalent to a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 nickel in systems with hybrid DE/OLBs. But this isn't really a hybrid book, it's a multiple-front book. If it had omitted the 3-4 sets and/or possibly the 4-3 Normal this would be a hybrid system similar to the Wade Phillips defense.

4. Could it possibly have more Cover 3? But again Carroll doesn't run a multiple-front scheme and 2-4-5 wouldn't really be a "look" the Seahawks give from what I see, unlike Phillips.

Carroll implements a good scheme to play off of the run focus he emphasized early on. The funny thing, though, is that he manages to do this with one of the more basic defensive schemes in the field in the Cover 3 scheme [...]

One of the outstanding features of the scheme besides its commitment to defend the run is its ability to remain balanced and defend big plays (sound familiar?). The short safety dropping down inside the box now plays more of a role as a linebacker, being able to defend the outside edge and force the RB to cutback at the same time he can drop back into coverage. Likewise, the Cover 3 also sends more players down to defend the pass than with its cousin Cover 2, and with three defensive backs rotating around the deep third of the field teams are hard pressed to make big passing plays down the field.

Sponsor

Sponsor

zorinos123
Veteran

Re: Who/What Would the "QB Contain" Book Be Good For?

Postby zorinos123 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:36 am

What I can tell from the name or using it is that it is used for scrambling qbs who like to run when no wideout is open. As you can tell from either the MLB or OLB having the black arrow facing down, meaning dont rush unless the qb travels outside the pocket. so if you are going against Rg3 or Russell Wilson its a great playbook. Virtually pointless whilst going against Palmer or Brady tho

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:12 pm

moonbax wrote:Who or what is "QB Contain" supposed to be designed for?

In Madden, the QB Contain defensive playbook originated the year *after* Michael Vick came onto the scene. Madden 05 maybe? The year before was filled with QB rollout cheese play by 99% of all human players, and there was no defensive playbook solution. Friendships ended over the use of the Falcons and Vick.

The QB Contain playbook is purely an Arcade-style playbook to thwart dual threat QBs, while masking the Madden development team's complete failure at properly coding AI. It's all based on PLYT. All of it. Most of the gameplay mechanics are tied to it. Coverage, pass rushing, run stopping, pass blocking, run blocking, on-snap passing icons, camera views, offense and defense player awareness (player assignment vs chase ball)... Messing with PLYT opened my eyes to the development reality of Madden video games; the basic AI and coding of the current gen (through Madden 16 on PS4) games even date back to the Super Nintendo/Playstation era. Attempting to reverse engineer the tag's functions almost permanently ruined Madden for me. It's a Pandora's Box. Avoid messing with the PLYT tags like they are the plague.

moonbax wrote:Could this be useful for an NFL defensive system?

IRL? No. Too difficult for teams to consistently use any base defense that involves both 3-4 and 4-3 personnel and/or schemes. The differences between 3-4 and 4-3 techniques are vast.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:25 pm

trey31 wrote:
moonbax wrote:Who or what is "QB Contain" supposed to be designed for?

In Madden, the QB Contain defensive playbook originated the year *after* Michael Vick came onto the scene. Madden 05 maybe? The year before was filled with QB rollout cheese play by 99% of all human players, and there was no defensive playbook solution. Friendships ended over the use of the Falcons and Vick.

The QB Contain playbook is purely an Arcade-style playbook to thwart dual threat QBs, while masking the Madden development team's complete failure at properly coding AI. It's all based on PLYT. All of it. Most of the gameplay mechanics are tied to it. Coverage, pass rushing, run stopping, pass blocking, run blocking, on-snap passing icons, camera views, offense and defense player awareness (player assignment vs chase ball)... Messing with PLYT opened my eyes to the development reality of Madden video games; the basic AI and coding of the current gen (through Madden 16 on PS4) games even date back to the Super Nintendo/Playstation era. Attempting to reverse engineer the tag's functions almost permanently ruined Madden for me. It's a Pandora's Box. Avoid messing with the PLYT tags like they are the plague.

moonbax wrote:Could this be useful for an NFL defensive system?

IRL? No. Too difficult for teams to consistently use any base defense that involves both 3-4 and 4-3 personnel and/or schemes. The differences between 3-4 and 4-3 techniques are vast.

Definitely appreciate this perspective on multiple-front schemes in the NFL. I wrote more relating to this on the "Cover 2" book and think you might be interested in seeing what the similarities of that book to QB Contain are, and why that book is probably not entirely suitable for NFL either. The 4-3 techniques used in this book are similar to what is used in Cover 2 as well. However, I find that if a Madden defense uses a 3-4 base but is "multiple" from the standpoint of their subpackage use, particularly with 4-2-5 nickel, that is more like what certain "multiple-front" NFL systems are more likely to be running currently.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:46 pm

moonbax wrote:Definitely appreciate this perspective on multiple-front schemes in the NFL. I wrote more relating to this on the "Cover 2" book and think you might be interested in seeing what the similarities of that book to QB Contain are, and why that book is probably not entirely suitable for NFL either. The 4-3 techniques used in this book are similar to what is used in Cover 2 as well. However, I find that if a Madden defense uses a 3-4 base but is "multiple" from the standpoint of their subpackage use, particularly with 4-2-5 nickel, that is more like what certain "multiple-front" NFL systems are more likely to be running currently.

The Tampa Two version of Cover 2 has always been broken on Madden. The dev team has never understood that there is a difference between the Tampa Two, a Cover 2, and a Cover 3 shell. And Madden has always misunderstood the concept of a zone; hence flats, curls, hooks, and deep quarters.

I built a 2-5 playbook based on a cross between the 4-3 Miami alignment (Jimmy Johnson 4-3) and the 3-4 Fire Zone concept (Dick LeBeau 3-4). It's fun but Madden's roster requirements make using 2-5 personnel in a franchise difficult.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Return to “Plays and playbooks”