Has anyone ever made a screen play the AI can run effectively?

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:56 pm

The AI seems to be terrible at screens and just can't seem to handle the timing. Has anyone ever managed to make a screen play they can run effectively? What was the trick?

Sponsor

Sponsor

solarkev
Veteran

Re: Has anyone ever made a screen play the AI can run effectively?

Postby solarkev » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:13 pm

IMHO, the problem is that the relative speeds of the players are not correct, so that timing is not "real life". The QB drops back too fast, his progression begins too early and the defensive can jump the ball too easily. The actual design of the plays are not too bad, again IMHO, although I wish offensive linemen need better blocking instructions, it seems to me.

I've noticed that if one uses a roster that is balanced to real life speeds and accelerations of players, that the AI screens work much better. Here is an example of such a roster: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2466&p=9825&hilit=solarkev#p9825

This method will not work for non-coach mode players, I guess.

Littleware
Banned

Postby Littleware » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:30 am

I have made a couple of screen plays that work very well. At first they rarely worked because the HB would sprint to his position waiting for the ball too fast drawing defenders near enough to catch him right after he caught the ball. The keys were I added a .5 sec delay to the beginning of the route freezing the LB or DB assigned to check him. Then, the 1st screen play I added .5 yard to one route and the other I added .75 yard to the end of the route (making the HB's run 8 yd and 8.25 yd routes) both distances worked great! Madden default screens to RB's have the backs run a 7.5 yards route parallel to the line, that was too close allowing the defender to close it too fast. Adding more distance to the route worked great!

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:51 am

Increasing RB Ability (51+) will probably allow receivers to turn while catching, which is required for screens to work as intended in this game. I've had this issue as well. With some lower rated players I still see it.

Littleware
Banned

Postby Littleware » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:59 pm

moonbax wrote:Increasing RB Ability (51+) will probably allow receivers to turn while catching, which is required for screens to work as intended in this game. I've had this issue as well. With some lower rated players I still see it.

My RB Ability is 49. The CPU's is 53. I'm sure it was the default 7.5 yd distance between the QB and RB that causes all the issues. Even when you create a new screen pass play, the default distance is 7.5 which madden defenders close in on too fast.

pagjame
Pro Bowl

Postby pagjame » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:46 pm

Really old post but what the heck. I’ve called a pinch protection prior to snapping the ball and move the TE to the left side of the formation. That has given me enough time to set up the screen and have some success including long TD runs. It also depends heavily on the defensive play call of course.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:32 pm

also you need to roll the QB away from the screen side( only if RB screen is the call)
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:20 am

BUS36 wrote:also you need to roll the QB away from the screen side( only if RB screen is the call)

I agree, I almost never call screen plays....I found that running with the qb away from the screen side as you mentioned is the only way to draw the defenders into blocks and actually get positive yardage lol......

you guys must be pros at running these screen plays as I read some of you guys can get a td or loss of yards via tackle and that it really is a hit or miss play.....I just quit on it completely lol....as far too often its for a loss....

I have found using a player with great strength and breaktackle like a FB is useful to sub in as a RB(jumbo package) as they can mow down defenders.....using the playmaker/hit stick and break tackles....on RB screens...

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:41 am

ultimatum77 wrote:
BUS36 wrote:also you need to roll the QB away from the screen side( only if RB screen is the call)

I agree, I almost never call screen plays....I found that running with the qb away from the screen side as you mentioned is the only way to draw the defenders into blocks and actually get positive yardage lol......

you guys must be pros at running these screen plays as I read some of you guys can get a td or loss of yards via tackle and that it really is a hit or miss play.....I just quit on it completely lol....as far too often its for a loss....

I have found using a player with great strength and breaktackle like a FB is useful to sub in as a RB(jumbo package) as they can mow down defenders.....using the playmaker/hit stick and break tackles....on RB screens...

Interestingly enough, I tend to run a fair amount of RB and WR Screen passes. For RB Screens, I run them from the Gun, and drop back as much as possible. When I'm close to getting sacked, I throw it to the RB and he usually has some room to run. For WR Screens, the trick is making sure there is no defenders in man coverage. If there is and you throw it to the WR, it will be picked. If there is someone in a Flat zone, then just wait until blockers take him out of the play then pass it.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:29 pm

if there is man coverage on WR screens ..you have to run the WR toward the offensive line a bit so the linemen pick off the DBs
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Return to “Plays and playbooks”