T-Formation UPDATED:10/24/17

theDude47
Pro Bowl

Postby theDude47 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:36 pm

T-Formation - Normal.jpg
T-Formation - Normal.jpg (42.49 KiB) Viewed 3032 times

I've been working on making playbooks for a classic teams mod that's in progress. Here is a playbook containing run plays for Shaughnassey's and Hala's T-Formation that was developed with Stanford and the Chicago Bears. There's lots of motion and ball fakes across the board. Although the T-Formation is considered to be the first real offensive formation, it wasn't really a game changer until Clark Shaughnassey started manipulating it. I plan on continuing to add more run plays as well as pass plays.

Look for playbooks to come featuring Steve Owen's A-Formation, Double A Formation, Phelan's Spread, Ronzani's Spread, Single Wing, Double Wing, Triple Wing, Short Punt, Sutherland Single Wing, Notre Dame Box, and the variety of single back formations Paul Brown used.

UPDATE 10/24/17:
I withdrew my previous zip file and have attached my T-Form - Normal playbooks without Man-in-Motion. Artwork for run and pass plays appears on page 3 of this thread. Man-in-Motion plays are going to take me a while to refine but I'll update as I go.

UPDATE 11/30/15:
Pass AND Run plays for Double Split, Ends Wide, Normal, Split End, and Unbalanced all posted. All plays should work. (Downloaded 94 times)

UPDATE 10/16/15:
Created playbook that has all the run plays from the previous version plus all flipped versions as well as several new run plays.
Attachments
T-Form-Normal_NoMotionPlays_10-24-17.zip
(81.07 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

Sponsor

Sponsor

theDude47
Pro Bowl

Re: Bears T-Formation

Postby theDude47 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:15 am

Some more formations that are a work in progress...

Double Wing
DoubleWing.png
DoubleWing.png (908.02 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

Notre Dame Box
NotreDameBox.png
NotreDameBox.png (945.12 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

Short Punt
ShortPunt.png
ShortPunt.png (975.99 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

theDude47
Pro Bowl

Postby theDude47 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:17 am

A-Formation
AFormation.png
AFormation.png (968.81 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

Double-A
DoubleA.png
DoubleA.png (954.23 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

Triple Wing Spread
TripleWingSpread.png
TripleWingSpread.png (922.83 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

rahien.din
Pro Bowl

Postby rahien.din » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:09 pm

This thing is incredible. Your handoffs are amazing. I can't wait to dive into the PSAL to see how you did it.

Way to go!

theDude47
Pro Bowl

Postby theDude47 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:29 pm

rahien.din wrote:This thing is incredible. Your handoffs are amazing. I can't wait to dive into the PSAL to see how you did it.

Way to go!

Thanks for the compliment! It took me a while to get the timing and angles just right. The double handoffs were particularly difficult.

I'll probably put out a slightly updated version here in the next day or so with some more run plays. I'll make sure to include the playbooks of the different variations as well (i.e. Split End, Ends Wide, Unbalanced Line, and Double Split Line). I plan doing a flipped version of every play as well.

Pass plays are in the works as well. Trying my best to convert some of the same patterns/plays the game already uses along with actual plays the 1940 and 1941 Bears used. Look for some fun play action passes!

rahien.din
Pro Bowl

Postby rahien.din » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:17 am

theDude47 wrote:I plan doing a flipped version of every play as well.

You shouldn't need to have a separate play for a flipped version. Packfan's editor can allow you to edit flipped positions and assignments.

theDude47
Pro Bowl

Postby theDude47 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:34 pm

rahien.din wrote:
theDude47 wrote:I plan doing a flipped version of every play as well.

You shouldn't need to have a separate play for a flipped version. Packfan's editor can allow you to edit flipped positions and assignments.

I definitely know that you can set assignments to be flipped, but I'm trying to make sure these playbooks make the CPU call what I want them to call. If it's a handoff that goes to the Right Halfback, I want it to go to the Right Halfback even when the CPU decides to flip the play. If I do a designed flip of the play in the editor where the handoff now goes to the Left Halfback, then I want it to always go to the Left Halfback.

Is there a way to flip all the routes while keeping the formation setup the same way? Does it involve checking the flip play box?

rahien.din
Pro Bowl

Postby rahien.din » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:27 pm

theDude47 wrote:Is there a way to flip all the routes while keeping the formation setup the same way? Does it involve checking the flip play box?
Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to make a duplicate play but with the routes going the other direction?

theDude47
Pro Bowl

Postby theDude47 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:00 pm

rahien.din wrote:
theDude47 wrote:Is there a way to flip all the routes while keeping the formation setup the same way? Does it involve checking the flip play box?
Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to make a duplicate play but with the routes going the other direction?

Correct. I could technically set it up where the Left Halback is moved to the Right Halfback position and keep the same route, but that would screw up the players being on the correct side and if the CPU flipped the play it would go to the other halfback and it wouldn't be predictable. I don't believe there is a way to tell the CPU when to flip a play in the game. By flipping the route in the editor, I take away that unpredictability. If the play is designed to go to the Left Halfback, it goes to the Left Halfback regardless if the CPU decides to flip the play. The only problem being that when the play is flipped, the Left Halfback is on the right side but at least it's still going to the correct player.

Does this make sense? This is really only a problem for the T-Formation which relies on players being on certain sides of a balanced formation.

rahien.din
Pro Bowl

Postby rahien.din » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:54 am

theDude47 wrote:Correct... This is really only a problem for the T-Formation which relies on players being on certain sides of a balanced formation.
Ah, I understand now. Are the roles for the tight ends that narrowly defined as well? If not, it might make sense to have them swap roles rather than swapping spots - may make your plays flip more quickly.

I don't think that flipping routes like you want to do is a feature in Packfan's editor. You just have to do the math, which sucks. I made an Excel file that would do it for me, cause I'm lazy like that.

By the way, my Ywing playbook has its first two new run plays in a long time thanks to you. (I borrowed your handoffs and modified them slightly!)

Return to “Plays and playbooks”