Stock Bears defensive playbook; PBAI analyzed

solarkev
Pro Bowl

Re: Stock Bears defensive playbook; PBAI analyzed

Postby solarkev » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:44 pm

Using a similar method to my post about offense PBAI (https://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10359), I followed up Ben75's work reported in this thread. Ben75 used one play per tag, while I used many plays per tag (my test playbook is attached).

I found great similarity with Ben's work, but with just a bit more detail, namely:
(1) for PBAI tag #5, the definition of goalline can be confidently defined as less than or equal to 5 yards.
(2) tag # 6 was only used in my test games when the defensive team was behind near the end of the game
(3) in addition to Ben75's description tag # 10 was also used on 2nd down up to 20 yds and 2nd down in a goalline situation
(4) tag # 11 was used against 3W formations in addition to 4W & 5W formations as mentioned by Ben75
(5) tag # 22 was also used against a 3TE formation

With these small improvements, I confirmed the same observations the Ben75 made. I also looked at the PBAI tags from many stock playbooks in addition to recording the Madden suggestions.

I intend to do one more test cycle, by making observations with coaches having very high and very low aggression ratings using a playbook with a variet of play types in each PBAI tag. Should take a few days.
Attachments
Rams 2023 Test.pbd
(166.01 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Sponsor

Sponsor

solarkev
Pro Bowl

Postby solarkev » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:47 am

As I indicated in my last post, I performed further tests with the Rams 2023 test playbook by using the "Ask Madden" feature to gather PBAI playcall information. I used three sets: (1) Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Conservative/Aggressive ratings set to 50/50, (2) set to 10/90, and (3) set to 90/10. I observed no important differences in playcalling! This seems to indicate the the conservative/aggressive coach ratings are not used by the AI in selecting plays. I saw no differences in the PBAI called or in the play types (I was careful to include many play types in each tag). So, I'm forced to conclude (as I did for the offense playbooks) that once the PBAI tag is chosen, the computer randomly chooses a play within that tag. As Ben75 notes, I have confirmed that the PBAI selection is based on down/distance and offense formation (except on first down and third & long, tags 2 and 24). I did expand Ben75's observations and I've included my findings as highlights in the attached MS Word document.

In support of the conclusion for the AI not using play type, I found something of interest in this thread https://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15116&hilit=PBAI. Drizzt made many defensive playbooks back in the day using Ben75's research. He made playbooks with adjusted AI tags. I've used many of these playbooks and they work well with Madden's AI. HOWEVER, when viewing these playbooks in Packfan's editor I found that the play types for nearly all plays are incorrect. In fact, they are designated with offense play types, amazingly. Despite this, Madden seems to use these playbooks just fine. This is another piece of evidence that suggests that play selection by Madden 08 does not involve the play type indication.

Those of you who make defensive playbooks to be used by Madden 08 may want to use my attached file to figure out what plays to include in each tag.
Attachments
M08 Defensive PBAI.docx
(18.1 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Return to “Plays and playbooks”