Help with First Playbook

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Re: Help with First Playbook

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:20 am

One suggestion I would make is whenever you are designing passing concepts or plays. Always use harsh cuts/angles (acute angles from math). They create easy catches and allow players to separate from defenders when they make their cut. Also, I find sideline out and post routes have to be designed with enough space for the player and qb timing to be accurate. I've designed plays in the past that took too long to develop/for wr's to make their cut and they were quite impractical to use until I shortened the route/made better angles in the route. In-N-Out routes are fun to design but again take a lot of time to develop so you better have a great O line or a mobile Qb otherwise it won't work. If you like to throw with a mobile out of the pocket qb like I do, designing these types of plays is really fun. However if you are a pocket passer then you need to spend more time on the timings/route concepts to make sure they can get the ball out quick enough.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Sponsor

Sponsor

MikeWest502
All-Pro

Postby MikeWest502 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:08 am

ultimatum77 wrote:One suggestion I would make is whenever you are designing passing concepts or plays. Always use harsh cuts/angles (acute angles from math). They create easy catches and allow players to separate from defenders when they make their cut. Also, I find sideline out and post routes have to be designed with enough space for the player and qb timing to be accurate. I've designed plays in the past that took too long to develop/for wr's to make their cut and they were quite impractical to use until I shortened the route/made better angles in the route. In-N-Out routes are fun to design but again take a lot of time to develop so you better have a great O line or a mobile Qb otherwise it won't work. If you like to throw with a mobile out of the pocket qb like I do, designing these types of plays is really fun. However if you are a pocket passer then you need to spend more time on the timings/route concepts to make sure they can get the ball out quick enough.

Another way to address the route timing besides adjusting wr routes is the make qb drop back a yard or so more. Madden qb drop backs max to 3.5 yards, keeping the qb in the pocket. Too close imo. And when I viewed qb dropbacks, they drop in steps 3-5-7. Sometimes 10-12 yds behind the LOS, depending on the play. Brady, Brees and Rogers are regularly 8-12 yds deep in the pocket! I've counted the steps in the deepest default drop back, its a 3-step drop, more for short and quick pass plays.

The rest: from under center.
3Step - short pass plays QB 4yds deep, too many sacks and deflected los passes. Good for Slants, Quick Outs.
5step - med pass plays QB 6-8 yds deep, better depth, more time for intermediate routes, less sacks and deflects.
7step - long pass plays QB 9-10 yds deep, great depth, deep route development, fewer sacks, no deflects at los. but vulnerable versus speedy DE's and outside blitzes! Best with Max protection used with play-action!

When I play, I normally count my dropback steps!

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:24 am

MikeWest502 wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:One suggestion I would make is whenever you are designing passing concepts or plays. Always use harsh cuts/angles (acute angles from math). They create easy catches and allow players to separate from defenders when they make their cut. Also, I find sideline out and post routes have to be designed with enough space for the player and qb timing to be accurate. I've designed plays in the past that took too long to develop/for wr's to make their cut and they were quite impractical to use until I shortened the route/made better angles in the route. In-N-Out routes are fun to design but again take a lot of time to develop so you better have a great O line or a mobile Qb otherwise it won't work. If you like to throw with a mobile out of the pocket qb like I do, designing these types of plays is really fun. However if you are a pocket passer then you need to spend more time on the timings/route concepts to make sure they can get the ball out quick enough.

Another way to address the route timing besides adjusting wr routes is the make qb drop back a yard or so more. Madden qb drop backs max to 3.5 yards, keeping the qb in the pocket. Too close imo. And when I viewed qb dropbacks, they drop in steps 3-5-7. Sometimes 10-12 yds behind the LOS, depending on the play. Brady, Brees and Rogers are regularly 8-12 yds deep in the pocket! I've counted the steps in the deepest default drop back, its a 3-step drop, more for short and quick pass plays.

The rest: from under center.
3Step - short pass plays QB 4yds deep, too many sacks and deflected los passes. Good for Slants, Quick Outs.
5step - med pass plays QB 6-8 yds deep, better depth, more time for intermediate routes, less sacks and deflects.
7step - long pass plays QB 9-10 yds deep, great depth, deep route development, fewer sacks, no deflects at los. but vulnerable versus speedy DE's and outside blitzes! Best with Max protection used with play-action!

When I play, I normally count my dropback steps!

Thanks! This is why I love this forum, you always gain another perspective from other users to enhance your gameplay by learning something new and help create a new wrinkle in the offensive/defensive schemes that you use.

TBH I haven't designed a playbook in years, as I just dont have the time with my job and other responsibilities. I just am going off of memory when I designed the routes on both console and PC madden 08.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

MikeWest502
All-Pro

Postby MikeWest502 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:34 pm

There's also the speed of the WR's that could greatly make plays work more effective. Since I been doing the 2020's, I started with copying and importing routes. After a few books in, I started to do the majority of every route from scratch. And I found that route speed makes the plays flow better when the CPU runs them. When I run them, it's easy because my timing is based on hitting the primary WR at the top of his route, but at the same time viewing the other WR's for "openness"! First open gets the ball! But speed on a Deep Cross, I have the WR do 100% speed vertical to put pressure on the DB, then when he's on top of him, it's time to make the cut break his speed to mid-low 90% crossing the zones, allows throwing windows longer timing. If it's man coverage the DB is normally shading over/under/in/out! And even though I reduced my speed, the db reduced his to stay with me! That means I would have him on my hip on either side. Then It's my read, if db shading in/under, look to other wr, if db shading over/out, wr has leverage for the crossing route, toss him the pumpkin!

And the angles/cuts you mentioned makes a huge difference also. If you want a quick cut, use 22,45 degree cuts. Deep cuts, I use the 67 or 90 degree cuts!

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:37 pm

Something I recommend is also setting up sub packages, so you don't have to manually swap players in the sub screen. Here are the ones I include when I make a PB.

Code: Select all

Formation Subs:
Spell HB: All Formations with HB in backfield. (HB2 for HB1)
Swap WR: All formations with 2+ WRs. (WR1 for WR2)
Swap TE: All formations with 2+ TEs. (TE1 for TE2)
6 OL: All undercenter formations with 2+ TEs (RT2 for TE1, TE1 for TE2)
WR1 Slot: All formations with 3+ WRs (WR1 for WR3)
Twin HB: All formations with FB or TE in backfield (HB2 for FB).
OL Lead: All formations with 2+ TEs and FB (RG2 for FB).
7X OL: All formations with 2+ TEs and FB (RT2 for TE1, TE1 for TE2, RG2 for FB).
Power Back: All formations with a HB (FB3, must be set to THE Power HB, for HB1).
11 Personnel: All formations with 12 Personnel (WR3 for FB), 21 Personnel (WR3 for TE2), 10 Personnel (HB for WR4), 01 Personnel (TE for WR4) or 00 Personnel (TE for WR4 and HB for WR5)
12 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (FB for WR3) or 21 Personnel (FB for TE2).
21 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (TE2 for WR3) or 12 Personnel (TE2 for FB).
22 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (FB for WR3, TE2 for WR2), only for Gun sets that are not Split Backfield.
10 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (WR4 for HB), only Gun sets.
01 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (WR4 for TE1), only Empty, Spread Gun or Split Backfield sets.
00 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (WR4 for TE1, WR5 for HB), only Spread or Empty Gun sets.

7X OL is all kinds of fun in short yardage situations.
Semper fi
Spoiler:
We've yet to see a QB being as dominant as that future HOFer
And no, not those two. The one I'm talking about already retired ...
We've yet to see a WR being as dominant as that guy that won't make the HOF.
CJ ...

MikeWest502
All-Pro

Postby MikeWest502 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:34 am

jose21crisis wrote:Something I recommend is also setting up sub packages, so you don't have to manually swap players in the sub screen. Here are the ones I include when I make a PB.

Formation Subs:
7X OL: All formations with 2+ TEs and FB (RT2 for TE1, TE1 for TE2, RG2 for FB).
Power Back: All formations with a HB (FB3, must be set to THE Power HB, for HB1).
11 Personnel: All formations with 12 Personnel (WR3 for FB), 21 Personnel (WR3 for TE2), 10 Personnel (HB for WR4), 01 Personnel (TE for WR4) or 00 Personnel (TE for WR4 and HB for WR5)
12 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (FB for WR3) or 21 Personnel (FB for TE2).
21 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (TE2 for WR3) or 12 Personnel (TE2 for FB).
22 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (FB for WR3, TE2 for WR2), only for Gun sets that are not Split Backfield.
01 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (WR4 for TE1), only Empty, Spread Gun or Split Backfield sets.
00 Personnel: All formations with 11 Personnel (WR4 for TE1, WR5 for HB), only Spread or Empty Gun sets.

Would it be safe to import the package cvs into the playbook via dbeditor? If so, could you send me the one you posted, I could breeze through import updates n minutes!

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:39 am

MikeWest502 wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:Something I recommend is also setting up sub packages, so you don't have to manually swap players in the sub screen. Here are the ones I include when I make a PB.

Formation Subs:

Would it be safe to import the package cvs into the playbook via dbeditor? If so, could you send me the one you posted, I could breeze through import updates n minutes!

Not sure how safe it would be. It'd have to take a look and extract the csv.
Semper fi
Spoiler:
We've yet to see a QB being as dominant as that future HOFer
And no, not those two. The one I'm talking about already retired ...
We've yet to see a WR being as dominant as that guy that won't make the HOF.
CJ ...

MikeWest502
All-Pro

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:15 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:

Formation Subs:

Not sure how safe it would be. It'd have to take a look and extract the csv.

Could you test the theory on one of the 2020 books I uploaded? They don't have packages set. So if you could import the cvs into one of them and do a quick in-game check to verify would be great!

Return to “Plays and playbooks”