94%
No?
6%

Total votes: 17

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Do we need a Texmod subforum?

Postby elguapo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Should we create a new Texmod subforum for all Texmod related materials?

Texmod users would now have their own subforum to have their own Texmod mods shine in full glory without the confusion of it being a DAT based mod.

Anything that is based on using Texmod would be included in this subforum. Anything small like a simple TPF to change a banner or full mods that uses DAT files as placeholders​ for TPF files would be listed under this subforum.

Do we need a Texmod subforum?

Sponsor

Sponsor

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Re: Do we need a Texmod subforum?

Postby JSamuel » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:05 pm

I'm for it.

I don't think we would need a separate forum for .dat based graphics mods, however.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Tue May 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Thank you all for your votes.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:45 am

I would have voted no.

I can see it now. I post a tpf file intended for testing something that is being worked into dat (or attempted to be worked into dat), and get the reply "you posted in the wrong place" comment.

On the flip side the comments "is this a dat mod?", "when is this going to be in a dat?", "why isn't this a dat?", etc might be less prevalent. However, realistically, they'll probably be asked in both sections. Especially "why isn't this a dat?"
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed May 24, 2017 12:01 am

I would have voted yes.

When I came to this site Texmod was very popular. DAT modding became more popular that it has basically become the norm here. What you here alot when someone posts a mod is "is this dat or texmod?"

Having a Texmod thread or texmod sub forum would hilite those mods that are intended for Texmod. I was also thinking of creating a Texmod definition file where we could list all the memory addresses of all known images. This definition file could be very useful for Texmod modders.

In the case where you would want to post a tpf file for testing a small disclaimer would be sufficient to explain what the file you are posting is for.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:04 am

elguapo wrote:I was also thinking of creating a Texmod definition file where we could list all the memory addresses of all known images. This definition file could be very useful for Texmod modders.

I could definitely get behind a thread like that.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:38 am

Definition? I don't think footballidiot needs a dictionary knowing how "idiotic" we are...

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed May 24, 2017 12:33 pm

What do you mean we? ;)

Anyway so the easiest way of creating a definition database in my opinion is to do it the way we are mapping the dat files. We could just add another column with the memory address of that image on that spot.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:51 pm

elguapo wrote:What do you mean we? ;)

Anyway so the easiest way of creating a definition database in my opinion is to do it the way we are mapping the dat files. We could just add another column with the memory address of that image on that spot.

I mean we as in "this community ".

And I was joking; I know what you're saying about the .def files for Texmod. I get tired of having to find the texture I'm looking and end up either skipping it, or the game crashing before I find it.

Return to “Site discussion”