I got banned

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

I got banned

Postby Austinmario13 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:04 pm

I was using a VPN on my phone to get on the server and I got this:
IMG_0174.PNG

I switched VPN apps and now I'm fine. Could someone explain to me what happened?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I got banned

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: I got banned

Postby RevanFan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:15 pm

First off, you shouldn't be accessing this site via a VPN anyway. That's against the rules.

Second, I didn't ban you, and we had no discussion of banning you. Maybe have been some sort of error. When you're not using a VPN, do you have a static IP? If so, PM it to me and I'll see if it's on the ban list. Also, it's possible a spam account could have had the same VPN IP that you tried to use, and that's why you got the error.
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:39 pm

RevanFan wrote:First off, you shouldn't be accessing this site via a VPN anyway. That's against the rules.

Second, I didn't ban you, and we had no discussion of banning you. Maybe have been some sort of error. When you're not using a VPN, do you have a static IP? If so, PM it to me and I'll see if it's on the ban list. Also, it's possible a spam account could have had the same VPN IP that you tried to use, and that's why you got the error.

I got rid of the VPN app and used another one so it's not a problem. I didn't know VPN was against th rules and why is it in th first place? I'm just thinking a spam account might have been using the same IP.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:53 pm

VPNs and proxies are mentioned in the forum rules thread here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18223

VPNs, like proxies, are generally used to try to get around IP bans. Spam bots use it a lot, but there have also been specific people in the past that were banned from the website, but then used a VPN or proxy to register a new account. It's very rare to find a legitimate reason for using a proxy or VPN instead of a standard connection, so it's simpler to just outright disallow it. Like you said, the one you used was likely banned for being the source of a spam account.

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Postby ycleped » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:40 pm

RevanFan wrote:First off, you shouldn't be accessing this site via a VPN anyway. That's against the rules.

NickyJ wrote:VPNs and proxies are mentioned in the forum rules thread here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18223

I'd like to point out that nowhere in the rules does it forbid the use of accessing the site via a VPN. It forbids the creation of accounts via a proxy or VPN, not the accessing of the site on one. As far as I know, it would be incorrect to reprimand him for accessing the site via a VPN as it is not actually against the rules. In fact, using a VPN is extremely helpful in instances of preventing yourself from being tracked online by sites and/or other internet users - anyone with your IP address can find out a lot about you. I've even used one in the past, but uninstalled the program because it was causing issues with my connection.

So yes, you are allowed to use a VPN to access the site until the rules change to forbid such usage.

Most likely as the others have said, you got cycled through to a VPN that someone/thing had already been banned while using.
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:34 am

I have a rule discussion point about VPNs. I will PM the rest of the mod team about it.
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:21 am

Austinmario13 wrote:I was using a VPN on my phone to get on the server and I got this:IMG_0174.PNG
I switched VPN apps and now I'm fine. Could someone explain to me what happened?

Austinmario you cloner you! Just kidding lol.... That message post though dang that's some tough stuff right there lol...idk about the vpn thing but I can see why b/c there have been some weirdos stealing work from here and reposting/spamming here...
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Col. Trautman
All-Pro

Postby Col. Trautman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Austin isn't still banned is he? He's a great contributor to this site....

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Col. Trautman wrote:Austin isn't still banned is he? He's a great contributor to this site....

He never was banned. He used a VPN to access the site that had been used to create a clone account, and that VPN's IP was banned.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:41 am

RevanFan wrote:
Col. Trautman wrote:Austin isn't still banned is he? He's a great contributor to this site....

He never was banned. He used a VPN to access the site that had been used to create a clone account, and that VPN's IP was banned.

You should probably lock this thread so people won't get confused.

Return to “Site discussion”