FI's Wikia is currently down

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:47 pm

If anyone has tried to access the Wikia page in the past few days, you will have noticed a message that says it's closed. We have no idea why it was closed but it wasn't anything on our end.

Currently, there's an option to download all of the site's data or all of the data + all of the history. Since it seems to be in html format, we might be able to restart the wiki with all of the relevant data. The question is: should we?

Arguably, the most important part of the wiki was the list of files for download. Would people like to see that list reinstated on the wiki or would they prefer to have it posted on this forum? If it's the latter, would you prefer to have it posted in a place where all people registered and unregistered can access it or should it be for members only?

Interested in your thoughts.

Sponsor

Sponsor

mee
Hall of Fame

Re: FI's Wikia is currently down

Postby mee » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Keep the wiki up. What if this site goes down? I know we have the freeforum site, but no need to lose all the files as well...
So the Giants traded Beckham....

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:51 pm

mee wrote:Keep the wiki up. What if this site goes down? I know we have the freeforum site, but no need to lose all the files as well...

Yes, I agree. We should get the wiki back up and running.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:06 pm

The content and the way it's organized make the wiki a great go-to.

If it's not too much of a pain in the ass to get it up again, my vote is to keep it

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:22 pm

It's worth clarifying: Wikia shut down our wiki. We didn't shut it down ourselves. Revan is trying to contact them so that we might be able to know why they did it.

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Postby ycleped » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:11 pm

BelieverInTeal wrote:It's worth clarifying: Wikia shut down our wiki. We didn't shut it down ourselves. Revan is trying to contact them so that we might be able to know why they did it.

Two words:

Sly dways
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:36 am

Ycleped wrote:
BelieverInTeal wrote:It's worth clarifying: Wikia shut down our wiki. We didn't shut it down ourselves. Revan is trying to contact them so that we might be able to know why they did it.

Two words:

Sly dways

It wasn't him. I believe it was because there's wasn't enough activity or regular editing on the Wiki in a long period of time. I will look into contacting someone from Wikia about it, if I can. They don't really give you much contact info, though.

I had a thought. We should recreate the overall file list, as well as some of the pages on editing, on this forum if at all possible. Then from there, try to get the Wiki back. BIT, you said the info appears to be in HTML format. Do you think you could convert the info so it can be added as a series of posts to the correct forums on this site?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

minotauri
All-Pro

Postby minotauri » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:23 am

I'd like to see the Wikia or an equivalent wiki back as well. I use it quite a bit actually. I was considering contributing some information on things to the wiki, I've figured out over the past 6-9 months on console modding of the Madden/NCAA series too.
I also go by Antdroid on other forums and places.

https://www.ncaanext.com - NCAA 06 NEXT Mod
https://discord.ncaanext.com - NCAA & Madden NEXT PS2 Discord

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:24 am

With weird things happening like this corporate attack against fan-based creativity,

I would not be surprised if EA was the instigator of the take-down activity.
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:57 am

RevanFan wrote:
Ycleped wrote:

Two words:

Sly dways

It wasn't him. I believe it was because there's wasn't enough activity or regular editing on the Wiki in a long period of time. I will look into contacting someone from Wikia about it, if I can. They don't really give you much contact info, though.

I had a thought. We should recreate the overall file list, as well as some of the pages on editing, on this forum if at all possible. Then from there, try to get the Wiki back. BIT, you said the info appears to be in HTML format. Do you think you could convert the info so it can be added as a series of posts to the correct forums on this site?

I like RevanFan's idea....with all of the files from the wiki transferred here -- maybey alongside lichtental's Useful Links thread? -- it'd be easy for members to locate files and the moderators could keep a better eye on things.

Maybe setting it up over on the backup site is worth thinking about,too...

Return to “Site discussion”