JDHalfrack's Fantasy Draft Utility

Jonmchugh
Rookie

Re: JDHalfrack's Fantasy Draft Utility

Postby Jonmchugh » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:02 pm

Hey guys I've done several drafts with this awesome tool. What are some strategies you guys use when it comes to drafting. Which players do you try and focus on first or does it depend on what kind of team do you want to build. Do you focus on offense or defense first? Do you grab your offensive skill players early or do you build up your offensive and defensive lines first.

like some input on how everyone drafts and where they start certain positions and are there any guys that you have to have on your team?

Sponsor

Sponsor

JDHalfrack
All-Pro

Postby JDHalfrack » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Jonmchugh wrote:Hey guys I've done several drafts with this awesome tool. What are some strategies you guys use when it comes to drafting. Which players do you try and focus on first or does it depend on what kind of team do you want to build. Do you focus on offense or defense first? Do you grab your offensive skill players early or do you build up your offensive and defensive lines first.

like some input on how everyone drafts and where they start certain positions and are there any guys that you have to have on your team?

I go HARD on offense first only because the computer AI tends to control subpar defense a lot better than humans control subpar offenses.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Jonmchugh wrote:Hey guys I've done several drafts with this awesome tool. What are some strategies you guys use when it comes to drafting. Which players do you try and focus on first or does it depend on what kind of team do you want to build. Do you focus on offense or defense first? Do you grab your offensive skill players early or do you build up your offensive and defensive lines first.

I've only run one human controlled non-testing draft thus far, but in it, I tried to build off of my playing tendencies. I started by getting a quarterback, then a wide receiver, and then a defensive end and two outside linebackers for pass rush. After that I got a corner and safety, and then two more wide receivers. After that, I worked a little on offensive line and tight end. I didn't focus much on running back because I don't run very often, and I went heavy on linebackers because I play a 3-4 and blitz a large amount of the time.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

JDHalfrack
All-Pro

Postby JDHalfrack » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:30 am

Man alive.... I am STUPID. The problem with the uniform code is this: Case 1 Or 2 It should have been Case 1 To 2

I actually made the same mistake in another part of the utility earlier, but caught it. Not sure why I didn't catch this sooner...
Not worth another release right this second, but I have now officially solved the jersey number issue... :roll:

JD

leftwing
Pro Bowl

Postby leftwing » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:57 pm

I think with the jersey numbers issue fixed, your utility covers every part of a great fantasy draft. Thanks for the huge amount of work you put in this project in a brief timeframe, this is awesome! :D

I think you could release the to date version with jersey numbers fixed as 2.2 right now, and then focus on finding a way to save the draft progress, which would be a nice goal for a 3.0 release. ;)

I'm not a coding expert by any means, but I have decent basic knowledge. Saving the draft progress in a certain type of file (not .fra) shouldn't be too complex, or am I missing something?

JDHalfrack
All-Pro

Postby JDHalfrack » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:32 pm

leftwing wrote:I think with the jersey numbers issue fixed, your utility covers every part of a great fantasy draft. Thanks for the huge amount of work you put in this project in a brief timeframe, this is awesome! :D

Thanks! :) It's been fun getting back into coding!

leftwing wrote:I think you could release the to date version with jersey numbers fixed as 2.2 right now, and then focus on finding a way to save the draft progress, which would be a nice goal for a 3.0 release. ;)

Yeah, I might do that. I can't until tomorrow, but I will at some point.

leftwing wrote:I'm not a coding expert by any means, but I have decent basic knowledge. Saving the draft progress in a certain type of file (not .fra) shouldn't be too complex, or am I missing something?

You're right, it's not SUPER hard to code a save/load progress function, just time consuming. But, that will be something I work on here this week or so.

JD

JDHalfrack
All-Pro

Postby JDHalfrack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:47 am

Version 2.2 has been released in the original post

Version 2.2 (11/19/13):
- Fixed the Halfback/Fullback jersey number issue
- Changed the progress bar label to display the file name when opened
- Added "Offense" and "Defense" to the "sort by" combo box
- Changed default number of draft rounds to 53
- The drafted players list now auto-scrolls long with the current pick
(can be disabled)

To Do List:

Keep the bug reports and suggestions coming!

JD

leftwing
Pro Bowl

Postby leftwing » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:50 am

@JD

You have a pm regarding the freezing issue!

JDHalfrack
All-Pro

Postby JDHalfrack » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:03 am

leftwing wrote:You have a pm regarding the freezing issue!

That is very interesting, leftwing... I'm glad you seem to have isolated the issue. I will look into it as soon as possible! Thanks for the PM.

JD

EDIT: I have duplicated the issue, and I am working to correct the problem. Great find; sorry I couldn't find it earlier!

JDHalfrack
All-Pro

Postby JDHalfrack » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:58 am

Version 2.3 released. Big thanks to leftwing for helping me track down this latest error!

Version 2.3 (11/21/13):
- fixed issue with draft freezing after a certain round
(depending on "1st" requirements)
- fixed issue with draft boards not displaying properly

Keep up the good work guys!

JD

Return to “Utilities”