alphapal numbers (Madden 08)

CLMCC
Pro Bowl

Postby CLMCC » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 pm

When I was trying to make my own uniforms , I came across this utility from Unreal Engine called "alphapal.exe". It produces 8bit indexed bmp files with an active alpha channel and a common palette. Thinking that it might help me with uniform numbers , I downloaded it and started to experiment.

The two most difficult aspects of numbers for me , is the amount of inputs and the common palette required. I combined this "alphapal.exe" with a custom uniform dat and came up with what I believe is a faster and simpler way of doing numbers. It only requires 10 numbers and 12 insertions. I could be wrong , but it worked for me so I thought I would pass it along.

You will need the following:

"alphapa.exe" https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Two/U ... 20Textures
(scroll up to "Eight-bit Palettized with Alpha" and click on "AlphaPal.zip. Free for noncommercial use.)

"tga2bmp.cmd" [NOTE: This original .cmd was found to be defective , it has been replaced with a new one. Get the new one here ] "tga2bmp.cmd" http://www.mediafire.com/file/3k41pmi19 ... p.zip/file

MUER 1.52 in the "Files" section as "Madden Uniform Editor and Ripper 1.52 stingray68"

The "Single File Uniform Template" here http://www.mediafire.com/file/g1981myrwjfy8ny/file

all65.uni.jpg
all65.uni.jpg (92.14 KiB) Viewed 193 times

Here are steps:

Create numbers

1.Make your 10 numbers as .psd in Ps CS2
2.Add a masked alpha channel
3.Save as 32bit tga with "alpha" checked

Conversion

1.Load all your .tga numbers into one folder
2.Add alphapal.exe and tga2bmp.cmd to that folder
3.Click on the tga2bmp8.cmd and all the files will convert to indexed bmp with alpha and a common palette

Insertion (always use uni file copies)

1.Open your new uniform dat in MUER 1.52 (Options , first color transparent)
2.Place both palette and bitmap into Num0-palette 7.bmp (Torso), 8 (shoulder) , and 9 (Helmet)
3. For numbers 1-9 place bitmat only into the palette 7's , 1-9

inserts.jpg
inserts.jpg (95.83 KiB) Viewed 193 times

Do not go back and check the new numbers before you are all done and saved , it will corrupt the file ,
save and reload the uni again to check. If you get any warnings close the file and look at your numbers for any errors there. If you ignore any warning the file will be corrupt.

If anyone tries this , let me know how it went. If you see any mistakes I have made let me know. If you need help on how to make numbers , ask and I will do my best.
All my posts , work , and files are for the community to use freely

Sponsor

Sponsor

CLMCC
Pro Bowl

Re: alphapal numbers (Madden 08)

Postby CLMCC » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:19 am

For those who want to try this but do not have Photoshop CS2 , MUER v 1.52 allows inserts from "other" paint programs

v1.52 should now allow MUER to read bmp files from gimp and paint, and likely other graphics editors besides just photoshop.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=13&p=78489

Please let me know if that works for you , thanks

CLMCC
Pro Bowl

Postby CLMCC » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:49 pm

I's no longer needed to do this:

Convert your uni file to a more friendly numbers file

1.Load your uniform file into DEX.
2.Make a 64x128 DDS number , no mipmaps
3.Insert that dds file into bitmap 7-pallette 0,1 and 2
4.The rest just palette 0's , 8-palette 0 thru 16-pallett-0
5.Save , and load into MUER 1.52

This will convert your uni file with numbers all 64x128 sizes , no extra mipmaps

Just download the "single file uniform template" from this post

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=22333

CLMCC
Pro Bowl

Postby CLMCC » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:49 pm

Just a reminder , when using Muer 1.52 , as well as all the MUER titles except MUER 1.3 , you must have a FULL PALLETTE with your bitmap or the file will be corrupt upon saving. (alphapal converted .bmp files always have a full palette)

BigSteel33
Rookie

Postby BigSteel33 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:10 pm

Do you have a way of providing a tutorial, how-to, with the creation of number files that can be used in the new template. For example, I am fine with creating DDS files but I'm not seeming to have any luck with bmp files into MUER and that working. I also just tried creating a uni with the new template in DDS but I'm getting unhandled exception error when I go to load the '1' after I load the '0' into the 3 slots.

CLMCC
Pro Bowl

Postby CLMCC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:36 pm

BigSteel33 wrote:Do you have a way of providing a tutorial, how-to, with the creation of number files that can be used in the new template. For example, I am fine with creating DDS files but I'm not seeming to have any luck with bmp files into MUER and that working. I also just tried creating a uni with the new template in DDS but I'm getting unhandled exception error when I go to load the '1' after I load the '0' into the 3 slots.

The new template (single file uniform template) is designed for .bmp and MUER only and will not work properly in .dds and DEX

I will be demonstrating as close as possible , how the numbers may have been made by EA in the default uniforms. First we will look at them to see how they are configured. Taking the one color numbers (white on same white background and blue on same blue background.) My guess is , they used "same on same color" to get the best color blending when applied. The multicolored numbers are for another time. When they are extracted they look like this in PsCS2

whonwh.png
whonwh.png (25.12 KiB) Viewed 79 times

When you go to "Image" , "Mode" , "Color Table" , select the color picker and click the first color , the blue number is revealed from the same blue color background

number revealed.png
number revealed.png (43.02 KiB) Viewed 79 times

Taking this same blue zero as an example of a new number , here is how to make the indexed .bmp numbers with an active alpha channel

1. Put the number onto a "new file" with a transparent background (this will be a 32bit.psd)
2. Using the "magic wand" , click on the number. Then go to the bottom of the "Channels" section and click on the small square with the inner circle. That adds the alpha channel. The white area of the alpha channel is visible , the black is transparent

alpha.png
alpha.png (28.29 KiB) Viewed 79 times

[continued in next post]

CLMCC
Pro Bowl

Postby CLMCC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:44 pm

3 Save as .tga with alpha channell checked and 32bit

targa-alpha.png
targa-alpha.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 78 times

After you create all 10 numbers , convert and insert

Conversion

1.Load all your .tga numbers into one folder
2.Add alphapal.exe and tga2bmp8.cmd to that folder
3.Click on the tga2bmp8.cmd and all the files will convert to indexed bmp with alpha and a common palette

Insertion (always use uni file copies)

1. Open your new uniform dat in MUER 1.52 (Options first color transparent)
2. Place both palette and bitmap into Num0-palette 7.bmp (Torso), 8 (shoulder) , and 9 (Helmet)
3. For numbers 1-9 place bitmat only into the palette 7's , 1-9

inserts.jpg
inserts.jpg (95.83 KiB) Viewed 78 times

Do not go back and check the new numbers before you are all done and saved , it will corrupt the file ,
save and reload the uni again to check. If you get any warnings close the file and look at your numbers for any errors there. If you ignore any warning the file will be corrupt.

Do not save these new indexed .bmp files with alpha in Ps CS2 , they will lose their alpha channel.

This is how that zero looks in the game

zero.png
zero.png (116.27 KiB) Viewed 71 times

BigSteel33
Rookie

Postby BigSteel33 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Awesome stuff. Thank you for posting this. Now I have a fighting chance. :)

CLMCC
Pro Bowl

Postby CLMCC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:02 pm

You're welcome sir. Please get the new .cmd , the original was defective

[NOTE: This original .cmd was found to be defective , it has been replaced with a new one. Get the new one here ] "tga2bmp.cmd" http://www.mediafire.com/file/3k41pmi19 ... p.zip/file

CLMCC
Pro Bowl

Postby CLMCC » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:24 am

My guess is , they used "same on same color" to get the best color blending when applied. The multicolored numbers are for another time.

With the alphapal bmp with active alpha channel , there is no need to have "same on same color" for color blending. Whether it's blending with the number color or with the jersey color. Just like dds , the bmp with alpha creates the proper blending against any background.

Now for the multicolored numbers. This number is blue , orange and white (outside in)

The process is the same , except that when adding the alpha channel , you use the "magic wand" to click the outside all around the number first

outside.png
outside.png (20.99 KiB) Viewed 36 times

Then "shift + click" to include the inner outer border

inner-outer.png
inner-outer.png (21.35 KiB) Viewed 36 times

Once you have all the outside of the number lined , go to "Select , inverse" to select just the number alone.

It is this image you will make an alpha channel from

alpha.png
alpha.png (23.25 KiB) Viewed 36 times

Then save as 32bit tga as before and convert with alphapa.exel and tga2bmp.cmd along with all numbers at once in the same folder.

Return to “Utilities”