Punter

Raston
MVP

Punter

Postby Raston » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:31 pm

Anyone else seeing punters come in on certain plays to play WR or QB? So far those are the only two positions I've seen them do. There should be no reason for either to happen.

Punter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Re: Punter

Postby Rixster67r » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:07 am

This is caused by the depth chart..... When there are no options at a position for whatever reason the punter comes in.....

BTW..... Long time no see :D ;)

Raston
MVP

Postby Raston » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:21 pm

It has been awhile. :) I hadn't played Madden 08 is some time and decided to do a Franchise. I don't think it's that because the team had enough WR's with no injuries. I later played a few Exhibition games to check and it occurs there too. I installed the latest Madden 08 mod in case I had an older version but it didn't matter. Needless to say this is unrealistic so I won't be doing a Franchise. :cry: Not sure if this matters but I play coach mode.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:28 pm

Raston wrote:It has been awhile. :) I hadn't played Madden 08 is some time and decided to do a Franchise. I don't think it's that because the team had enough WR's with no injuries. I later played a few Exhibition games to check and it occurs there too. I installed the latest Madden 08 mod in case I had an older version but it didn't matter. Needless to say this is unrealistic so I won't be doing a Franchise. :cry: Not sure if this matters but I play coach mode.

In the beginning, Madden did have punters as the third QB in the sub rotation. The 08 sub table has been modified to include RB's and WR's to sub in for QB's like the real NFL. So the faulty subs happen as a game progresses, all the players of a sub group are all too tired to return into the game. You're going to see TE's at SS and DE. WR's will be CB's. DE as punter, a total nightmare. Try lowering Sub/IN. Try not running so many 4-5 WR plays. Run down play clock to give players a breather between plays.

Also, when it happens, pause game, go to that formation sub and reset the formation. Setting up sub packages for 2nd and 3rd team players also helps. Finally, call a time out. Good luck.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:54 pm

There is a file here somewhere that subs in better positions instead, bc I had the same question.

Allows you to play CB at WR and HB at QB etc. Nothing too weird, but at least not a punter at WR.

Lemme see if I can locate it.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22452

Page 1, 5th post

Careful. I found a high catch CB to be useful and HB at QB is alright too, if you are careful with fumbles.
WR at CB however can become a problem bc they dont cover or tackle well.
No signature needed.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:03 am

Raston wrote:Anyone else seeing punters come in on certain plays to play WR or QB? So far those are the only two positions I've seen them do. There should be no reason for either to happen.

If the Sub Out/In sliders are too high, that'll happen. I've seen that happen a bit. Not just punters, DEs playing CB or Safety, CBs pinch playing as WR, even OL on the wrong side. Everyone is too tired to comeback.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

DOLPHINSKINGS1
All-Pro

Postby DOLPHINSKINGS1 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:38 pm

Your Sub In / Sub Out is too high. That's why you are getting weird line formations. Always set them in a franchise file to 53% IN - 62% OUT. This will give players a breather and return to the line up in their original spot. Also adjust your SUBS on OFFENSE and DEFENSE and SPECIAL TEAMS too. You will never see a punter,hb,cb,qb,de,te, etc. playing out of position.
Miami Dolphins: Back-to-Back Super Bowl Champions '72-'73/ Undefeated Season Super Bowl VII & Super Bowl VIII
Los Angeles Kings: 2 Time Stanley Cup Champions 2012 & 2014

GO DOLPHINS!!!
GO KINGS GO!!!

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:37 pm

DOLPHINSKINGS1 wrote:Your Sub In / Sub Out is too high. That's why you are getting weird line formations. Always set them in a franchise file to 53% IN - 62% OUT. This will give players a breather and return to the line up in their original spot. Also adjust your SUBS on OFFENSE and DEFENSE and SPECIAL TEAMS too. You will never see a punter,hb,cb,qb,de,te, etc. playing out of position.

The big downside of that is that you are playing players while they are extremely tired. 53%... they would be hardly running by then.

I take the other extreme and sub OUT at 85 and IN at 95.
This way, when someone starts to lose a step, his backup comes in for 3 plays.
This makes sure that I use more of the roster, too.
Not many drives make it so far that more than a few ayers get below 85 even.
No signature needed.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:30 pm

Theov wrote:
DOLPHINSKINGS1 wrote:Your Sub In / Sub Out is too high. That's why you are getting weird line formations. Always set them in a franchise file to 53% IN - 62% OUT. This will give players a breather and return to the line up in their original spot. Also adjust your SUBS on OFFENSE and DEFENSE and SPECIAL TEAMS too. You will never see a punter,hb,cb,qb,de,te, etc. playing out of position.

The big downside of that is that you are playing players while they are extremely tired. 53%... they would be hardly running by then.

I take the other extreme and sub OUT at 85 and IN at 95.
This way, when someone starts to lose a step, his backup comes in for 3 plays.
This makes sure that I use more of the roster, too.
Not many drives make it so far that more than a few ayers get below 85 even.

I have my sub out set at 74 and In is 89. If out is set too high, My starters are not able to get into game flow, break a sweat and get lathered up. My numbers allow 2nd and 3rd team players to get reps and build OVR as the season progresses. Using the formation subs allow you to really micro-manage getting players on the field while resting other players without having to do much extra.

Return to “Rosters”