Realistic Free Agency salaries?

KhalilSack52
Rookie

Postby KhalilSack52 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:37 pm

In Madden 08, free agents are ridiculously cheap. Any idea if there's some kind of feature in any of the editors to universally edit free agency signings to make them more realistically expensive? I was thinking of something exactly like the feature in NZA's editor that reconstructs rookie contracts after the draft.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kriegsmarine
All-Pro

Re: Realistic Free Agency salaries?

Postby Kriegsmarine » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Funny you should ask. Jose21crisis and I actually worked on a calculator for realistic contracts a while back. You can find Jose's latest version here. My latest one is a bit lighter, but the premise is the same. I'll attach it as well.

EDIT: The way it works is super simple. You just enter the player's OVR rating in the OVR box and then look up their multiplier in the OVR Table. The Role Modifier depends on the role a player has, but all roles give a 1.2 modifier unless they have a Star, in which case they get a 1.4 modifier. For example, in my current franchise, RB Dion Lewis has an OVR of 88 and he has the Feature Back role. This means he has an OVR multiplier of 1.2 and a role modifier of 1.4. A four year contract would mean he gets a contract worth $24 404 699, and as he has been in the league for 4-8 years, his signing bonus/guaranteed money is $4 880 940.
Attachments
Madden 08 Contract Calculator UPDATED.xlsx
(18.88 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Brock
All-Pro

Postby Brock » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:51 pm

What are you guys methods for using the calculator? Top 10 players per position, just the star players, or just for your own signings?

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Brock wrote:What are you guys methods for using the calculator? Top 10 players per position, just the star players, or just for your own signings?

I only use the calculator for my own team. The AI is stupid unless you do some very specific things (You would need to take control of every team in the 1st Free Agency Period and prevent them from signing anyone. Otherwise, they'll sign twice the people they need at a position, which is why you see teams with 8 DTs or 6 RTs or 3 Ks), so they need all of that cap room for the stupidities they do.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Kriegsmarine
All-Pro

Postby Kriegsmarine » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:55 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
Brock wrote:What are you guys methods for using the calculator? Top 10 players per position, just the star players, or just for your own signings?

I only use the calculator for my own team. The AI is stupid unless you do some very specific things (You would need to take control of every team in the 1st Free Agency Period and prevent them from signing anyone. Otherwise, they'll sign twice the people they need at a position, which is why you see teams with 8 DTs or 6 RTs or 3 Ks), so they need all of that cap room for the stupidities they do.

I've mainly used it for my own team as well, but for my current franchise I helped the CPU with roster management and signings (and did the entire draft manually... that was a pain), and I used it there as well. I did let them do free agency on their own, but I adjusted some salaries (most notably FA quarterbacks). I'll attach two excel documents I used in case you want to take a closer look. The first document is the entire off-season whereas the second one consists of mid-season FA signings. For the mid-season signings, I've given the teams a discounted rate, so a two year contract might only have a contract length of 1.5 years, while a three year contract has 2.25.
Attachments
Off-season.xlsx
(50.74 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
FA.xlsx
(13.23 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:23 pm

Kriegsmarine wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:

I've mainly used it for my own team as well, but for my current franchise I helped the CPU with roster management and signings (and did the entire draft manually... that was a pain), and I used it there as well. I did let them do free agency on their own, but I adjusted some salaries (most notably FA quarterbacks). I'll attach two excel documents I used in case you want to take a closer look. The first document is the entire off-season whereas the second one consists of mid-season FA signings. For the mid-season signings, I've given the teams a discounted rate, so a two year contract might only have a contract length of 1.5 years, while a three year contract has 2.25.

I think what I'll do in my next off season is let the CPU rumble, bumble and stumble through the 1st Free Agency Period, do the MaddenAMP draft, then take control of every team on the 2nd Free Agency period and help them by filling up their positions of need instead of filling up already good positions. In my actual franchise, the Pats are chock full of Defensive Tackles. I had to switch the best Pass Rushing DTs to D.Ends because they had a grand total of 3 D.Ends. They also have a mostly all rookie secondary. Those rookies are pretty good though. They also got Gronk a backup, but decided to not give Tom a successor just yet. And they got Roquan Smith (Damn it New England, I wanted the guy) as backup for Dont'a.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

Brock
All-Pro

Postby Brock » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 pm

Yeah, I was using it for all teams during the season when they needed extra players due to injuries and even for a few star players. I gave Jimmy G amvig contract and along with Carr. They ended up as free agents the next year lol. So I decided against it. Even tho, I actually did do Carr's contract again, idk why. Hopefully they keep him this time.

I'll probably just use it for my team. I'm still confused why the game doesn't make use of the salary cap. Has anyone set the in game year to 2018 or 19, not using Cal's scripts but actually changing the one if the tables that changes the year, and see if the AI actually gives big contracts?

When I played around with hex editing for NBA 2K8, I was able to trick the game into thinking it was years a head with team budgets etc. and was able to get somewhat realistic contracts. Wonder why that can't be done in Madden.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Brock wrote:Yeah, I was using it for all teams during the season when they needed extra players due to injuries and even for a few star players. I gave Jimmy G amvig contract and along with Carr. They ended up as free agents the next year lol. So I decided against it. Even tho, I actually did do Carr's contract again, idk why. Hopefully they keep him this time.

I'll probably just use it for my team. I'm still confused why the game doesn't make use of the salary cap. Has anyone set the in game year to 2018 or 19, not using Cal's scripts but actually changing the one if the tables that changes the year, and see if the AI actually gives big contracts?

When I played around with hex editing for NBA 2K8, I was able to trick the game into thinking it was years a head with team budgets etc. and was able to get somewhat realistic contracts. Wonder why that can't be done in Madden.

No idea. I could try that, but I don't know where in the franchise file the year is stored. If we knew, some editing with the Madden DB Editor could do it.
Semper fi

Brock
All-Pro

Postby Brock » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:04 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
Brock wrote:Yeah, I was using it for all teams during the season when they needed extra players due to injuries and even for a few star players. I gave Jimmy G amvig contract and along with Carr. They ended up as free agents the next year lol. So I decided against it. Even tho, I actually did do Carr's contract again, idk why. Hopefully they keep him this time.

No idea. I could try that, but I don't know where in the franchise file the year is stored. If we knew, some editing with the Madden DB Editor could do it.

It's the SEAI tab, the column is SEYR (0 is the first year, and so on). I believe RogerJinx's franchise file has it set, but I never actually used it as I wanted to start my own.

Return to “Rosters”