Can someone please provide some help with editing the AST file to add custom portraits

Modifying Madden 19
Seeman22
Rookie

Can someone please provide some help with editing the AST file to add custom portraits

Postby Seeman22 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:40 pm

can someone please tell me if anyone has been able to add custom portraits to Madden 19 for PC yet.

if so what tool is being used to edit the AST file.

I have frosty editor running: I can see the portrait files, portraits and madden 15 portraits.
I know how to export the AST file to my drive to make it accessible to an editor program.
I also have the player table as a CSV file to enable me to see the portrait numbers and there related player name.

I just need to know how to edit the AST file.

please help.

Charles

Sponsor

Sponsor

Seeman22
Rookie

Would it be possible to create a mod that just runs the command line function for portraits

Postby Seeman22 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:49 pm

I am wondering if anybody would be willing to create a mod that runs the command exe files in the custom portrait import process. We can then do the search, find and create function of this process by hand and then the mod will again be able to run the command line t repack the file

StingRay68
MVP

Re: Can someone please provide some help with editing the AST file to add custom portraits

Postby StingRay68 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Posts merged since the OP seemed to have more of an idea of how to do this.

The executable you are referring to is offzip ? If so, no, that is not a good idea to try and create something to automate the insertion of custom files into the portraits.
It is my understanding that you would need to keep the file size the same as (or less than) the original file size you are wanting to replace.
Also, have read when people have done this through offzip it slows down the reading of the file in game.

I had a look at the portraits.ast file for a bit, all I can say is, wait...

Seeman22
Rookie

Re: Can someone please provide some help with editing the AST file to add custom portraits

Postby Seeman22 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Thank you for providing a response Stingray.

madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

Postby madden07eurocat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:24 am

Seeman22 wrote:Thank you for providing a response Stingray.

Just wanted to add that offzip is VERY finicky. Sometimes, even though your file size is well below the original (sometimes half as big), when you repack the ast file it reads the file as too big and won't repack it. Trying to create a network mod now and having fits because offzip is terrible to work with.
Don't sweat the petty things, and yet don't pet the sweaty things! ;)

syni
Rookie

Postby syni » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:07 pm

This has been my experience with it trying to add custom portraits..
Exporting with offzip is fine. All the files are .dds and re-editing them in photoshop produces the same output size.
I recompile the files back to the .ast and load up Madden. The custom portraits do not show up but the originals do and now they display a lot slower.
Editing Portrait ID on AMP to match the player portraits do not help as well.

I had the idea of making a program to edit the portraits based on player names but the filenames that are extracted seems random and I don't have the time to look up thousands of matching players. It'd be helpful if the .ast files were somehow extracted to correlate to the Portrait IDs shown in AMP but seems farfetched.

StingRay68
MVP

Postby StingRay68 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:12 am

syni wrote:All the files are .dds and re-editing them in photoshop produces the same output size.
I recompile the files back to the .ast and load up Madden. The custom portraits do not show up but the originals do and now they display a lot slower.

As long as you are saving your custom portraits as DDS dxt5, the sizes should remain constant if you are using the same dimensions.
Offzip is fine for exporting as it is just finding any zlib compressed files, decompressing and saving based on their offset in the file.
The ast file is basically a database that has info on where the file is, what the compressed size is and what the uncompressed size is.
When you are importing with offzip, it just replaces the file data with your compressed custom file that is the same length or smaller.
The database info for anything imported is not being changed.
If the original file is 10 bytes compressed and 20 bytes uncompressed, when you make something custom and try to import, your compressed file might be 8 bytes and uncompressed 20 bytes. When it goes to decompress the file in game, it is still reading 10 bytes and trying to decompress. It may still work but there is likely error handling going on during the decompression and that may slow it down to some extent.

I've noticed even if you use frosty to import the exact same portrait dat that you extract, it still experiences a pause in game when it goes to display the portrait. It may have to do with the size of the portraits.ast file which is 300+ meg

syni wrote:Editing Portrait ID on AMP to match the player portraits do not help as well.
I had the idea of making a program to edit the portraits based on player names but the filenames that are extracted seems random and I don't have the time to look up thousands of matching players. It'd be helpful if the .ast files were somehow extracted to correlate to the Portrait IDs shown in AMP but seems farfetched.

Not sure what you mean about editing the portrait id not helping.
Exporting the file from the portraits.ast can be done with a recent tool and they do match the player id # you see in madden amp.
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=21383

madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

Postby madden07eurocat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:38 pm

StingRay68 wrote:As long as you are saving your custom portraits as DDS dxt5, the sizes should remain constant if you are using the same dimensions.
Offzip is fine for exporting as it is just finding any zlib compressed files, decompressing and saving based on their offset in the file.
The ast file is basically a database that has info on where the file is, what the compressed size is and what the uncompressed size is.
When you are importing with offzip, it just replaces the file data with your compressed custom file that is the same length or smaller.
The database info for anything imported is not being changed.
If the original file is 10 bytes compressed and 20 bytes uncompressed, when you make something custom and try to import, your compressed file might be 8 bytes and uncompressed 20 bytes. When it goes to decompress the file in game, it is still reading 10 bytes and trying to decompress. It may still work but there is likely error handling going on during the decompression and that may slow it down to some extent.

Hmmm....I'll have to do some testing with this since I've been using DXT1 to save my images for the network logos. You must be doing this in paint.net because that is not a save option in photoshop, At least not that I can see.

StingRay68
MVP

Postby StingRay68 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:09 pm

No, I'm still using the Adobe Photoshop cs2 that we've been using for years.
Nvidia has a newer dds plugin for photoshop than what we used years ago.
Nvidia Texture Tools : https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-tex ... -photoshop

Not sure if it matters, but every dds file I have seen so far in the ast files is dxt5 format and was created with Nvidia Texture Tools.

madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

Postby madden07eurocat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:03 pm

StingRay68 wrote:No, I'm still using the Adobe Photoshop cs2 that we've been using for years.
Nvidia has a newer dds plugin for photoshop than what we used years ago.
Nvidia Texture Tools : https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-tex ... -photoshop

Not sure if it matters, but every dds file I have seen so far in the ast files is dxt5 format and was created with Nvidia Texture Tools.

I know this may be a silly question but I have photoshop cs6 extended. From what I understand it was supposed to be a suped up version of cs6. I downloaded the Nvidia texture tools for photoshop and it is not showing up in the save options nor will the cs6 version that I have open a dds file. Do you know if this plugin will work with cs6 extended? I tried going on the nvidia forum but all the topics are concerning GeForce and that isn't what I'm after. I can't post either. I only assume that there is a time constraint or something.

Return to “Modding”