Is This Type of Playing Experience Possible?

Biological
Rookie

Postby Biological » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:35 am

Hello everyone!
First post, but I'll try to get straight to the point.
As I believe in getting it right the first time (no sense in dragging this out and wasting your guys' time with excessive back-and-forths), I'd like to lay out the user case so you can very accurately gauge, understand where I'm coming from and exactly what I'm looking for (see: "What I'm Hoping to Achieve").

Feel free to skip this part, but it's some background on me and where I'm coming from:
Spoiler:
It's been many, many years since I played Madden (or just about any game really) - however, I really love football and did well playing it in real life, so perhaps it was natural that Madden was always the one game I liked.
The last one I played was way back in Madden 2005, on the original Xbox - Ray Lewis on the cover! Was also the year the Hit Stick was introduced!

Anyway, I like to overthink things, and make things more difficult than they need to be.
This makes things interesting to me, because otherwise, they're too simple/easy and I quickly lose interest in them.
I love a challenge, and being faced with something new that I need to figure out.

Back in ~2004 I remember making Excel spreadsheets for Madden and coming up with all these ways to break down the game from every angle I was interested in - back then I don't remember there really being "communities" so this was mostly solo work and needing to figure it all out on your own. The internet wasn't even really a resource - the only things on it were incredibly basic things about the game. But I was able to figure out the then-mysterious phenomena that are now funny to see YouTube videos on (and some I've yet to see videos on) - like figuring out the math formulas used to determine each positions OVR (this had an insane amount of utility - ex: highly efficient flipping of players for trades), how to quantify the patterns from the NFL Draft/Scouting into 100% predictable (and thus, retrievable) results, calculating the exact numbers to employ in coaching sliders to maximize favorable statistical outcomes in games (ex: if I wanted my RB to ball out - what exact numbers and coaching philosophy combinations would verifiably yield him the best statistical games). Nowadays you can find tools, or information that can actually help lead you to some of these things, but back then it was an independent adventure where you had to actually figure everything out on your own. It's great that nowadays there's so much more information out there - makes the possibilities so much greater!

What I'm Wondering About:
I am interested in playing the game purely Sim. If I play the actual games themselves, I find it will get boring at some point relatively quickly as it simply becomes too easy to beat (despite not cheesing, and playing on highest difficulty settings) - I also have a hard time withholding myself from obsessively demanding so much of myself (detail wise) in each game that though it can still certainly be fun, just also becomes unnecessarily stressful and more importantly, time consuming! Manually playing a single game can take over an hour of my time, and while I may not mind doing that every now and then, I'm all about efficiency, so if I'm not gaining much benefit/learning from playing the game than I could be doing something else (ex: Simming) then I get bored (and a bit frustrated as I retrospect), relatively quickly. I'd like to Sim because I then have to figure out how to optimize everything to still make it (the team) successful and work, which is exciting to me. So then, say, in a given hour I will have had to resolve and work through so many more things than I would've simply manually playing the game (where for example, breaking down the defense, coverages, etc can become very easy and will have been basically all I had to do).

What I'd like to avoid:
Building some unrealistic juggernaut of a team that would never actually exist in real life (ex: the current real-life Rams team somehow staying as talented as they are for more than the next ~2-3 years).
I think what I'd ultimately liken it to is I'd like to run a team like the Patriots, where they never really have many superstars, but their COACHING and preparation is so outstanding that they are able to take ~average/above-average players and make the whole team GREAT (and obviously highly successful) because of how they so efficiently utilize each player to their strengths, within their given roles (Bill Belichick has a quote I always liked: "Know your personnel!" - very true in anything! Management, etc).
How likely is the above (re: Patriots philosophy) possible in Madden? Or is Madden still set up to where the AI figures if you don't have superstars then you aren't doing sh*t (and will largely ensure this)? I ask because I envision a team that's mostly not going to be 90+ OVR players, with the exception of very few positions (ie. forces the realistic Cap Philosophy: "what positions are worth investing disproportionately in, to me? Because the rest, I need to spread out across a 53 man roster") - it's hopefully going to mostly be a constant building and re-building process where I need to always be developing talent, remaining competitive, and ever on the look out for the next talent (just as it is in the real world), because in a sport with an actual salary cap, you need to be creative and constantly working.

What I'm Hoping to Achieve:
A Sim that is not easy and is also very realistic.
Some things that constitute realistic to me I guess could be:
- Realistic performance statistics (ex: QB's not throwing for 6,000 yds),
- Injuries are very impactful (as they are in real life) and occur at a realistic frequency,
- Importance of depth chart ("next man up!"). The 1st String should be the obvious starters but your 2nd Stringers do certainly need to be at least capable to fill in during injuries to tie you over; ex: you lose your starting LT so you need to have a well-prepared backup plan, a lineman who's obviously most likely not absolute starter material but has solid enough stats to fill in. This actually ties in together with the next one ==>
- Importance of player development. On a real team, even the backups all get coached up - so it's important that the whole team develops, so that you can have "next man up" be effective.
- Realistic player development
- Cap Management! Forcing me to really consider Cap Philosophy - ie. what positions are most valuable to me and worth expending extra $$$ on (ex: "Free Safety, MLB, and QB are three that I feel I absolutely need to ensure very high level talent at, so when those are up for contract negotiations, I'll be a lot more willing to listen to their demands, even though I need to spread the $$$ out across 53 players")
- Team/Organization Financials (ex: needing to actually fill seats, and sell merchandise/etc to fund Signing Bonuses, etc). This puts more pressure on me to have to handle more things to make the whole thing work, as I can't just get away with "cheesing" player contracts (ex: "all signing bonus, because that's not my problem!").

That's all I can think of for now.
What mods, slider sets, house rules, or settings and things of that nature do you guys think would maximize the odds of the above being replicable?
I sincerely and truly do appreciate any and all of your replies on this!
I've long held out on returning to Madden because I wasn't sure how doable this is, but with it finally returning to PC, I've thought to buy it and see about giving it a go since with it being on PC I assume a lot more is possible now.

Thank you all!
- Biological

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: Is This Type of Playing Experience Possible?

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:19 pm

My experience comes from Madden 2008, which I'm guessing will be totally different to Madden 19.

When it comes to Roster Management, some of my House Rules are this:
First, my high OVR players (Say, 85+ or 90+) HAVE to hit Free Agency for me to re-sign them. Then I need to outbid whoever is trying to resign the player. That maintains salaries balanced and forces me to really consider who I want to bring. Additionally, a rule I took from the real life Steelers, I give low Signing Bonuses. 20% is the max I give.
For Trades, I have an Excel spread sheet (Designed for the newer Maddens, but it works for me anyway) that has to confirm the trade is either Balanced or is Biased towards the other team. Otherwise, you can steal a bunch of picks and a kick returner for a corner and pull "Next Man Up" from your next corners.
And for the Roster Building itself, I have another Excel SpreadSheet that calculates M19 like Player Archetype ratings, with that in mind, I pick one possible Scheme on Offense and Defense (From Vertical Offense, West Coast, Establish Run or Ball Control on Offense. Contain Passing, Disrupt Passing, Force the Pass and Shut Down Runs for Defense), and I build my team around that scheme. For example, right now on my Steelers franchise I decided to use a Vertical Offense, which requires me to have a Strong Arm QB (Which I have in Ben Roethlisberger), solid Pass Blocking tackles (Which I have) and Deep Threat Receivers (My number 1, Hines Ward, is actually a Possession WR. So is my TE, Heath Miller. The rest of my team is nothing but fast receivers, and sending them deep and keeping Ward close has been working). For the run game, I run outside runs a lot, which require Agile Linemen and an Elusive Back, both of which my team possess. My plan is developing Roethlisberger until his accuracy improves, then switch my scheme to West Coast, and develop my receivers into effective pass catchers instead of a bunch of Mike Wallaces. On defense I went for a 3-4 Disrupt Passing team. My 3 Down Linemen are solid Run Stoppers (Exactly what a 3-4 requires), my 2 OLBs are good Pass Rushers (Although one of them is going to get very expensive in the offseason, but that's why I drafted another solid rusher to pull off a "Next Man Up"), my 2 starting MLBs are fairly slow, but I have a fast, rookie MLB to take over in the next seasons, and I can draft or trade or sign a LB that's fairly fast. My CBs are good enough in both Man and Zone, my FS is decent enough to warrant a replacement, but my SS is a coverage beast that can play in the box as a slightly undersized LB. The plan is just keep working on the team I have, adding talent in the draft if possible that could fit my scheme.

Also, I ignore OVR other than the first point. I look more at the individual ratings to determine if a guy could fit my scheme (Say, a WR that is very fast and has high Awareness but low Catch rating will have a higher OVR than an equally fast WR with low AWR and high Catch. I would take the fast, high catch guy any day.)
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Brock
All-Pro

Postby Brock » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:05 am

jose21crisis wrote:My experience comes from Madden 2008, which I'm guessing will be totally different to Madden 19.

First, my high OVR players (Say, 85+ or 90+) HAVE to hit Free Agency for me to re-sign them. Then I need to outbid whoever is trying to resign the player. That maintains salaries balanced and forces me to really consider who I want to bring. Additionally, a rule I took from the real life Steelers, I give low Signing Bonuses. 20% is the max I give.
For Trades, I have an Excel spread sheet (Designed for the newer Maddens, but it works for me anyway) that has to confirm the trade is either Balanced or is Biased towards the other team. Otherwise, you can steal a bunch of picks and a kick returner for a corner and pull "Next Man Up" from your next corners.
And for the Roster Building itself, I have another Excel SpreadSheet that calculates M19 like Player Archetype ratings, with that in mind, I pick one possible Scheme on Offense and Defense (From Vertical Offense, West Coast, Establish Run or Ball Control on Offense. Contain Passing, Disrupt Passing, Force the Pass and Shut Down Runs for Defense), and I build my team around that scheme. For example, right now on my Steelers franchise I decided to use a Vertical Offense, which requires me to have a Strong Arm QB (Which I have in Ben Roethlisberger), solid Pass Blocking tackles (Which I have) and Deep Threat Receivers (My number 1, Hines Ward, is actually a Possession WR. So is my TE, Heath Miller. The rest of my team is nothing but fast receivers, and sending them deep and keeping Ward close has been working). For the run game, I run outside runs a lot, which require Agile Linemen and an Elusive Back, both of which my team possess. My plan is developing Roethlisberger until his accuracy improves, then switch my scheme to West Coast, and develop my receivers into effective pass catchers instead of a bunch of Mike Wallaces. On defense I went for a 3-4 Disrupt Passing team. My 3 Down Linemen are solid Run Stoppers (Exactly what a 3-4 requires), my 2 OLBs are good Pass Rushers (Although one of them is going to get very expensive in the offseason, but that's why I drafted another solid rusher to pull off a "Next Man Up"), my 2 starting MLBs are fairly slow, but I have a fast, rookie MLB to take over in the next seasons, and I can draft or trade or sign a LB that's fairly fast. My CBs are good enough in both Man and Zone, my FS is decent enough to warrant a replacement, but my SS is a coverage beast that can play in the box as a slightly undersized LB. The plan is just keep working on the team I have, adding talent in the draft if possible that could fit my scheme.

Also, I ignore OVR other than the first point. I look more at the individual ratings to determine if a guy could fit my scheme (Say, a WR that is very fast and has high Awareness but low Catch rating will have a higher OVR than an equally fast WR with low AWR and high Catch. I would take the fast, high catch guy any day.)

Could you post those spreadsheets?

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Brock wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:My experience comes from Madden 2008, which I'm guessing will be totally different to Madden 19.

Could you post those spreadsheets?

Here. You just export your team's roster using MaddenAMP and paste the entirety of it in the OVR Order sheet (You need to paste it from the B column, so that you can order the players using the PIDs). The spreadsheet should calculate the OVRs per position. The FORMULAS sheet holds how much importance each stat has in the OVR (Throw Power is more important in Strong Arm QB compared to West Coast QB, for instance).
Attachments
Custom OVR Calculations.xlsx
(184.06 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Return to “General Discussion”