Old Madden Gamer's Initial Reaction of Switching to Madden 19 (and 20 Update)

Pdence267
Pro Bowl

Re: Old Madden Gamer's Initial Reaction of Switching to Madden 19

Postby Pdence267 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:11 pm

You would be right about RyanModdy21 if he was the only one finding significant flaws(many legacy) at the core of Madden 19. Long time EA game changers like GutFox, SimFballCritic and Smitty have also voiced serious displeasure with the game. Perhaps the game play is better on PC. However, I have yet to hear anyone claim that to be true.

Sponsor

Sponsor

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:39 am

Just wanted to bump this thread with some of my thoughts on Madden 20.

19, like 05/08/09/12/etc, had some issues. Overall I would rank the 19 experience in the high 80's. The jump from 12 and 08 was enormous, especially the defensive camera.

20 builds on 19, fixes several flaws, adds RPO plays (multiple varieties), adds Jet Sweep touch passes (just like IRL, they count as a pass statistically), and EA's tweaking of the running game is a godsend (I never fully adapted to 19's running which is why I pre-ordered 20). Having a balanced running game and passing game has already made the game so much more fulfilling in my opinion.

Also want to mention the playbook overhauls have been, for the most part, a giant success. The Cardinals playbook feels very much like an Air Raid (adjusted for the NFL) playbook. One of my favorite routes is in a lot more plays and playbooks this year (TE Shake), the Rams book has tons and tons of jet and other motions that it was missing, and of course there are numerous RPOs scattered throughout.

The other major addition is Superstar Playmaker abilities and since I started an overhaul/rebuild franchise, I don't have any Playmakers to play with so I can't really comment on using them myself (yet), however Bobby Wagner plays like a game changing linebacker. So far not really any cheesy, warpy, physics defying moments but he seems to react much quicker than everyone else and always, always seemed to be around the ball in the game I played against the Seahawks; to the point where I started to consciously make an effort to try to run away from him and manually motioned some TEs and FBs around specifically to counter him (didn't work exceptionally well). If you're like me and feel like Madden has never really done a good job distinguishing great players from average players during gameplay (since the SNES days, speed and acceleration have dominated regardless of OVR), this feature alone might be worth the price of admission for Madden 20.

Also you can play the Pro Bowl now, which I don't personally care about (don't get me wrong the feature never should have been removed, but I don't personally play the Pro Bowl so I'm indifferent to it).

If Madden 19 was an 88 OVR, 20 is like a +5 progression in my honest opinion. A significant improvement on something I already thought was pretty great.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Old Madden Gamer's Initial Reaction of Switching to Madden 19 (and 20 Update)

Postby RevanFan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:37 am

My biggest problem with 19 was the awful running game, so it's good to hear they improved that.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: Old Madden Gamer's Initial Reaction of Switching to Madden 19 (and 20 Update)

Postby trey31 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:22 pm

RevanFan wrote:My biggest problem with 19 was the awful running game, so it's good to hear they improved that.

For sure. I drafted a HB with a high first and he's 76 OVR (which is a high OVR for this year's rosters) with 94 SPD and I put up 167 yards on 27 carries in the season opener with default sliders. Feels good. Passing is pretty close to how 19 was, so it finally feels very well balanced.

Also want to note that I made a custom playbook and it was honestly overwhelming; like a kid in a candy store with room for 500 plays. The new touch passes, RPOs, Sean McVay's updated playbook with motion routes, and Kingsbury's Air Raid-based plays makes it much more in-depth building a playbook than last year, at least for me.

The biggest knock on the game I've found so far is TE hot routes now use block then release hot routes instead of being able to send a TE on a drag route. Drag hot routes still work for everyone else, it's just TEs that got gimped.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

MKDAWUSS
Veteran

Postby MKDAWUSS » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:39 pm

How does modding look, assuming it's not too early to tell?

I passed on 19 and am kinda tempted to pick up 20.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:29 pm

MKDAWUSS wrote:How does modding look, assuming it's not too early to tell?

I passed on 19 and am kinda tempted to pick up 20.

GalaxyMan2015 is still working on the Frosty update for 20, but he's already posted screenshots of the new version working with M20. From what I gather from discord, not a lot changed. Madden 19 NCAA mod is working but they haven't figured out how to expand the number of teams. I did a lot of playbook modifications last year but my favorite mod to work on was custom routes for the hot route db.

This year I plan on going nutso with custom RPO and touch pass plays.

Return to “General Discussion”