Old Madden Gamer's Initial Reaction of Switching to Madden 19 (and 20 Update)

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:54 pm

UPDATE: Madden 20 thoughts on page 4.

I haven't played any recent Madden games more than 30 minutes since Madden 12 (skipped most of 13-18), so here are some random thoughts.

• I'm on Rookie and it's nothing close to a blowout in my first full game (PS2/08 PC All-Madden-only player, but the controls are non-native to me so I chose easy while I get used to them but, it's not completely lopsided like I expected)

• Tapping down on the D-Pad cycles through camera angles in real-time, very similar to racing games. This works on both offense and defense.

• Despite watching YouTube videos every year since Madden debuted on PS4, I've never seen the defensive dynamic camera angle before. And as someone who only wanted to play defense as a kid in Pee-wee and HS, I've never been more on the edge of my seat playing Safety than I am right now! I bit on a Slot deep-out route next to the Z who ran a short hitch... and I got toasted by a Y-cross from the TE who was lined up on the opposite side of the field from me. Crossed right into my cover 2 deep zone and I didn't see it. My camera and my input took me away from my deep cover 2 assignment because I was focused on "my side" of the field. This never happened before on the old Madden camera angles, because I was always seeing everything from the static camera angle behind the QB, I saw what the QB saw, not what the FS/SS saw. Had I been paying closer attention I still could have seen it, but I wasn't utilizing my peripheral vision well enough and I missed the Y's route completely, despite him being visible to me near the edge of the screen the whole time. Defensive camera is awesome! It's exciting to play like this, with the dynamic camera following your player and your controller inputs. Completely redefines the way I've been playing Safety on Defense in Madden games for the last 25 years, and I couldn't be more thrilled!

• Despite being led to believe otherwise, I'll get to that in a minute, the player interactions and body movements are far superior to what they were 3-4 years ago. This football video game, looks like a game of football on tv. Someone walking through my living room said, and this is an exact quote, "I thought the Chiefs played last nigh— OH MY GOD, IS THAT A VIDEO GAME?!" Granted, it wasn't a gamer who was startled by the presentation, but it was a jaw-dropping moment for her when she realized those guys walking back to a huddle after the play were, in fact, computer animated models in a video game. Quite pleasing to me, to experience a reaction like that. :lol:

• The controls really jarred me for the first 10 minutes, but after 20 minutes I felt like this is very similar to how I reacted to NBA 2K17 last year. I hadn't played a basketball video game since sometime early in the life of PS3. Controls between 2009 and 2017 changed drastically. At first I hated them, but soon I realized it wasn't that I hated the controls, it was that I hated that I didn't know how to ball out with the new controls. After playing NBA 2K17 and 18, I would never want to go back to NBA Live 07 or whatever it was I played back then. Once you get the feel for what they do, and when to time them, you can become a dangerous point guard with NBA superstar-like ball skills. And it's awesome. I've already experienced some of this in Madden 19, not pressing the speed button and then doing the quick-cut change of direction move from the tutorial/skills drills; broke a defender's ankles and picked up about 8 more yards and a first down on what was a "crap, nothing is open" checkdown play on 3rd down. I was legitimately fist-pumping after that, and this was just a pre-season exhibition game.

• I unsubscribed from Ryan Moody's channel, the YouTuber who covers "sim football" extensively. Tonight I found out that the 200+ videos of his that I have watched for several years now, and repeatedly hit the "like" button for, is mostly a nitpicking drama queen. I don't want to talk smack but the amount of games and instant replays he must be sifting through to find the little glitches and non-sim things that he dissects week in and week out, must be a full-time job. This game is nothing like Madden 07, Madden 09, or Madden 13 on PS3/360; nor is it like Madden 25 or 15 on PS4/XB1. I understand the early games of this next-next-gen had their growing pains but... this game, Madden 19, looks like football, feels like football, and has a presentation that rivals 2K's dominating NBA games. Maybe Ryan is experiencing death by a thousand papercuts, from covering so many negative things about Madden games for so many years, that he is blind to just how far the game has come? Or maybe his channel is ad-supported and being a week in and week out pessimist has turned into a job that pays the bills? Who knows, but I've unsubbed and I won't be going back to his channel. I'm not going to go troll his channel either, but after actually playing 19 for myself, I feel like the majority of "game breaking bugs" I've been watching on his channel have been highly nitpicked and extremely exaggerated. I wish him and his subscribers the best, but after going from Madden 04/05/06 on PS2 and experiencing really great gameplay, to Madden 07 on 360 and Madden 09 on PS3 and experiencing absolutely horrible gameplay, and back to Madden 08 on PC, I think it is a travesty that Madden 17-19 gameplay has been shit on like it has by some people. If you think Madden 19 is going to look and feel and play like Madden 07 did on 360 or like Madden 09 did on PS3, I have some really, really great news... Madden 19 isn't dog shit. For real. I've been a consistent EA-hater ever since they totally screwed up franchise and gameplay on 360/PS3, but as far as I'm concerned, Madden is back in a big way.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Sponsor

Sponsor

donwash
All-Pro

Re: Old Madden Gamer's Initial Reaction of Switching to Madden 19

Postby donwash » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:15 am

Thanks trey31 for your input because I definitely value your opinions.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:34 am

donwash wrote:Thanks trey31 for your input because I definitely value your opinions.

Thank you for the sincere compliment, and no problem! Glad someone was interested in my take. I'm assuming, just a wild guess, that I'm not the only gamer around these parts who genuinely loved the gameplay and franchise in PS2-era/M08-PC games, who was furious at EA after the M07-360 debacle and the 09-PS3 broken promises (they literally said they had "fixed" everything and that the game far surpassed PS2-era... ha! nope.)

I've bounced back and forth between Madden 06 on PS2, Madden 12 on PS3 (the least bad game on PS3/360), and Madden 08 on PC since 2006.12 years I have been pissed about EA's exclusive-rights of NFL games and them putting out some really awful games (07/360, 09, 10, 13, 25, etc.), but after years of bitterness and my public badmouthing of EA, I feel it's time for me to eat crow publicly. Madden 19's gameplay is awesome.

Also, I'm really adapting to the controls well after 4 games of 10-minute quarters with accelerated clock; already graduated to Pro and am thoroughly enjoying myself. Going to play online PVP soon and then do franchise things in the next week or two.

I also spotted one Ryan Moody-esque "glitch" in a replay. It was during a booth review of a touchdown. My receiver made a diving catch at the half yard line on a that looked 100% natural, completely realistic. Looked fantastic in slow-motion. The "glitch" was related to the physics of the defender diving on top of the receiver. Everything looked completely natural about the tackle and interaction, but the physics reaction of my receiver being hit hard caused about 50% of his body that was flat on the ground to clip through the turf and then go back to normal. I watched the instant replay at speed and the entire clipping incident lasted about 6/10 of a second in real-time. I hadn't noticed it while I was playing at normal speed. I chuckled after I saw it; absolutely nothing worth posting a 6-minute video rant about on YouTube, in my humble opinion.

Honestly, I say don't take my word or anyone else's if you're a Madden 08 gamer on the fence. Maybe watch some complete gameplays of Madden 19 on YouTube, that don't have any nitpicking or YouTuber commentary? Decide for yourself if the game, at full-speed, looks broken or amazing. Or maybe try the Origin Premiere thing out and play if for the 10-days or whatever as a trial? I think RevanFan is doing that, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to answer any questions anyone has about how Premiere works.

I think I'll leave this post at this; last week I bought two $13.75 tickets to a movie, one medium popcorn, and with tax paid $36-something to see a 90-minute movie. After 4 games of Madden 19 on my first day, I feel I've already got my money's worth, and then some. I'm itching to get to All-Pro today, time to play!
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Stardog765
Rookie

Postby Stardog765 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:01 pm

I am a long time lurker and player of '08 Madden because of the great modding done here and wanted to post something in response to your post.
I just found out the day before Madden 19 release that it was actually coming back to PC for the first time in forever and I can't tell you how excited I was. I know Madden 19 isnt perfect and never will be but neither were any of the Madden games before it, neither was my Coleco Football handheld when I was a kid or Super Techmobowl but God how many hours did I pour into those games and how much enjoyment did I get from those games?
It was immeasurable. And yes I was a kid then and now I am an old cranky man but the point is we just enjoyed them for what they were. We didn't nitpick every detail, especially the ones your is not even fast enough to pick up in realtime :)

I appreciate your positive comments and thoughts on this new game when the trend now a days is to trash anything and everything. I am just thankful to have a new Madden on PC again, perfect or not if just for a little while it can take me back to those old days.

I watched a stream last night for two full games of a guy who does alot of slider work and tries to get his game running human vs CPU as realistic as he can and I can tell you that watching those two games were two of the most realistic representations of real every Sunday football I have ever seen in any game or sim. He has it nailed on the settings. His name is ArmorAndSword and he posts his slider settings over at OS forums. After watching how he has the game playing in CFM I don't have any use for Ryan Moody's nitpicking any longer. I wish him the best but have no time for that.

Sorry for the long post but I appreciated your post and wanted to reply.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:08 pm

About the Origin Access Premier, is actuality $15 a month, and while you pay, you have full access to every game offered by the program. So it's no trial at all. Full game, all features enabled.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks for the long post, Trey. I'm looking forward from hearing more about Madden 19 and the rest of the folks here. It's sounding like EA actually put in a lot of work for this one, and I think I'll be picking it up in the future.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Stardog765 wrote:I appreciate your positive comments and thoughts on this new game when the trend now a days is to trash anything and everything.

Stardog765 wrote:I watched a stream last night for two full games of a guy who does alot of slider work and tries to get his game running human vs CPU as realistic as he can and I can tell you that watching those two games were two of the most realistic representations of real every Sunday football I have ever seen in any game or sim. He has it nailed on the settings. His name is ArmorAndSword and he posts his slider settings over at OS forums.

Thank you and I'm glad it was useful! I agree that collectively it is easier to pick out negatives and just trash stuff, than it is to analyze something fairly; movies, music, books, tv shows, video games, etc. Moody already has over 50, I stopped counting at 50, new videos about Madden 19. One of the first he both praised and trashed it. 10 days have passed and now all of his videos are back to his regular modus operandi; Madden 19 sucks because "insert slow motion replay of minor graphical/physics error." Honestly it makes me cringe thinking about how I took his videos at face value and upvoted hundreds of them happily.

I tried looking for ArmorAndSword channel/videos on YouTube and I can't seem to find any. Would you care to link to his channel or one of the videos? I'm having a tough time getting past the LOS as a RB, but if I let the CPU get past the line or the first block on a stretch play, then I can run much easier in the open field. For some reason the CPU is much better at getting through the line than I am. Haven't touched the sliders but I've been thinking of fiddling with the run blocking or something here pretty soon if I don't improve my stick skills first. Either way, been having a blast so far!

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:56 pm

RevanFan wrote:About the Origin Access Premier, is actuality $15 a month, and while you pay, you have full access to every game offered by the program. So it's no trial at all. Full game, all features enabled.

Thanks for the update! Is every game on Origin available, or only the new releases?

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Danchat wrote:Thanks for the long post, Trey. I'm looking forward from hearing more about Madden 19 and the rest of the folks here. It's sounding like EA actually put in a lot of work for this one, and I think I'll be picking it up in the future.

No problem! The most accurate, but simple, way I could describe the jump from Madden 08 to Madden 19, is that it's a huge leap forward in many ways, almost like going from Madden 98 on SNES to Madden 2004 on PS2. Familiar, but it's like night and day.

Stardog765
Rookie

Postby Stardog765 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:17 pm

trey31 wrote:I tried looking for ArmorAndSword channel/videos on YouTube and I can't seem to find any. Would you care to link to his channel or one of the videos? I'm having a tough time getting past the LOS as a RB, but if I let the CPU get past the line or the first block on a stretch play, then I can run much easier in the open field. For some reason the CPU is much better at getting through the line than I am. Haven't touched the sliders but I've been thinking of fiddling with the run blocking or something here pretty soon if I don't improve my stick skills first. Either way, been having a blast so far!

Ya I don't think he does the YT thing I think just Twitch. Here is his Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword

I am pretty sure you can watch the two games from last night. Also he has a post where he puts up his slider settings too and is constantly updating them. I believe 1.5 is the current version.

I am not sure if it is ok to post a link to a post on another forum so I am hesitant to post it here. I am new here and wouldn't want to step on any toes or disrespect the rules. If it is ok let me know and I will post a link. It is on the Operation Sports forum in the Madden 19 Slider Settings sub forum.

Return to “General Discussion”