High res textures at far distances permanently

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:09 pm

When comparing Madden 06 and Madden 08 I noticed that 06 didn't scale things like uniforms pieces, face masks, or camera crew people at distances like 08 does. The sideline people and bench players are controlled by the ini file for 06 whereas they're a dat file automatically adjusted in 08.

It's most noticeable to see what I'm talking about at the coin toss, each texture loads and changes the closer the camera gets to the players and the face masks of the LBs when playing the game. Here's a thread on the face mask issue: https://www.footballidiot.com/forum/vie ... 42#p136919, 06 doesn't have this problem and I think that that thread's fix is the same as 06's base game.

Considering all the high resolution textures these mods have now I think EA miscalculated the performance impact of the new photo realistic grass textures in 07 since that's when the changes took place.

The sideline people and camera crews can be fixed by inserting the largest size file into the corresponding slots so the game adjusts to the same texture at every distance in 08, but what about the uniform parts? Can 06's UNIFORM.DAT be converted to work with 08 since it doesn't have that problem?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harry97
All-Pro

Re: High res textures at far distances permanently

Postby Harry97 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:22 pm

TheRareButter wrote:When comparing Madden 06 and Madden 08 I noticed that 06 didn't scale things like uniforms pieces, face masks, or camera crew people at distances like 08 does. The sideline people and bench players are controlled by the ini file for 06 whereas they're a dat file automatically adjusted in 08.

What is the name of this .ini file / dat file in Madden 06/08 and where is it located?

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:57 pm

Harry97 wrote:
TheRareButter wrote:When comparing Madden 06 and Madden 08 I noticed that 06 didn't scale things like uniforms pieces, face masks, or camera crew people at distances like 08 does. The sideline people and bench players are controlled by the ini file for 06 whereas they're a dat file automatically adjusted in 08.

What is the name of this .ini file / dat file in Madden 06/08 and where is it located?

It's the config settings in the Madden documents that has the basic resolution, detail and audio settings.

The sideline people and players are in the PLADATA for 08, locations are listed here: https://www.footballidiot.com/forum/vie ... 84#p136261

I have no clue on the uniform part locations, my guess is that they dont work like the face masks do considering that issue is controlled by the FACMSKL.

Harry97
All-Pro

Postby Harry97 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:33 am

TheRareButter wrote:
Harry97 wrote:

It's the config settings in the Madden documents that has the basic resolution, detail and audio settings.

The sideline people and players are in the PLADATA for 08, locations are listed here: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=22284#p136261

Right, I knew that, and we talked about that before. Those PLADATA files in M08 appear to affect the way the sideline people models are displayed, but what you said about how in M06 that is controlled by the .ini (rather than those PLADATA files) is interesting because maybe that's why when I swapped those 08 PLADATA files with the equivalent 06 PLADATA files it didn't result in the expanded sidelines (# of players on the sidelines) from 06 in 08. I'm still trying to learn how to get the expanded sidelines like the ones from M06 into M08. It's gotta be possible somehow but we don't know how.

And I'm also interested in learning how to get players (both on the sidelines and on the field) to appear as high res even at a far away camera distance. There seems to be a variable amount of "popping" between low res / high res player models across various NCAA / Madden / PS2 / PC / OX games particularly when playing on the demo camera depending on how far zoomed in / zoomed out the camera is which I would like to get a grasp on how to better control, particularly on the various console versions. It might be more clear how to do that on PC than on console, as there would be no .ini's for example on the console versions and the PLADATA files that would control this may be different than M08 PC.

TheRareButter wrote:I have no clue on the uniform part locations, my guess is that they dont work like the face masks do considering that issue is controlled by the FACMSKL.

The high res / low res facemask quality popping at near / far camera distance particularly on the demo camera seems to be directly related to the high res / low res helmet quality popping at near / far camera distances particularly in the NCAA PS2 games. Also the overall player models as well, including the sideline players and the on the field players only with a different threshold of what camera distance the popping occurs and how detailed the low quality version at far camera distance is.

When you say that is controlled by FACMSKL where exactly is the file that controls this found with that header name?

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:33 pm

Hmmm .... isn't this your standard "Level Of Detail" effect on games? To save resources for stuff that's closer, the game just loads a lower res version of the object. Makes the game run smoother at the cost of ... stuff looking OFF at the distance. Some games have the option of forcing the game to load the highest LOD setting for all objects at all times.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:47 pm

jose21crisis wrote:Hmmm .... isn't this your standard "Level Of Detail" effect on games? To save resources for stuff that's closer, the game just loads a lower res version of the object. Makes the game run smoother at the cost of ... stuff looking OFF at the distance. Some games have the option of forcing the game to load the highest LOD setting for all objects at all times.

Yes, but 08 removed the option for user adjustments within its madden.ini file.

datmanmadden59x
Pro Bowl

Postby datmanmadden59x » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:38 pm

Hey guys,
I looked back at Madden 05, you could set the "player detail" from low to highest. When trying this in Madden 08, if you set the player detail to anything from low to highest it appears to be always the same as if it was either a medium or high setting when compared to Madden 05. Madden 08's player detail set permanently to either medium or high and I don't know if there is a way to change this. EA Sports broke Madden 08's ability to set the player detail compared to previous Maddens. I don't know which Madden was the last to have this ability to truly set the player detail. If someone knows, please tell us if it is either Madden 05, 06 or 07. In Madden 05, you could see that players had long hair like dreads, mullets or long hair at any distance. In Madden 08, after 10 yards of distance, the model of the hair just disappears like they have no long hair at all.

If you want high level of player detail, you may have to revert back to a previous version of Madden and build everything off of that. If only someone was good with Cheat Engine then we could build something like Calhoupe's Madden Scripts.

Good luck guys.

Return to “General Discussion”