What's everyones stance on the 2K vs EA debate?

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:17 pm

I'm 23. When I was little I had no clue 2k5 was even a thing because I had Madden 07. (Also had no clue about the NCAA games)

I played 2k5 for the first time last year and I gotta say it's gameplay is much better in my opinion. The LBs don't warp to the ball in a half second when throwing quick curl routes, and the arch on the passes allow a better drop in the bucket.

Madden takes the cake in about every other feature though. John Madden and Al Michaels(GOAT), graphics, PC ports, some people even say the franchise mode is better.

I highly doubt I could ever play 2k5 now that I've been spoiled with the FF/FI mod, but the 2k22 mod has some great additions to it also. Comparing the two wouldn't be fair because 2k5 is a 2004 title while Madden 08 is a 2007 title, while Madden 08 is moddable through HD PC, 2k5 is emulated on PCSX2.

How does everyone feel about the two?
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (172.02 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
slot_-0-_-speed_-100-59.90-_-ntsc-_-limiter_-normal-_-d3d11-_-3840x2688-_-none-_-interlaced-_-2021-08-26-14-44-31_moment5.jpg
slot_-0-_-speed_-100-59.90-_-ntsc-_-limiter_-normal-_-d3d11-_-3840x2688-_-none-_-interlaced-_-2021-08-26-14-44-31_moment5.jpg (151.64 KiB) Viewed 1215 times

Sponsor

Sponsor

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Re: What's everyones stance on the 2K vs EA debate?

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:38 pm

TheRareButter wrote:I'm 23. When I was little I had no clue 2k5 was even a thing because I had Madden 07. (Also had no clue about the NCAA games)

I played 2k5 for the first time last year and I gotta say it's gameplay is much better in my opinion. The LBs don't warp to the ball in a half second when throwing quick curl routes, and the arch on the passes allow a better drop in the bucket.

Madden takes the cake in about every other feature though. John Madden and Al Michaels(GOAT), graphics, PC ports, some people even say the franchise mode is better.

I highly doubt I could ever play 2k5 now that I've been spoiled with the FF/FI mod, but the 2k22 mod has some great additions to it also. Comparing the two wouldn't be fair because 2k5 is a 2004 title while Madden 08 is a 2007 title, while Madden 08 is moddable through HD PC, 2k5 is emulated on PCSX2.

2K 05 blew the doors of Madden. If you had a system that ran the PS2 emulator, 2k 05 can be ran in 4k. Inside out 2k 05 was a better quality product than Madden 04-07.

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:58 am

MikeWest502 wrote:
TheRareButter wrote:I'm 23. When I was little I had no clue 2k5 was even a thing because I had Madden 07. (Also had no clue about the NCAA games)

2K 05 blew the doors of Madden. If you had a system that ran the PS2 emulator, 2k 05 can be ran in 4k. Inside out 2k 05 was a better quality product than Madden 04-07.

I played it today with 25 fps or so with the resurrection mod and I'm blown away by the realism in the gameplay. Makes Madden seem like an arcade game lol. I especially like the weekly prep in franchise mode, giving staff members weekly assignments and players daily tasks.

If I could only find a way to play the mod with custom resolution like the base game I'd have it completely playable. My low end PC needs right between the garbage PS2 graphics and 720p.

Why did the NFL go with EA over 2k? Madden had much better player models, and a "brighter" game (felt like playing evening football without stadium lights on 2k5) and John Madden/Al Michaels but other than that I think 2k had them beat in every other aspect.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:32 am

When it comes to football games, 2K 05 was probably the best. When it comes to them as companies, they both suck, but I actually think Take Two is probably worse by a hair. They have more reports of abusive workplace conditions than EA, and they sue modders with reckless abandon over the GTA games. EA doesn't do that shit.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:51 am

I'm worried that if I were to play 2k22 regularly it'd ruin Madden 08 for me lol

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:38 am

TheRareButter wrote:I'm worried that if I were to play 2k22 regularly it'd ruin Madden 08 for me lol
What's there to ruin? Playing any of the NCAA titles should open your eyes to what's lacking in Madden 08. Playing the 2K 22 mod confirms that Madden 08 wasn't the best, it was the only game in town. Sounds like you have some sense of undeserved loyalty to Madden 08.

Edit: PCSX2 does have a control feature called "brightness" that you can adjust.

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:12 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:
TheRareButter wrote:I'm worried that if I were to play 2k22 regularly it'd ruin Madden 08 for me lol
What's there to ruin? Playing any of the NCAA titles should open your eyes to what's lacking in Madden 08. Playing the 2K 22 mod confirms that Madden 08 wasn't the best, it was the only game in town. Sounds like you have some sense of undeserved loyalty to Madden 08.

Edit: PCSX2 does have a control feature called "brightness" that you can adjust.

Madden 08's my only option at the moment other than 2k5 and NFL Head Coach, my laptop can't run the modern Madden's. (plus 08 has all these mods to use) I'm optimistic about the new EA college game though.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:44 pm

TheRareButter wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:

Madden 08's my only option at the moment other than 2k5 and NFL Head Coach, my laptop can't run the modern Madden's. (plus 08 has all these mods to use) I'm optimistic about the new EA college game though.

Understandable, but if you laptop doesn't run the latest Madden games, the new college probably won't run either. If you're a true pc gamer, a new pc is going to be your best bet to play the newer titles that interest you. I had a similar issue which required me to update my gpu.
It took a few months. I took extra jobs to save the cash. It was worth it.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:49 am

If they would have kept competing we might have a really great game (or 2) by now.

But EA has exclusivity, so they can just poop out a turd, slap an NFL logo on it and shovel in the MUT money from the kids and man-children.

Without competition there is no creativity or innovation.
Thats why Madden 08 and 2k5 were so good. Its not which one was better... they are both in another league compared to Madden 17-22
No signature needed.

d36williams
Veteran

Postby d36williams » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:50 pm

The NFL's endorsed monopoly has allowed NFL video games to whither. The NFL was mad at NFL 2k at one point, for cutting their prices below what the NFL considered the minimum threshold to establish elite brand credibility. The NFL doesn't allow anything to exist with their brand that isn't marked up considerably. <--- that's one story I've read as to why the NFL settled on an EA monopoly.

Either way the bleak lack of competition and a captured audience has brought it down quite a bit. I do think Madden for a long time was an incredible educational tool, and a wealth of ways to play. I think the NFL under appreciated the role of video games in developing an even more entrenched audience. In many ways football ratings peaked in the mid 2000s through 2015, and a lot of that had to do with people who played Madden being in their 20s and having time to watch loads of football. I'm older now and can't even make all the time for the Cowboys. With the Madden/EA decay, I think the NFL is losing out on that long running pipeline of fans. There are many factors that led to the ratings decay in 2016-2020, and in 2021 they are finally rebounding a bit. But I do think the halcyon days of TV ratings were the 90s-2015ish, and a lot of that was driven by video games.

I remember being a kid c1995 playing Madden on PC, developing my own plays, and using a keyboard.

Madden offers quite a bit over say, Temco Bowl, but I wonder if EA ever realized that. Without John Madden around, to be a powerful personality and set very high standards, it all just seems to have fallen apart.

Return to “General Discussion”