DBs don't seem to understand Deep Coverage, and it results in deep passes.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:27 pm

I was carefully paying attention at how Corners and Safeties played streaks. I noticed that, despite being in zone coverage (Be it 2 Deep, 3 Deep or Quarters) DBs seem to prefer pursuing receivers instead of actually preventing them from getting past them. Here's my example: Let's say a WR is lined up on the outside, running a streak. The defense came out in Cover 2 Man. On the snap, the WR runs his route. When the corner notices the receiver is not running a short route, he turns around and starts running. However, the WR gains a step on him because the WR is sprinting but the cornerback is just running. When he notices the receiver gained a step on him, the corner starts sprinting. At this point, CPU QBs think the WR is "open" (He's not, remember, it is Cover 2 Man, there is a safety over the top). Then the WR and the corner reach the deep half the safety is covering. The safety reacts to the WR sprinting downfield, by running downfield himself. However, just like the corner a few moments before, the safety is just running while the receiver is sprinting. The receiver gains a step, and THEN the safety starts running. To the CPU QB, the WR is still open, but he still has two guys on him that could very well force a bobble pass (They ignore the fact that knocking down the ball would be the smart decision, but DB pass defense it's beyond the scope of this post). Does anyone else notice this behavior? Additionally, two more things, does anyone else noticed that at times, defenders seem to take poor pursuit angles against ball carriers (Running at them, ending in a whiffed tackle and a massive play, instead of running ahead of them, ending with a tackle from the front)? Second, do LBs seem far more capable than DBs when it comes to knocking down passes?
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

rambolz
All-Pro

Re: DBs don't seem to understand Deep Coverage, and it results in deep passes.

Postby rambolz » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:57 pm

jose21crisis wrote:-snip-

Yes, yes and yes.

The deep zone coverage really frustrates me. I like to play zone 2 or zone 3 but there's always times when you find your deep zone players chasing the receiver.

The pursuit angles are always straight for the player carrying the ball, never to where he is going to be...then a diving tackle at a wrong angle :roll:

I haven't really ever thought about the LB pass knockdowns, but it makes sense now. I don't know if it has to do with their positioning or what, but for me at least passes to the middle of the field close to the middle linebacker often gets knocked down by the LB.

Return to “General Discussion”