What if EA Sports brought back Madden to PC...?

adoreizi
Pro Bowl

Postby adoreizi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:33 am

Curious if EA Sports brought back Madden to PC. Would people still play madden 08 or would most transition to the new game which would clearly have so many more features and such. Just a thought.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Theov
MVP

Re: What if EA Sports brought back Madden to PC...?

Postby Theov » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:18 am

It would be broken, full of glitches, the rosters would lack QBs because they cost an extra $15, no franchise mode, no importable anything, no custom packages, paid online play, not customizable, it would be full of useless filler and nonsense and adds, it would be bad, it would suck, it would stink and I would rather ram a cactus up my rectum than to spend one dollar to stinkin' EA.
Removed them. I hate that company.
No signature needed.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:12 pm

I actually wouldn't mind, mostly because my PC wouldn't be able to handle it, I would like that they brought it back, but it would take some time to get all of the features Madden 08 ever had.

What most people don't do is think about Madden NFL's development from a coding perspective. We all know that the best era for Madden NFL was the PS2/Xbox era (AKA Gen6, 2000-2011). This is because EA dedicated a lot of money to EA Tiburon to make the game, allowing for a lot of features to be added and improved, as well as the graphics and, equally important, bug fixing. Some features stuck around (Owner Mode), while some were removed (QB Vision). This was helped by the fact that EA used the same engine for Madden NFL 2001 all through the Gen6 era, ending with Madden NFL 12 Gen6. They didn't need to change anything, just add stuff to the engine and make sure it works. This was all fine and dandy, but EA simply couldn't keep producing Madden NFL for the Gen6 exclusively. That simply doesn't happen.

This marked the start of the 1st PS3/Xbox 360 era (AKA 1st Gen7, 2005-2007). Both the Gen6 and Gen7 eras overlap. That means EA was producing both Madden NFL 06 PS2/Xbox and Madden NFL 06 PS3/Xbox 360 at the same time. They simply can't use the exact same engine for BOTH console generations. So, they produced Madden NFL 06 Gen6 with the same engine it has worked so well for them, and it went as expected. Other than most people not being able to adjust to QB Vision, it went great. However, Madden NFL 06 Gen7 was more complex, since they had to start using a new engine for the Gen7 consoles, and make new code for it because they can't port the code from one game to another, AND do so with a more limited amount of money and time than the Gen6 version. Remember that Madden NFL is a game released in a year by year basis. There is only so much time to fix bugs, and is even worse if you add a new engine to it. So, Madden NFL 06 Gen7 comes out and it was a piece of crap.

This was the same up until Madden NFL 09, and that game was one of his own, because EA used a different engine for that game. Gen6 Madden NFL 09 was as good as the other ones. Gen7 Madden NFL 09 was ... well, never played it. I looked at it and it looked decent.

Then began the 2nd Gen7 era (2009-2010). Once again, Madden NFL had a new engine, which meant some features, as well as the gameplay structure had to be rewritten. EA started to devote less money to EA Tiburon, so that meant slower development. This meant (among other things) less features that could be added and less time to fix bugs. This also meant stupider AI, to the point you couldn't execute screen passes correctly because the HB couldn't get out of the OT's back. It got better in Madden NFL 11.

Then began the 3rd Gen7 era (2011-2013). EA changed the engine YET AGAIN. Features went down the drain, code had to be written all over again. EA dedicated less money to the game, bugs increased, features decreased. The game got better ... somewhat.

Finally, you have the PS4/Xbox One era (AKA the Gen8 era, 2014-2017). New console meant a new engine .... you now know what happens whent he engine changes. EA dedicated even LESS money to develop the game. And this one was lots of glitches. At least, day one releases where glitch filled. Because EA doesn't put the enough money so that the devs can work on the features, test them and fix the bugs in the limited time between the previous year's release and this year's release.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:57 pm

It’s sad how the computers they make the games on never get the finished product...

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:10 pm

Additionally to everything I said above: Madden NFL Football, starting from the Gen6 era, has been an arcade style football game. And EA Sports WON'T deviate from this idea, as they don't think a simulation mode in their game would matter much because people wouldn't care about it. That last one, about a realistic, simulation mode, comes from one of the devs.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:17 am

jose21crisis wrote:Additionally to everything I said above: Madden NFL Football, starting from the Gen6 era, has been an arcade style football game. And EA Sports WON'T deviate from this idea, as they don't think a simulation mode in their game would matter much because people wouldn't care about it. That last one, about a realistic, simulation mode, comes from one of the devs.

Arcade can be fun! NFL Street is the most fun football game ever. But EA cant decide between arcade and simulation, so it too dumb to be a simulation and too boring to be arcade. If they make a feature where you can make your own rules, 4v4, 7v7, 15v15 for that matter, resizable fields, 20 yards or 5 yards for a first down etc... then it would make it fun again. But EA/NFL have no imagination at all. Make a football game accessible for the masses and try to pull out as much $ until the next release. There is no competition so all money goes to making money and... thats it.
No signature needed.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Theov wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:Additionally to everything I said above: Madden NFL Football, starting from the Gen6 era, has been an arcade style football game. And EA Sports WON'T deviate from this idea, as they don't think a simulation mode in their game would matter much because people wouldn't care about it. That last one, about a realistic, simulation mode, comes from one of the devs.

Arcade can be fun! NFL Street is the most fun football game ever. But EA cant decide between arcade and simulation, so it too dumb to be a simulation and too boring to be arcade. If they make a feature where you can make your own rules, 4v4, 7v7, 15v15 for that matter, resizable fields, 20 yards or 5 yards for a first down etc... then it would make it fun again. But EA/NFL have no imagination at all. Make a football game accessible for the masses and try to pull out as much $ until the next release. There is no competition so all money goes to making money and... thats it.

That was not supposed to come as "Arcade games suck". NFL Street was plenty of fun. But I think that quality for Madden started to go down when EA got the exclusive from the NFL to be the only company that could make a football game. Before, you had Sega and EA, with NFL 2K (Later, ESPN NFL 2K) and Madden NFl at it to see which one was the best. Madden usually was one step ahead of NFL 2K, specially with franchise mode. Then, in 2004, ESPN NFL 2K5 came out. Gameplay was better than Madden NFL 2005 (Your millage may vary), and it came out cheaper than Madden NFL 2005. EA lost a ton of money there. Then the NFL decided to make it so that only one company could make their official football game and EA outbid Sega for the exclusivity. Since they didn't have anyone to compete with, they did what they pleased. You can put part of the blame on why Madden is bad on the NFL itself.
Semper fi

SeahawksBBC
Pro Bowl

Postby SeahawksBBC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 am

I'd play it.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Theov wrote:It would be broken, full of glitches, the rosters would lack QBs because they cost an extra $15, no franchise mode, no importable anything, no custom packages, paid online play, not customizable, it would be full of useless filler and nonsense and adds, it would be bad, it would suck, it would stink and I would rather ram a cactus up my rectum than to spend one dollar to stinkin' EA.
Removed them. I hate that company.

Have to agreed... microtransactions are a thing...

I like to imagine a world where could exist two football games... (or more)
it's not perfect, like we can see in FIFA/PES example... but is better than a monopoly

adoreizi
Pro Bowl

Postby adoreizi » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Well it looks like it’s happening....

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/06/09/madden-19-on-pc/

Return to “General Discussion”