Winning with a bad QB

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: Winning with a bad QB

Postby jose21crisis » Sun May 06, 2018 4:52 pm

I usually take high THA QBs all day and adjust my playstyle accordingly, instead of running a vertical offense I just go West Coast, and if necessary I ground and pound the ball. However, when it comes to playing in a franchise I would draft a big arm QB, then develop him into an accurate passer, because Throw Accuracy improves faster, and more, than Throw Power. Kind of like it happens with Speed. Speed usually goes up by 1-3 points at most, but the other stats consistently go up. So I would rather get a receiver or halfback that is plenty fast, then develop their other skills. Unless I want a true Possession Receiver/Power Back, but that's a different story.

Usually my playstyle allows for both accurate QBs and Cannon Arm QBs. I normally run lots of short patterns. Outs, Digs (In), slants, curls and a hell of a lot of screens, as well as checkdowns to the backs. However, most of the time I hot route my faster receiver (Normally, my number 2 guy) to run a Fade route, this is Shift + Up. If I'm facing Cover 1 or Cover 2 Zone, the receiver gets outside release, normally beats the corner and it's gone. If it is Cover 1, there is no way to catch him. If it's Cover 2 Zone, I just target right between corner and safety. 10 Yards and move the chains. And if they have a blown assignment, you won't see that receiver ever again.

I also use half field reads. This is, I only execute concepts on one side of the field. Curl Flats, Slants, Levels (2 Receivers run the same route, usually an In route. One beyond the LOS, the other one underneath. You fire it a whoever the MLB doesn't cover), crossing patterns like the Mesh or Shallow Cross are all good for this. I usually only have 2-3 receivers I target thanks to this, the guys running the play's concept and the checkdown to the back.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:22 pm

jose21crisis wrote:I usually take high THA QBs all day and adjust my playstyle accordingly, instead of running a vertical offense I just go West Coast, and if necessary I ground and pound the ball. However, when it comes to playing in a franchise I would draft a big arm QB, then develop him into an accurate passer, because Throw Accuracy improves faster, and more, than Throw Power. Kind of like it happens with Speed. Speed usually goes up by 1-3 points at most, but the other stats consistently go up. So I would rather get a receiver or halfback that is plenty fast, then develop their other skills. Unless I want a true Possession Receiver/Power Back, but that's a different story.

Usually my playstyle allows for both accurate QBs and Cannon Arm QBs. I normally run lots of short patterns. Outs, Digs (In), slants, curls and a hell of a lot of screens, as well as checkdowns to the backs. However, most of the time I hot route my faster receiver (Normally, my number 2 guy) to run a Fade route, this is Shift + Up. If I'm facing Cover 1 or Cover 2 Zone, the receiver gets outside release, normally beats the corner and it's gone. If it is Cover 1, there is no way to catch him. If it's Cover 2 Zone, I just target right between corner and safety. 10 Yards and move the chains. And if they have a blown assignment, you won't see that receiver ever again.

I also use half field reads. This is, I only execute concepts on one side of the field. Curl Flats, Slants, Levels (2 Receivers run the same route, usually an In route. One beyond the LOS, the other one underneath. You fire it a whoever the MLB doesn't cover), crossing patterns like the Mesh or Shallow Cross are all good for this. I usually only have 2-3 receivers I target thanks to this, the guys running the play's concept and the checkdown to the back.

I think your play style is similar to mine. If i have a low THP qb then I mix in quite a few runs to keep the defense honest. But if I have a high THP qb I pass a bit more than run.

I used to do that shallow crosses/wr's shading each others patterns on the same side of the field. The advantage of that is if one wr bobbles the catch the other wr if you're fast enough can catch the falling ball and move the chains.

I utilize a lot of singleback 4 and 5 wr sets with multiple crossing patterns like smashed fork versions I do using hot route custom routes on wr3, 4 or 5,

Shotgun formations as I mentioned before on the site are harder to throw in terms of setting qb feet and darting the pass....It is much better to hone your passing skills using singleback where the qb gets the ball quicker and can setup faster to dart passes rather than shotgun where most passes just flail or hang or you have to wait longer for the patterns to develop....

For franchise mode I take a high tha qb over thp but I also if I can find a FA with high THP but low THA I develop him into a solid 2nd string/potential starter....
this is done by achieving a good lead by the 3rd quarter and then subbing in my 2nd qb for the rest of the game, and utilitizing the running game to lower chances of a interception by the defense sitting on the pass...

then if you get your qb at least 2-3 td's per game (backup guy that is) you can bump up his thp and tha as long as your int rate is very low and comp rate is high....then when you win the superbowl the awr gets bumped up as well....that's the time you trade him after the SB for a high draft pick or another team's skill player....while the other team gets a pseudo starter.....

also when you allow the computer to do contracts the salaries are just insane....for 1st roudn picks...so what i do is I develop them for 1-2 seasons and then I trade them (the starter) and get anotther high draft pick to pick a qb with....so I get rid of that exhorbitant salary and then get a good new draft qb to replace him...also it keeps the game a bit harder/fair as you don't have the luxury of a 99ovr qb every season to whip the computer on all madden mode lol...so it makes the games more close/exciting......plus its fun to develop qbs and trade them...like running your own qb mill :P
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:36 am

Totally agree. Love to see my qb farm products work their magic somehwere else.
I dont get progression points on SPD or THP though or STR for that matter. I only saw it once or twice.
Tha, cth, car, btk, blocking and tak get the most progression.
Catching and tha progression is mostly correlated with yards I noticed. I threw 7 tds and no picks but most goal line passes with my qb2 but he didnt progress much. Throwing 700 yards without other production gave him +2.
I wonder how to progress spd, for obvious reasons.
No signature needed.

Return to “General Discussion”