Winning with a bad QB

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: Winning with a bad QB

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:06 pm

NickyJ wrote:The problem with low THP is that it really restricts what you can do in the 2 minute drill, especially if it's more like a 1 minute drill. I was playing a Redskins vs. Patriots game in my 2007 franchise, and I had to start Todd Collins for the game. I love my man Todd, but he has 86 THP as opposed to Jason Campbell's 91. I won the game, but Collins' longest pass was 26 yards. Campbell had a 70 yarder the previous game. I was painfully aware of the difference when I had 40 seconds and 2 timeouts before halftime. If you need to make a lot of yards fast in All Madden (you always will at some point), high THP is necessary. Otherwise, any pass over 20 yards is a lame duck pass.

That's one of the reasons I prefer QBs with the Cannon Arm weapon (Usually 90+ THP) than Precision Passers (Usually 90+ THA). Not only they can throw deep, but they have that additional zip in their throws. In standard Madden 08, I would rather have Big Ben or even JaMarcus Russell (Even though he's bad) than Drew Brees or Phillip Rivers (Even though I like Phillip Rivers, and LT is a glitch). And is easier to draft a QB that has great throwing power and develop his accuracy, than taking a QB that has uncanny accuracy but has a noddle for an arm. It is easier to increase Accuracy than Power (This goes for throwing, kicking and SPD. And this only applies if you aren't using the Training Camps at the begining of the season).
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:46 pm

All good points all around. For me, I tried to take the 60 yards in 40 seconds drive in chunks. But one short pass and a drop later, I ended up 3rd and 4 and needed my statue of a QB to run for first. That took at least 8 seconds off the clock on its own, and after that I ran into the same problem.

I have to agree with jose on this one, it's easier to take a cannon of a QB and dink and dunk your way through progression to build him up. Bonus points if he's a cannon with good mobility so you don't have to risk tight spaces. In the end, being able to heave a 50 yard pass does wonders for opening up the playbook, especially with a good run game. I had that in a 2005 franchise with Patrick Ramsey (94 THP), Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, and Az-Zahir Hakim all on the field at once. That was unstoppable.

Code: Select all

PASSING                        CMP  ATT  YDS  PCT   YPA SACK   TD  INT LONG RATING
Patrick Ramsey                 202  391 3498   51   8.9   11   42   16   76  101.1

RUSHING                        ATT  YDS   AVG LONG   TD  FUM
Clinton Portis                 236 1574   6.6   71    9    1

RECEIVING                      REC  YDS   AVG LONG   TD DROP  YAC
Az-Zahir Hakim                  27  697  25.8   70    9    2  169
Santana Moss                    21  681  32.4   71    9    9   99

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:43 pm

I hope this is an appropriate thread to post this.

Has anyone noticed that QB speed seems to have an effect on power and accuracy? I like quick QBs. I don’t actually scramble, but I like to run out of the pocket to find throwing lanes. I find that I can throw long and accurate passes while on the run, even when my QB’s attributes are not that high.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:02 pm

JPK wrote:I hope this is an appropriate thread to post this.

Has anyone noticed that QB speed seems to have an effect on power and accuracy? I like quick QBs. I don’t actually scramble, but I like to run out of the pocket to find throwing lanes. I find that I can throw long and accurate passes while on the run, even when my QB’s attributes are not that high.

The QB Type alters Throw Accuracy and Throw Power depending if the QB is in the pocket or out of it. "Pocket Passers" get a penalty in accuracy and power if they are out of the pocket. "Scrambling QBs" get a boost on the same situation. "Balanced" QBs don't get penalized or get a boost.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:13 pm

jose21crisis wrote:

The QB Type alters Throw Accuracy and Throw Power depending if the QB is in the pocket or out of it. "Pocket Passers" get a penalty in accuracy and power if they are out of the pocket. "Scrambling QBs" get a boost on the same situation. "Balanced" QBs don't get penalized or get a boost.

:o I had never realized that. Thanks for the info!

henshao
Pro Bowl

Postby henshao » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:02 pm

In madden yes a cannon QB is preferable to an accurate QB if you must choose IE jamarcus russell is preferable to chad pennington but only because you are controlling the QB. In real life a smart QB is the first option, one who knows where to go with the ball. his ability to get it there is secondary

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 am

jose21crisis wrote:

Do scramblers get a penalty in the pocket too?
No signature needed.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:11 am

Theov wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:

Nope, only Pocket Passers get penalized out of the pocket. There are no other penalties when passing
Semper fi

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:58 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
Theov wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:

Nope, only Pocket Passers get penalized out of the pocket. There are no other penalties when passing

Thanks!
I pretty much only play with scramblers (cunningham, vick, young, newton, etc, so thanks. I didnt know.
No signature needed.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:41 pm

interesting, i had no idea that pocket passers get penalized when outside the pocket and throwing....I have found that most of their deep throws tend to be late or flail (higher chance of getting intercepted) when trying to gun a long bomb as a pocket passer...

running qbs have a better chance of throwing deep and completing it outside the pocket....I myself prefer mobile quarterbacks as I can aim throws better with them. But I have used statue quarterbacks well in the pocket but you have to choose smarter and safer plays/throws as compared to completing flag routes towards the sideline or trying to go deep.....its better in those scenarios to have a mobile qb with which you can aim throws using the arrow keys....

On the separate point of whether drafting a high throw power qb vs a high accuracy qb, I think your guys view is correct that a high thp is better than a high tha....however I have drafted a 88 thp and 90 tha qb before and developed him into an all star over 2-3 seasons by completing short passes and using the break tackle/highlight stick on your wr who caught the ball can help take it the distance....

like i mentioned in another thread....you may only complete a 10 yrd curl but if your wr can break a tackle and go 50 yrds YAC the pass will look like "long of 60 yards thrown" by the qb which will trick the system into increasing the qb power and accuracy of your qb who completed the pass.....

Personally, I prefer more accurate quarterbacks over power quarterbacks when I draft. My style of play is usually involving mobility and short 20 yard chunk plays which on occasion I can break for big gainers...

its a very safe reliable style of play with a very low interception rate (usually the most i throw in a season is 3-4 if even that.....

I find the more td's and low ints you throw the THA goes up sky high (like 7-8 pts over the course of the season (excluding Training camp alterations)) your THP will bump up 2-3 if you're lucky but with experience and a high rate of completion over 2 seasons at minimum you can bump your THP by 4-5 pts easily....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Return to “General Discussion”