I had never seen this one before

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 am

So, while testing some sliders I was watching this game (CPU v. CPU) when the Panthers lined up for what would have been a 60 yard FG and I thought 'this will be interesting.' Then the snap went directly to the PK and he punted it deep (no Redskins were back to receive), and the Panthers downed it inside the 10. Anyway, after watching thousands of Madden08 games, this was a first for me. I'm sure others have seen this but I thought it was pretty cool. Is that play actually in some of the stock playbooks?? (I guess it must be)

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: I had never seen this one before

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 am

Yep, that's on every playbook. Is the only Fake Field Goal the CPU uses. That's the Fake FG Punt and it is very, VERY rare. I employ it a decent amount of time (LIke ... twice per season because Chris Boswell has leg and can barely make those 60 yarders), but the CPU needs some very, VERY specific conditions to do it. I might check those conditions.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:54 am

jose21crisis wrote:Yep, that's on every playbook. Is the only Fake Field Goal the CPU uses. That's the Fake FG Punt and it is very, VERY rare. I employ it a decent amount of time (LIke ... twice per season because Chris Boswell has leg and can barely make those 60 yarders), but the CPU needs some very, VERY specific conditions to do it. I might check those conditions.

It's not in Dallas' playbook. I'm about 95% certain of that.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:15 pm

RevanFan wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:Yep, that's on every playbook. Is the only Fake Field Goal the CPU uses. That's the Fake FG Punt and it is very, VERY rare. I employ it a decent amount of time (LIke ... twice per season because Chris Boswell has leg and can barely make those 60 yarders), but the CPU needs some very, VERY specific conditions to do it. I might check those conditions.

I'm pretty sure it is on every offensive playbook. Check all the pages in the Special Teams formation. Should be there.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:32 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

I'm pretty sure it is on every offensive playbook. Check all the pages in the Special Teams formation. Should be there.

Default or FF Mod?
My Cowboys Journal

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:57 pm

RevanFan wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:
RevanFan wrote:It's not in Dallas' playbook. I'm about 95% certain of that.

Default or FF Mod?

Both
Semper fi

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:32 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:

Default or FF Mod?

Both

You're correct. It's there. I've just never seen it before. Maybe because I wasn't looking for it.
My Cowboys Journal

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm

I have never seen the computer run it, but i have used it before versus another player and it wasn't really effective. At least for me it wasn't.

Its better to punt regular and aim toward the sideline.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 pm

KO'BBF wrote:I have never seen the computer run it, but i have used it before versus another player and it wasn't really effective. At least for me it wasn't.

I've seen it once. I've also seen the AI use the quarterback punt, but again, only once.
My Cowboys Journal

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:34 pm

RevanFan wrote:
KO'BBF wrote:I have never seen the computer run it, but i have used it before versus another player and it wasn't really effective. At least for me it wasn't.

I've seen it once. I've also seen the AI use the quarterback punt, but again, only once.

I've seen the AI use the Fake Field Goal Punt once. And I've never seen the AI use the QB Punt for the simple reason that the QB Punt is only in one playbook, the Steelers offensive playbook. Big Ben is a surprisingly good punter. A shame the QB Punt is not in the Patriots playbook too, because Tom Brady and Matt Cassel (Back when he was on the Pats) have punted the ball a few times. Using it on 3rd down or 4th and short is a good way to screw with the CPU, and to prevent return guys like Devin Hester to take the field and do bad things to the score board. Just don't use the "Return Missed FGs and Fumble Fix" script from Calhoupe's Scripts. It breaks the play by allowing Offensive Players to recover the punt like it was "Blocked".
Semper fi

Return to “General Discussion”