Passing to your backs in the flats

madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

Postby madden07eurocat » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:43 am

I've always noticed that, it seems that 75% of the time, a pass gets thrown out of bounds when dumping off to a back in the flats. Is there some reason that the QB is so horrible at judging the distance of a pass in the flats? Many times I don't even look the direction of the back in the flats because of this. It just seems that unless it is a wheel route that is to the long side of the field, that is the only way that a pass has a prayer of staying in bounds.
Any thoughts?
Don't sweat the petty things, and yet don't pet the sweaty things! ;)

Sponsor

Sponsor

RayLewis
Rookie

Re: Passing to your backs in the flats

Postby RayLewis » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:40 am

I noticed that also and i hate it :D Just like you said either he overthrows it or if i try a fast ball he drops it or something. I hope there is some kind of explanation.

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:02 pm

madden07eurocat wrote:I've always noticed that, it seems that 75% of the time, a pass gets thrown out of bounds when dumping off to a back in the flats. Is there some reason that the QB is so horrible at judging the distance of a pass in the flats? Many times I don't even look the direction of the back in the flats because of this. It just seems that unless it is a wheel route that is to the long side of the field, that is the only way that a pass has a prayer of staying in bounds.
Any thoughts?

I've noticed that 3 things can happen on a pass into the flat. Either:
1. It gets to the WR with space to run no matter if it's a bullet pass or floater
2. A floater pass is thrown and the ball sails to the white line, leaving you with no room to make a catch
3: A bullet pass is thrown and the ball darts past the RB out of bounds.

kkende112233
All-Pro

Postby kkende112233 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 pm

I rarely if ever have seen the CPU throw to backs in the flats. one thing though is if the back reaches the sideline and then breaks his route and runs a fly up the sideline its pretty deadly if theres no pressure on the QB.

JPMoneyman
All-Pro

Postby JPMoneyman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:21 pm

kkende112233 wrote:I rarely if ever have seen the CPU throw to backs in the flats. one thing though is if the back reaches the sideline and then breaks his route and runs a fly up the sideline its pretty deadly if theres no pressure on the QB.

Yeah, that one really kills me too cause just when I think I have all the WR routes covered and the QB spied and pressure on- there it goes to the RB who ALWAYS catches it for huge yardage!

As for why the QBs don't seem to pass to the flats. I have a pretty feeble and shaky theory at best!
The pass to a back in the flats is generally a "dump off" play, so most QBs would only use it as an escape from pressure (well I theorise that was the thought about it when madden was made way back in the day!) So perhaps the game mechanics tend to use a progression system with the back in the flats as a last resort and only if there's noone else to pass to? So the CPU QB tends to pass to receivers downfield and not coming out of the backfield except on screen plays (which by them selves seemed quite ineffectual in the original madden 08, along with WR runs:end around etc). Like you say if you don't sack or put enough pressure on the QB by the time the RB is the last option, he finishes his route in the flats, breaks from his assigned play and heads downfield unmarked and open to a throw!

As for my personal experience, if I have a running back who is a good receiver and as long as the QB isn't throwing off his back foot or moving around then I do have some success throwing to him. It's never 100% or sometimes not even 60% and at some times I get sacked before even getting it off even though I just tap the button in time!
I would say I have the most trouble getting separation from my WR going on the deep routes more than I do with check downs and RBs in the flats. In particular with my #1 WR. And for the life of me I can't figure out how a 79 speed LB can stay step for step with a 90 speed WR in coverage on a streak route! But that's another post isn't it and not for here.

Anyway that's my take on it. But I will admit I haven't played Madden on the latest consoles so I'm not sure of how the passing and role of RBs in the passing game has evolved in madden. I do know that these days in the NFL a valuable RB is one who can compliment the passing game and the league tends to use the RB as just as much a passing threat as a running one and so we are definitely seeing more planned passes to RB in the flats and short yardage from the line of scrimmage (think the Falcons RBs, Todd Gurley, Corey Clement, Tarik Cohen etc.)

Return to “General Discussion”