Playing with both 2008 and 2017 rosters? [Portrait Pack Q]

KyleOrton'sNeckbeard
Rookie

Postby KyleOrton'sNeckbeard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:14 am

Hi all,

I just got the FF/FI installed (aside, you all are both saints and wizards) and it runs great. I saved the default roster before I did (in part to create the necessary folder in Documents, but also because I wanted it).
My hope is to be able to primarily play with RogerJinx's updated roster, but also run a franchise with that old roster that starts from the 2008 defaults (and work through the years with draft classes until I'm up to date). Trying to do so with the FF/FI results in goofy, mismatched/missing portraits for the 2008 players (and possibly other problems, I haven't made it through training camp yet).

My main question is: Are the portrait packs a separate file from the rosters, and if so can I download the original one and just manually switch it in and out of a folder, depending on whether I want to play with 2017 or 2008 rosters? Or is there a more efficient way?

As a secondary question, if there's any reason why playing with a saved 2008 roster with FF/FI installed will gunk things up, I would much appreciate it if someone would let me know so I can avoid problems.

Thanks for any advice, and thanks in general for this amazing resource!

Sponsor

Sponsor

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Playing with both 2008 and 2017 rosters? [Portrait Pack Q]

Postby NickyJ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:26 pm

To answer your main question, the portraits and the rosters are separate files. Player portraits are stored in UIS_LIB_PLAYER_PORT.dat, which is located just outside the rosters folder in Documents\Madden NFL 08. You can keep both portrait packs in the same folder. All you have to do is rename one of them (such as naming one "Default UIS_LIB_PLAYER_PORT.dat"), and change it when you want to switch between the portraits.

For the second, someone else can probably explain it better, but there are certain settings that can sometimes cause the game to crash or just not look right. I'll leave that to someone else since I don't know a whole lot about why it causes problems, just that it does.

KyleOrton'sNeckbeard
Rookie

Postby KyleOrton'sNeckbeard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks Nicky! It looks like I copied over that file without saving a copy (...oops), but I'm sure I can find it. That was exactly the help I was looking for, so much appreciated!

EDIT: Actually, you answered my question in an old thread--I searched and realized a copy of it is in Data0. Much appreciated, thanks again.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:15 pm

If you try to use a 2007 default roster with the FF Mod, there will be a few differences.

• 1. The portraits will obviously not match up.
  • 2. Player ratings will be different from what you expect, unless you switch to the "DB_TEMPLATES.dat-origOVR" file.
  • 3. There may be stadium issues, but it isn't likely. They should all still work fine.
  • 4. There will be field art differences, with possible incorrect field art or other errors.
  • 5. There will be uniform issues, as we've changed many uniforms over the years. The only uniforms that I can guarantee will work are the home and away uniforms for each team, but they will be 2017 uniforms.
  • 6. The equipment will not be the same, as much of the equipment was changed in the mod.
  • 7. Playbooks and graphics, such as team logos, will not be 2007 accurate.
  • 8. The superstar rookie list will be incorrect.

There could be other issues, but these are the ones I could think of. And most of these issues won't cause crashes. Any crashes could be mitigated by using the TEAM, STAD, TUNI, and CITY tables from the FF Mod's roster, but then you wouldn't truly have a full 2007 experience. It would be 2007 players on 2017 teams, in essence. Well, except for the CITY table. That can be safely moved over no matter what without muddying the experience.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

KyleOrton'sNeckbeard
Rookie

Postby KyleOrton'sNeckbeard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks RevanFan! Appreciate the feedback.

I was able to fix portraits with NickyJ's help, by (temporarily) replacing that PLAYER_PORT file. For what it's worth, for these purposes I don't much care about accuracy to 2007 (if they're all 2017 playbooks, unis, field, equipment, etc., that's just great), nor do I need uni options beyond home and away on this file, but I would like the player ratings to be correct. That said, I was just playing in training camp and they look correct at that stage (...with Kyle Orton unjustly ranking below Griese and Grossman).

My Documents folder DOES have a "DB_TEMPLATES.dat-origOVR" file, but I just don't recall if that was one of the files that get replaced when you copy over everything from the FF/FI downloads. If that is indeed replaced, should try to find another copy of that file that matches the original? Or do you think that the fact that ratings match the default right now suggest things are working correctly and that is unnecessary?

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:27 pm

KyleOrton'sNeckbeard wrote:Thanks RevanFan! Appreciate the feedback.

I was able to fix portraits with NickyJ's help, by (temporarily) replacing that PLAYER_PORT file. For what it's worth, for these purposes I don't much care about accuracy to 2007 (if they're all 2017 playbooks, unis, field, equipment, etc., that's just great), nor do I need uni options beyond home and away on this file, but I would like the player ratings to be correct. That said, I was just playing in training camp and they look correct at that stage (...with Kyle Orton unjustly ranking below Griese and Grossman).

My Documents folder DOES have a "DB_TEMPLATES.dat-origOVR" file, but I just don't recall if that was one of the files that get replaced when you copy over everything from the FF/FI downloads. If that is indeed replaced, should try to find another copy of that file that matches the original? Or do you think that the fact that ratings match the default right now suggest things are working correctly and that is unnecessary?

No, no. That DB_TEMPLATES file is the exact same as the one used by the FF Mod, other than one difference. It uses the game's original OVR rating calculations. Instructions for switching DB_TEMPLATES files should be included with the CORE FILES package.

If you don't care about the uniforms, stadiums, and the like being 2017, then I would HIGHLY suggest taking the TEAM, STAD, TUNI, and CITY tables from the mod's default roster and moving them to your 2007 roster. That should prevent any crashes, along with remembering to auto-reorder team depth charts.
My Cowboys Journal

KyleOrton'sNeckbeard
Rookie

Postby KyleOrton'sNeckbeard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Ah ok, I see now that in the "Core Files" readme (downloaded from the New Users sticky in the FAQ) it says "NOTE: There are two DB_TEMPLATES.dat files. The primary file uses rogerjinx's new overall calculation for players. The DB_TEMPLATES.dat-origOVR file instead uses the default Madden NFL 08 overall calculations." That appears to be all it says in terms of instructions, unless I'm missing it (...which I admit is super possible!)

Should both be in my Documents folder? Or do those instructions mean that only the one named DB_TEMPLATES.dat will be used, and that if I want to use the originals calculation I need to rename it? Furthermore, if I use rogerjinx's will everything still work and be reasonable? (I don't care if they're the SAME player ratings as in the original, as long as they work/progress properly and are accurate relative to one another, i.e. Urlacher is both faster and better than Hunter Hillenmayer, Tommie Harris is stronger than the kicker, etc.) I totally defer to you on which would be better to use for playing a franchise with the original, factory default rosters.

With respect to the TEAM, STAD, TUNI and CITY tables, are those from RogerJinx's mod, as downloaded separately from the FF/FI mod linked to here?: http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopi ... 683#p98853

I don't seem to have files with names exactly like those in either the Documents (copied from "Core Files", "Primary Graphics", "Secondary Graphics", and "Gameplay Files" downloads at the above link) OR in program files (copied from "Program Files"). I did not install anything else but those to this point.

(And thanks again for the other response!)

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:02 pm

KyleOrton'sNeckbeard wrote:Ah ok, I see now that in the "Core Files" readme (downloaded from the New Users sticky in the FAQ) it says "NOTE: There are two DB_TEMPLATES.dat files. The primary file uses rogerjinx's new overall calculation for players. The DB_TEMPLATES.dat-origOVR file instead uses the default Madden NFL 08 overall calculations." That appears to be all it says in terms of instructions, unless I'm missing it (...which I admit is super possible!)

Should both be in my Documents folder? Or do those instructions mean that only the one named DB_TEMPLATES.dat will be used, and that if I want to use the originals calculation I need to rename it? Furthermore, if I use rogerjinx's will everything still work and be reasonable? (I don't care if they're the SAME player ratings as in the original, as long as they work/progress properly and are accurate relative to one another, i.e. Urlacher is both faster and better than Hunter Hillenmayer, Tommie Harris is stronger than the kicker, etc.) I totally defer to you on which would be better to use for playing a franchise with the original, factory default rosters.

With respect to the TEAM, STAD, TUNI and CITY tables, are those from RogerJinx's mod, as downloaded separately from the FF/FI mod linked to here?: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19683#p98853

I don't seem to have files with names exactly like those in either the Documents (copied from "Core Files", "Primary Graphics", "Secondary Graphics", and "Gameplay Files" downloads at the above link) OR in program files (copied from "Program Files"). I did not install anything else but those to this point.

(And thanks again for the other response!)

1. Both DB_TEMPLATES files are fine being left in your Documents. The only one that will be active is the one named "DB_TEMPLATES.dat". If you want to use the original OVR ratings, just rename "DB_TEMPLATES.dat" to "DB_TEMPLATES.dat-FFMod" or something like that, and rename "DB_TEMPLATES.dat-origOVR" to "DB_TEMPLATES.dat"

2. In order to get the tables, go in-game and load the <Default Roster> while running the full FF/FI Mod's latest updates. Save it under a different name. Then, quit the game, and open that roster in the DB Editor. Then you can extract those tables and import them into your 2007 roster.
My Cowboys Journal

KyleOrton'sNeckbeard
Rookie

Postby KyleOrton'sNeckbeard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Think I got it now. Thanks for the help!

Return to “General Discussion”