DAT Arm/Shoe Color Palette Help Thread

trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: DAT Arm/Shoe Color Palette Help Thread

Postby trey31 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 pm

This is the original M08 PLADATA.dat w/o Q's (awesome) Equipment.

Well that is definitely not the default PLADATA.dat that came in the Core Files. The one that was named PLADATA.dat-orig isn't default.

I can't decompress files on my PC. Would someone care to upload a default decompressed PLADATA.dat File 17, 18, 19, or 20 (0-based)?
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Sponsor

Sponsor

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 pm

trey31 wrote:

Well that is definitely not the default PLADATA.dat that came in the Core Files. The one that was named PLADATA.dat-orig isn't default.

I can't decompress files on my PC. Would someone care to upload a default decompressed PLADATA.dat File 17, 18, 19, or 20 (0-based)?

Q's got you covered, trey....give this one a try:
un-altered_PLADATA-18-21.DAT
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 57 times

The last time I did anything with this file was nearly two years ago, but I just now opened it in DEX and took a quick glance.
Everything appears to be in it's default state.

Let me know if you think something is missing or out of place. I may have others stashed away, somewhere in my files.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:11 pm

1312qohelet wrote:
trey31 wrote:

Q's got you covered, trey....give this one a try:
un-altered_PLADATA-18-21.DAT
The last time I did anything with this file was nearly two years ago, but I just now opened it in DEX and took a quick glance.
Everything appears to be in it's default state.

Let me know if you think something is missing or out of place. I may have others stashed away, somewhere in my files.

Thank you Q! I've exhausted most of my options at this point so I thought maybe something that previously changed in the dat might be causing issues. To be honest its a long shot that is it. I'll probably see more of the same. I think it's going to end up being related to the face textures controlling the palettes of the skin/arm/hand, similar to the way uniform palettes tell the game how to color the shoes. I think faces might be doing the same.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:31 pm

trey31 wrote:Thank you Q! I've exhausted most of my options at this point so I thought maybe something that previously changed in the dat might be causing issues. To be honest its a long shot that is it. I'll probably see more of the same. I think it's going to end up being related to the face textures controlling the palettes of the skin/arm/hand, similar to the way uniform palettes tell the game how to color the shoes. I think faces might be doing the same.

No problem....you're welcome.

By the way, use this file instead:
Default_File#18-PLADATA.DAT
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 51 times

I literally just decompressed it right now.
So, it's completely virgin and untouched.
If the other one works, then good....keep one for your archives.

I'm excited to follow you guys' shoe updates, as well as your skin texture project.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:55 pm

1312qohelet wrote:
trey31 wrote:Thank you Q! I've exhausted most of my options at this point so I thought maybe something that previously changed in the dat might be causing issues. To be honest its a long shot that is it. I'll probably see more of the same. I think it's going to end up being related to the face textures controlling the palettes of the skin/arm/hand, similar to the way uniform palettes tell the game how to color the shoes. I think faces might be doing the same.

No problem....you're welcome.

By the way, use this file instead:
Default_File#18-PLADATA.DAT
I literally just decompressed it right now.
So, it's completely virgin and untouched.
If the other one works, then good....keep one for your archives.

I'm excited to follow you guys' shoe updates, as well as your skin texture project.

Wow thanks again. Very much appreciated.

If the arms don't come along in dat form, I'm going to try to log all arm-related equipment and work the arms/hands into a TPF. But I would much prefer a dat...

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:43 am

trey31 wrote:
Wow thanks again. Very much appreciated.

If the arms don't come along in dat form, I'm going to try to log all arm-related equipment and work the arms/hands into a TPF. But I would much prefer a dat...

I feel you...dat's are a real bitch, at times.

StingRay68
Hall of Fame

Postby StingRay68 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:57 am

trey31 wrote:Does anyone recall the thread where StingRay68 and possibly Voldemort, or whatever he-who-shall-not-be-named's username was, were discussing the skin tones being tied to faces?? How did that work? Anyone know?

Sounds familiar, but I believe I discussed this further at a later time with elguapo. You may want to ask him if he remembers any of that.
IIRC, the faces themselves do not use all 256 colors, some of the colors are used in the skin, and I think there 16 or so for eyes as well.
Also, the smaller mipmap levels in the face files contain extra graphics such as teeth, etc so you cant just build them off of the larger face graphic.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am

StingRay68 wrote:
trey31 wrote:Does anyone recall the thread where StingRay68 and possibly Voldemort, or whatever he-who-shall-not-be-named's username was, were discussing the skin tones being tied to faces?? How did that work? Anyone know?

Sounds familiar, but I believe I discussed this further at a later time with elguapo. You may want to ask him if he remembers any of that.
IIRC, the faces themselves do not use all 256 colors, some of the colors are used in the skin, and I think there 16 or so for eyes as well.
Also, the smaller mipmap levels in the face files contain extra graphics such as teeth, etc so you cant just build them off of the larger face graphic.

Thanks StingRay68. I don't really want to do my cyberface mod anymore, but the thread mentioned had a lot of relevant information for anyone in the future who wants to do it. Just too time consuming for me to do any significant amount of faces w/o having a model to render the textures onto and then edit via Blender or 3DS Max. In a 3D modeling program you can load textures, stretch/move them around to fit the obj model then export the texture as a new image. If I could do that, I could spit out a face texture in 2-5 minutes, completely aligned, vs the 20-60 minutes it takes me currently.

The interesting part was file 532 having mmaps of every face texture and displaying plain white obj material over the model's arms/hands/etc when "banned user" nulled file 532 in the face dat (Edit: I tested it, nulling 532 doesn't affect any faces).

I guess I'm going to look into that next if Q's default decompressed pladata file doesn't yield any different results for the arm textures. (I don't think it will. I think my arm/hand issue correlates with the face skin palette which isn't even in the same dat file).

Also, I couldn't find any other similar threads with elguapo other than the one with "banned user" that all 3 of you were posting in?

StingRay68
Hall of Fame

Postby StingRay68 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm

trey31 wrote:Also, I couldn't find any other similar threads with elguapo other than the one with "banned user" that all 3 of you were posting in?

I was discussing it with him privately, not on the forums.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:21 pm

Faces rendering on arms is likely directly related to the face palettes containing the skin tone palette

Return to “General Discussion”