Madden 18 Longshot

achernar
Hall of Fame

Re: Madden 18 Longshot

Postby achernar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:19 pm

When a NFL game will be avaliable for another company?

Exclusivity
In 2004, EA signed an exclusive license through 2009 with the NFL and the NFLPI to give the company the exclusive rights to use the NFL's teams, stadia, and players in a video game.[67] This exclusive license prevents other official NFL video games. The deal, reportedly worth $300 million and later extended to 2013,[4] has been widely criticized. Some competitors, such as the Blitz: The League series, have elected to continue, seeking to distinguish themselves through innovative gameplay while others, such as the NFL 2K series, have ceased production. In 2007, 2K Sports released All Pro Football 2K8, which used former NFL stars.

Sponsor

Sponsor

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:11 pm

I don't think the exclusive license is as big a problem for us as the yearly release cycle.

EA has the wherewithal to deliver the product we want. They're the biggest baddest label on the block. The problem is, they won't invest the resources to get this game where it needs to be.

I don't know that a competitor would push them that far. How long will it take for the competition to build a football game like Madden? How long would it take for a great game to *truly* cut into Maddens market share? How long could they sustain if the game sold poorly the first 2 or 3 years? Unfortunately, it's just not as simple as 2k throwing their hat in the ring again.

.. what makes me most sad is, we.just.don't.matter. For every diehard that walks away, 2 or 3 teenagers jump on the wagon thanks to EAs marketing efforts. I can't think of another product like this. Something that was once good that turns to crap usually disappears. NOT MADDEN! It turns to crap and EVEN MORE people buy it. SMH!

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:37 pm

EA have a Monopoly with Madden...

You don't think 2k could made better if they're allowed?

I only play 2k NBA series since 2k9.. (the first year i discover him)

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:39 pm

achernar wrote:EA have a Monopoly with Madden...

I have little doubt that 2k could do better than EA Sports. But their baseball games were crap compared to Sony's The Show.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:59 pm

achernar wrote:EA have a Monopoly with Madden...

I think 2k would be great, but I think it would take some time. If they started building a game, today, would it be ready for 2018? Ready enough to legitimately have a punchers chance against EA? I'd like to say yes, but I think 2019 is a more realistic prospect. Which I have no problem with, I'd support the hell out of them, but would everyone else?

.. and I'm not 100% sure everything is exclusive now as it was in 2004. I highly doubt the NFLPA would object to having 2 suitors paying royalties instead of 1. What if both companies were paying the same license fee? Which is another reason why I think its a longshot somebody else jumps in. If you have to pay the same as EA, and your product sells half as much... well, a 4th grader could do that math.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:17 am

AaronS wrote: Which is another reason why I think its a longshot somebody else jumps in. If you have to pay the same as EA, and your product sells half as much... well, a 4th grader could do that math.

I just have to agreed...

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:49 pm

MVP 05 killed any 2k Sport Baseball game, by a lot. It's Madden and Live that can't seem to get it right. No guarantee a 2K Sports NFL game would be any better. But competition is good.
And who know if 2k would even want to. EA's NHL doesn't have exclusive rights, yet 2K hasn't put out a hockey game since 2011. (Well, they out out a mobile version, so maybe there is hope)
So the Giants traded Beckham....

Return to “General Discussion”