Draw/Render Distance for Max Quality Character Models

onyxsolo
Rookie

Postby onyxsolo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi,

This is my first post so I hope it isn't hitting on something with an active thread. I noticed Trey31's "Madden 3D Models Thread" but I think his goal is a bit more advanced than what I'm looking to do. Also, I have no modding experience so hopefully the way I'm explaining what I'm looking to do doesn't sound foolish.

As the title hints I'm looking to figure out if there's a way to modify the draw distance that character models are rendered using their maximum quality. I've attached a screen shot below of an example of what I'm looking to prevent. The photo shows the ref model switching resolutions as I cross whatever threshold that triggers it zooming in and out. You can also see some of the character models in the background like Raider player 61 using a noticeably lower resolution model.

Referee model render quality shifting.jpg
Ref Character model changing quality while zooming
Referee model render quality shifting.jpg (4.79 MiB) Viewed 729 times

As it's seeming looking through the files will be a lengthy process for someone with my limited knowledge I'd thought I'd query the experience here. Does any one know which madden file(s) control something like the distance at which the character model resolutions are swapped out? I've played games in the past where it was built into options/settings; but, I didn't see anything simple like that in the madden.ini or settings.db file. I'm crossing my fingers for something simpler than having to edit models individually if that's even possible To this point I've done the basics someone with my limited experience can do which has only been looking through most of the files for ones with interesting titles.

Sponsor

Sponsor

trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: Draw/Render Distance for Max Quality Character Models

Postby trey31 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:18 am

Just saw this for the first time. There is a draw distance issue for sure. Not sure how to fix it. You might be able to use StingRay68's MoRE app to duplicate the higher resolution model (close-up model) and use it to overwrite the other models info (further away models).
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

ChalupaBatman
Veteran

Re: Draw/Render Distance for Max Quality Character Models

Postby ChalupaBatman » Wed May 31, 2017 1:37 pm

It's a LOD (level of detail) issue. LOD is what determines what mesh is used at what distance. What Trey suggested above may be the only way to deal with it. There is an off chance that there are LOD settings buried somewhere (no clue where though) that could be found and edited. If so, then you could just change the distance setting. There's also some mipmapping going on too (switching out higher res textures for lower res versions at a certain distance from the camera), such as on the ref's face... but it could be tied to the LOD settings. If so, then solving the LOD issue would in turn solve the mipmap issue. If not, then you'd need to either find the mipmap settings, or address it with texmod or a dat file.

Not sure any of that helps you, but that's all I got lol.
Bear Down.

Return to “General Discussion”