Madden 3D Models Thread

mee
Hall of Fame

Re: Madden 3D Models Thread

Postby mee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:50 pm

trey31 wrote:Do you mean the model and/or texture renders differently based on the graphic settings Low, Medium, High? Or based on screen resolution or something? Or that there are 4 different models/textures based on draw distance from the render camera?

Also to update, I didn't have hardly any time to work on this today. Maybe not much time tomorrow either. Hopefully I'll be able to spend the better part of Tuesday on this.

There are 4 models for graphic setting HIGH. I guess that means 12 in total.
So the Giants traded Beckham....

Sponsor

Sponsor

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:38 pm

StingRay68 wrote:I think you guys are going about this the wrong way in trying to find something to make sense of the tmdl files.
Tmdl files are basically containers for direct3d vertex data (and sometimes textures as well)
much like mmap files are containers for graphics/textures data. I doubt there is a commercial program available
that will read in a model from a tmdl file, just as there isn't a program like photoshop that will read a mmap file.

You're much more likely to have success trying to find something like texmod, only that works with models
If you google "extract direct3d model from memory" there are several links there that might help, in particular something
called "ninja ripper" looked interesting

I agree with everything StingRay68 said in the first part of this ^ post. Tmdl is an EA specific filename extension. We're not going to find any programs that will open .tmdl files, render them as objects/models, and allow us to edit and save them.

As far as the second part, the only thing I've come across that is "like TexMod, but works with models" is uMod. I haven't researched much into it though because I believe the .obj files that get ripped from DirectX don't match the game file's vertex data, due to the method of the "rip" which takes everything that is rendered, then makes new files (.obj/.3dr) out of that data. What it doesn't do is rip just one object/model, which is what would be needed in order to extract, edit, then inject it.

However, I still think I can extract the vertex data and build .obj files out of that data. If so, I should be able to then edit and save that .obj data, then take the vertex data out of the saved .obj file and overwrite that same data in the tmdl file. (the hitch here is that I'm not sure what happens if the file size is different? If it crashes the game, then the only real option is to modify the vertex data that is already there without adding additional data, to maintain file size, otherwise adding more vertex data than was originally present will always result in larger file sizes. No way around that, so let's hope it doesn't have to be the same file size.)

In order to do this, I need pretty much every file in the PLADATA.dat, plyrface.dat, and UNIFORMS.dat to be extracted and decompressed, so I can make sense of them. At the very least, all of the .tmdl and .uni and .ea3 files.

In order to do that, I watched this:

mee wrote:To uncompress it we watch this excellent video by elguopo and follow his instructions.

The issue I've had since, is that I cannot replicate elguapo's steps to decompress the files. On windows 10 anniv update, with ShutUp 10 installed, nothing happens. EDIT: see next post.

So... I'm wondering if anyone has, perhaps in the past, extracted and decompressed all the files in those .dat's above?

If so, that would save me from trying to track down a computer that doesn't have W10 installed (I have 4 computers, you'd think I'd have been smart enough to not upgrade them all, but I was so excited to get rid of W8... :roll: again, yet another reason everyone should have a cheap PC with XP and W7 installed as a dual-boot)

mee wrote:File 2 is indeed the face model. Placed a Null file in and..
Doing so for file 3 lead to a crash.
BelieverInTeal wrote:All stadiums have ea3 files. In fact, I can confirm that even stadiums from NCAA Football have them.

What about Madden Xbox stadiums? Maybe we can change the smf heading with a TMdl heading but keep the EA3?
Also do the newer games have better player models? And do they have EA3s? Or dat files?

In regards to this, which I think I previously commented on about it having some vertex data, I now think it's possible that file contains texture/material data for the 3D face model/object, with some vertex data that tells DirectX where to align the texture to the object. Like a material file does with an .obj file... When replaced with a null file, it's possible that the model is still being rendered, but the lack of texture data has made it render without a texture. Sort of like a transparent texture being loaded onto a 3D object/model. It would look like its not there, even if the model is.

Just a theory at this point though.

Anyway, to RECAP:

I still need decompressed files and unless someone else already has it, or wants to get it, I'm going to have to wait until I can track down a non-W10 pc, since mine either crashes the OS or closes the mainapp.exe
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:37 pm

trey31 wrote:The issue I've had since, is that I cannot replicate elguapo's steps to decompress the files. On windows 10 anniv update, with ShutUp 10 installed, nothing happens.

Ok so, following the instructions exactly (and not using just any random file), I replaced my file extracted from LOADDATA.dat named "00002-LOADDATA.dat.File00002.copy001" (elguapo's video showed this same file named: "00002-LOADDATA.dat.File00002.UNI" however mine does not add .UNI to the end of the filename, it adds ".copy001")

I put that file into UNIFORMS.dat, made sure to add the size "2281227" and replaced file #252 (no zero-based because his wasn't) in UNIFORMS.dat. The part that confuses me is that elguapo's UNIFORM.dat only has 252 files in it, all(most?) of them compressed: False and 0 data and Null file types. Mine has more files and everything is compressed: TRUE and they mostly have data.

So I follow the rest of the directions, replace the file, save the .dat, load the game (I'm not using Generic Mod Enabler)... Game crashes. But it is taking up the entire screen and won't let me get to any of the utilities. I used Alt+Tab to switch applications and hit enter. Nothing shows on screen. After, all I get with Playbook ripper is " Madden is not running: Ok" I can't get to MUER at all so I can't use it.

Suggestions?
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:17 pm

trey31 wrote:So I follow the rest of the directions, replace the file, save the .dat, load the game (I'm not using Generic Mod Enabler)... Game crashes. But it is taking up the entire screen and won't let me get to any of the utilities. I used Alt+Tab to switch applications and hit enter. Nothing shows on screen. After, all I get with Playbook ripper is " Madden is not running: Ok" I can't get to MUER at all so I can't use it.

Suggestions?

Download his uniforms.dat.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:37 am

ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:I've been trying to make/find a dump of Madden 17 for a few weeks now.

http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19437

PM me if you want to explore 17.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 am

^ Binary Viewer. It's a binary/HEX viewer/editor app that has a visualizer built-in. See the helmet ear holes? Interesting.

^ 00000-UIS_LIB_GAMEMODEL.dat.File00000.tmdl open in StingRay68's MoRE app.

You are looking at helmet geometry data for 3D models.

None of the files in GAMEMODEL.dat are compressed. Since I still can't use either decompress method on my PC, this is all I have to work with atm.

Who wants to decompress me some .dat files so I can dig through some more with MoRE???

StingRay68
Hall of Fame

Postby StingRay68 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:27 am

Try this version of muer, I recompiled with .net 462 (no promises that its going to work though)
muer152-10.zip
(294.84 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:16 pm

StingRay68 wrote:Try this version of muer, I recompiled with .net 462 (no promises that its going to work though)
muer152-10.zip

Will do. I'll reply in a bit.

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:52 pm

trey31 wrote:Who wants to decompress me some .dat files so I can dig through some more with MoRE???

You have any specific file in mind?

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:51 pm

mee wrote:
trey31 wrote:Who wants to decompress me some .dat files so I can dig through some more with MoRE???

You have any specific file in mind?

No clue which specific file. Wherever the player models are lol.

In PLADATA.dat the only tmdl files I see (according to 1st 15 bytes in DFR4) aren't compressed. But I read in one of the other threads some of the decompressed files from PLADATA.dat are tmdl files too?

Here's some data from the non-compressed tmdl files:

Code: Select all

zero-based arrays
File00303 SidelineCrowd500.ea3 (Length: 145600, Pad: 16, Shapes: 12)
File00304 SidelineCrowd200.ea3 (Length: 84320, Pad: 16, Shapes: 12)
File00305 SidelineCrowd100.ea3 (Length: 43296, Pad: 16, Shapes: 12)
File00306 SidelineCrowd50.ea3 (Length: 12704, Pad: 16, Shapes: 12)

File00309 SidelineCrowdLocators.ea3 (Length: 1668, Pad: 16, Shapes: 0)

File00310 SidelinePlayer_800.ea3 (Length: 305184, Pad: 16, Shapes: 22)
File00311 SidelinePlayer_300.ea3 (Length: 238656, Pad: 16, Shapes: 18)
File00312 SidelinePlayer_100.ea3 (Length: 70592, Pad: 16, Shapes: 17)
File00313 SidelinePlayer_50.ea3 (Length: 25120, Pad: 16, Shapes: 12)

File00316 Lombardi500.ea3 ~ No errors. 1 Shape. No Extn. 1 Material (trophy_ref_map/onepass/file4). Lots of Geometry.

File00318 gatoradeBucket.ea3 ~ No errors. 1 Shape. No Extn. 1 Material (gatorade/onepass/file1). Lots of Geometry.

File00320 DryEraseBoard.ea3 ~ No errors. 1 Shape. No Extn. 1 Material (dryerase/onepass/texturedryerase). Lots of Geometry.

File00322 Helmet_Tunnel.ea3 ~ No errors. 9 shapes. No Extn. 5 materials. Lots of Geometry.

File00324 Flag.ea3 ~ No errors. 2 shapes. No Extn. 3 materials. Lots of Geometry.

303 through 313 all open with "EndOfStreamException > Unhandled exception... Index was out of range." errors, at least for me. I saved the report in a text file in case it might help StingRay68.

In regards to UIS_LIB_GAMEMODEL.dat I posted about earlier, I edited a bunch of geometry data in MoRE just a bit ago and repacked it to test (in hopes of seeing some whacked out geometry), no noticeable changes. So I tried again and skewed the data even further. Nothing. So then I just removed UIS_LIB_GAMEMODEL.dat entirely from the game folder... Played an entire first quarter without issues or crashes without the entire file. So...

Also, that UIS_LIB_GAMEMODEL.dat has a "Madden NFL 2002" image in one of the files, seen with Binary Viewer's Visualizer. So it may be an unused legacy file that literally does nothing in-game? Which would be dumb to include it...

I'm going to use the new MUER to attempt to decompress on mine again tonight. Thanks StingRay68 btw.

Return to “General Discussion”