What attributes or skills to look for while drafting, free agency?

adoreizi
Pro Bowl

Postby adoreizi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:10 pm

I’d like to hone in my acquisition GM skills. I know speed is an attribute that never increases and only decreases with age so it is very critical to sign players with good speed. Couple questions:

Is there anything else I should watch out for?

Should I disregard Overall and focus on specific attributes?

Are there some attributes for positions that are highly desirable? Like CB must have High AWR?

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: What attributes or skills to look for while drafting, free agency?

Postby jose21crisis » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:52 pm

When I get players in FA, I generally go by individual attributes because I'm looking for players that can play a specific role. So if I find a 75 OVR, 95 STR DE, I'll sign him over a 85 OVR, 80 STR DE (Mostly because 3-4 DEs have to be power rushers and run stoppers). In the draft, I look for athleticism (Speed, Acceleration and Agility) or skill (Strength, Catching, Break Tackles, Tackling, depending on the position) and ignore Awareness. That one comes with time, the other skills take a while longer. Here's what I would value the most per position:
  • QB: AWR (From experience, this has a slight effect on accuracy. Also, since I play with the QB Vision Cone ON, high Awareness is useful). THP, THA. SPD and CAR can be factors if the QB isn't exactly a highly accurate guy. When drafting a guy, THP and at least decent AWR/THA are a must.
  • HB: Really depends on what scheme I'm rolling and what backs I have on my roster, but I generally split them by: Elusive (AGI, ACC, AWR, SPD, CTH, CAR) and Power (BTK, CAR, AWR) Backs. If they have 70+ STR and 50+ PBK, that gives them a bonus, since they can pickup blitzes. 70+ CTH is also good.
  • FB: I usually don't much care for FBs. When I do get one, they must have solid RBK and STR OR solid CTH. Either they are solid lead blockers, or they are solid receiving backs. Or both.
  • WR: I usually have one or two guys that are solid all around, and multiple situational/role players here. My #1 and #2 need solid athletic ability (88+ in SPD, AGI and ACC, preferably more) and great CTH (92+) and AWR (92+). JMP is up for grabs with these guys, although it helps. Same with CAR and BTK. Since I tend to have 6 WRs in my roster, I have at least 2 slot receivers (High AGI kind of guys with high ACC too for good measure, usually one of my top 2 receivers can play in the slot, and tends to do), at least a tall, Red Zone receiver (90+ JMP, 6'2'' or more. AGI is not too important as they usually line up on the outside) and 1 or 2 chains moving possession receiver (Can be both of my top 2 receivers or my slot receiver). The 6th guy is a backup that could develop into a decent or good starter, or an amazing returner. Sheer Athleticism or sheer skill and awareness are the driving factors when it comes to drafting.
  • TE: I look for Possession TEs so SPD isn't a big deal. JMP is, as it is CTH. My #1 and #2 TEs must be solid receivers on their own, with some ability to block. The #3 either needs solid CTH as well, or preferably great RBK and STR.
  • OT: The top factors for LT are PBK, STR, RBK, AWR. For RT the order is RBK, STR, PBK, AWR. SPD doesn't apply to them unless you want them to pull somehow. There are playbooks that have plays with pulling tackles. ACC and AGI help a bit, the first with getting push at the line, the other at dealing with speed rushers. For draftees, I focus on STR and at least decent PBK/RBK.
  • G: I focus on STR, RBK, PBK, AWR, SPD, ACC. SPD does play a part here as they do pull. ACC once again helps getting push at the line, AGI helps with twists, as does AWR. On draftees I focus on STR once again.
  • C: For them I focus on STR, AWR, PBK, RBK. Unless you have a playbook where the C pulls, SPD is irrelevant. ACC helps at the line, AGI ... in their case it doesn't help much. AWR helps with blocking extra rushers. The same tip for draftees as the other linemen.
  • DE: If I run a 3-4, I want STR (Think 90+), AWR and TAK for my DEs. In a 4-3, it depends. For my LE, I want STR (80+ does the trick here), AWR and TAK, with decent AGI and ACC. For my RE, I want AGI, ACC, SPD (For these 3, high 70s to low 80s does the trick), AWR, TAK. LEs are run stoppers, REs are speed rushers.
  • DT: In the 3-4 you want a massive guy with STR (94+) and TAK, along with AWR. For a 4-3 you can slack a bit in STR (Still try for 90+, although the high 80s do the trick) for some AGI and ACC (High 50s to low 60s is good enough for DTs).
  • MLB: I run with at least 4 MLBs in my roster (When I use the 3-4 that is). The first two need to distinguish themselves with solid AWR, solid TAK (80+ in both) and decent athleticism. The 3rd must be like the first 2, just with less AWR. The 4th must be a highly athletic guy, as he is the pass coverage LB. TAK and AWR isn't as important with this guy, he just needs to keep up with HBs and TEs.
  • OLB: In a 3-4, both OLBs need to fit the mold a 4-3 RE would fit. That is, high SPD, AGI, ACC (in the 80s range), TAK and AWR. STR can be useful for run stopping. In a 4-3, both OLBs would be similar to the MLB, but they can lose some TAK in exchange for athleticism.
  • CB: This depends on what kind of coverage you run the most. If you prefer Zone, then you should prioritize AGI, ACC, SPD and AWR. If you prefer Man, you prioritize AWR, SPD, ACC, AGI. CTH is always useful, as is TAK.
  • S: For safeties, I usually prefer a more athletic, rangier guy at FS (So SPD, AGI, ACC, AWR, TAK) and box safety at SS (TAK, ACC, AWR, AGI, SPD). Usually, I want my safeties to serve in Big Nickel and Big Dime sets (3 Safeties sets), so I have 1 or 2 guys that can play FS reliably.
  • K and P: Your first priority should be KPW, followed by AWR and THEN KAC. Low Awareness has a serious effect on kicking ability, specially on CPU controlled kickers. On User controlled kickers, the accuracy meter is tougher to hit (It is smaller and it moves faster, specially on pressure kicks). On CPU controlled kickers, they'll outright miss more.
Who Dares Wins

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Something else I'd recommend. If you have a rookie player that you want to develop into a star (Let's say, a CB), try to get a veteran with the Team Mentor or Team Leader role. Those roles give a small boost to the AWR of every young player in the offseason, and also increase the AWR of said youngsters in games. Even if they don't play.

Also, try to get a coach with a high rating at that position. That makes that position group play better. So a D. Coach with a high DB rating will make your CBs play better, which means more progression for them.
Who Dares Wins

Theov
All-Pro

Postby Theov » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Player attributes (assuming you play yourself, and not let the ai play or sim) in order of importance:<br>

OFFENSE

QB:
THP and SPD. THA is overrated and can be increased.
AWR is nice when you play with the cone ON but this increases over time too.

HB. SPD, AGI and BTK.
CTH and CAR are important too. AWR is not important.

FB. Either STR and RBK (for a blocking FB) or SPD and CTH for a receiving FB. A converted HB with speed is a matchup nightmare.

TE. See WR. Sub your TE out for linemen when running.

WR. SPD and CTH.
AGI is a nice to have. Jumping and ACC are nice but not needed if they are fast enough.

OLine. STR, AGI. PBK is secondary. RBK and ACC after that. SPD is nice for pulling guards. I never saw AWR have much effect in linemen.

Theov
All-Pro

Postby Theov » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:39 pm

DEFENSE:

CBs (and FS and SS for that matter): SPD, ACC, AGI -> then CTH and TAK. AWR is nice if you play a lot of zone, but AWR grows over time, so other attributes are more important.

Off Ball Linebackers: SPD, ACC, TAK. STR is nice against blocks. AGI is nice to have but not the biggest thing to look for.

DLINE: STR, ACC. Then TAK and AGI. I always look for 3 or 4 high-STR guys, 90+ and plug the middle. The rest of the team has to swarm around behind it.

Kickers and punters are not important. You should have one guy with a lot of KPW for kickoffs. Other than that you should never kick or punt a ball.

Return to “General Discussion”