preventing long passes in CPU vs CPU?

kkende112233
All-Pro

Postby kkende112233 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Im getting very realistic stats and everythings going great in my franchise (CPU vs CPU and no simulated games) just there is waaaaaay too many long passes there is practically a 70+ yard td every game. and after 2 weeks in the league leaders there is a huge list of players with over 50+ yard touchdowns or even 70+ yard. I am seeing 2 problems that are causing is.

1st is when its man to man coverage with no help the defender often goes into a poor animation giving him no chance of reaching the ball. he will have perfect coverage running stride for stride with the receiver but when the ball gets there he will go into a slow catch and miss the ball over his head while the receiver catches it in stride and runs for easy touchdown. there is also times where he will be strafing and just not even do any animation as the ball goes over his head.

2nd is the defensive playcalling is very bad a lot of times no safety help at all, all out blitzes, and easy big plays. sometimes in 2 minute drill they will leave the deep ball wide open for some reason.

from my experience so far tinkering around with things I dont think this is something in-game sliders or ratings can fix, defenders just seem to play the ball very poorly, or at least very inconsistently on deep balls - regardless of ratings. and the play calling on defense doesnt help at all.

heres my question, what can I do to fix this? does altering the coach defensive aggressiveness change the CPU playcalling? is there a way to make the CPU call more defensive plays that provide better coverage against the deep ball? are there certain playbooks that do better against the deep pass? those are the only things left I can think of. are there any settings I can change to make the deep balls less common or less successful? any help would be appreciated. heres the sliders I've been using viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19486

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
MVP

Re: preventing long passes in CPU vs CPU?

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:19 pm

kkende112233 wrote:Im getting very realistic stats and everythings going great in my franchise (CPU vs CPU and no simulated games) just there is waaaaaay too many long passes there is practically a 70+ yard td every game. and after 2 weeks in the league leaders there is a huge list of players with over 50+ yard touchdowns or even 70+ yard. I am seeing 2 problems that are causing is.

1st is when its man to man coverage the defender often goes into a poor animation giving him no chance of reaching the ball. he will have perfect coverage running stride for stride with the receiver but when the ball gets there he will go into a slow catch and miss the ball over his head while the receiver catches it in stride and runs for easy touchdown. there is also times where he will be strafing and just not even do any animation as the ball goes over his head.

2nd is the defensive playcalling is very bad a lot of times no safety help at all, all out blitzes, and easy big plays. sometimes in 2 minute drill they will leave the deep ball wide open for some reason.

from my experience so far tinkering around with things I dont think this is something in-game sliders or ratings can fix, defenders just seem to play the ball very poorly, or at least very inconsistently on deep balls - regardless of ratings. and the play calling on defense doesnt help at all.

heres my question, what can I do to fix this? does altering the coach defensive aggressiveness change the CPU playcalling? is there a way to make the CPU call more defensive plays that provide better coverage against the deep ball? are there certain playbooks that do better against the deep pass? those are the only things left I can think of. are there any settings I can change to make the deep balls less common or less successful? any help would be appreciated. heres the sliders I've been using viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19486

You can do 3 things. First, lower QB Accuracy. Set it to about 35-40. The problem is that this will limit QBs to a max range of about 20-30 yards as max for a pass. I like it at 50 because it limits bombs.

Next, increase Defensive Awareness and Knockdowns. Awareness will make them be closer to the receiver while knockdowns will make it more likely to swat the football. I play D Awareness as 40 for my guys and 48 for the CPU, so you should use 48. As for Knockdowns, is your call. I use 17, but you could try something as high as 99 if you need to.

Finally, you can lower Defensive Pass Interference, which will make the Defense more likely to make a play for the ball since they are less scared about triggering the penalty. I use it at 35.

Additionally, you could try using CMP61's Coach adjustments in NZA's Editor. This should lower the amount of blitzes the CPU uses.

jose21crisis
MVP

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Something worth noting. The problem with the deep passes is not that the QB has the arm to get it there. Is that he has the accuracy to put the ball there. I often see (IRL) deep passes that simply have way too much air and the receiver can't make the catch. It also happens the same to me if I use QB Accuracy at 65 and Pass Lead the receiver running a streak 50 yards down the field. The pass lead + lob + excessive throw power = overthrow. Of course, I don't see the CPU doing that.

kkende112233
All-Pro

Postby kkende112233 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 pm

jose21crisis wrote:You can do 3 things. First, lower QB Accuracy. Set it to about 35-40. The problem is that this will limit QBs to a max range of about 20-30 yards as max for a pass. I like it at 50 because it limits bombs.

Next, increase Defensive Awareness and Knockdowns. Awareness will make them be closer to the receiver while knockdowns will make it more likely to swat the football. I play D Awareness as 40 for my guys and 48 for the CPU, so you should use 48. As for Knockdowns, is your call. I use 17, but you could try something as high as 99 if you need to.

Finally, you can lower Defensive Pass Interference, which will make the Defense more likely to make a play for the ball since they are less scared about triggering the penalty. I use it at 35.

Additionally, you could try using CMP61's Coach adjustments in NZA's Editor. This should lower the amount of blitzes the CPU uses.

thanks for the fast reply

the slider set im using which I linked in the post has QB accuracy at 50, maybe Ill try 35-40. that might work. as for the rest,

1) I'll give awareness and knockdowns a try. I'm worried to mess with awareness though because I love where the running game and short passing game is at, and I dont want to ruin that to make the deep balls more realistic. and I thought knockdowns was only 'defensive lineman knockdowns'? does it work for defensive backs too?

2) I've been trying pass interference at 0 all day today and still no luck with reducing the long passes. it doesn't really have an effect on deep passes since the problem is not the defenders willingness to make a play for the ball, its that the play they make is just very poor and they miss the ball all the time (and the animation prevents them from stopping the receiver who catches it in stride).

3) those coach adjustments are for improving sim stats, or at least thats what it says. i dont sim games so i dont see why I'd use them. the NZA franchise guide even says that he thinks they dont effect gameplay. but you are sure that those adjustments lower CPU blitzes? which one of the adjustments effects it? I really dont want to mess with coaching adjustments unless I know what I'm dealing with.

jose21crisis
MVP

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:46 pm

kkende112233 wrote:1) I'll give awareness and knockdowns a try. I'm worried to mess with awareness though because I love where the running game and short passing game is at, and I dont want to ruin that to make the deep balls more realistic. and I thought knockdowns was only 'defensive lineman knockdowns'? does it work for defensive backs too?

This is for pass defense. If you set Knockdowns at 99 and Interceptions at 10, you will see DBs trying to swat down the ball a lot. Just try raising Knockdowns and see how it goes.

kkende112233 wrote:2) I've been trying pass interference at 0 all day today and still no luck with reducing the long passes. it doesn't really have an effect on deep passes since the problem is not the defenders willingness to make a play for the ball, its that the play they make is just very poor and they miss the ball all the time (and the animation prevents them from stopping the receiver who catches it in stride).

Well, I guess the effect of this slider is not as important as in Madden NFL 12. Anyway. What controls how effective is the Knockdown, is the respective slider and the pass itself. One of my custom plays is a goalline fade. If I give the pass the correct touch, the receiver will start a catching animation before the defender will start a swat down. And that is a catch 90% of the time (At times the receiver gets a hit stick to the face and drops the ball). With high Knockdowns I've seen defenders jump really high to knock down the ball ... if they can make the play that is.

kkende112233 wrote:3) those coach adjustments are for improving sim stats, or at least thats what it says. i dont sim games so i dont see why I'd use them. but you are sure that those adjustments lower CPU blitzes? which one of the adjustments effects it? I really dont want to mess with coaching adjustments unless I know what I'm dealing with.

I've once read that this also affects playcalling, specifically Defensive Aggressiveness and Offensive Aggressivenes. D Agressiveness alters how likely is the coach to call for aggressive plays, such as blitzes. Higher = more blitz. O Agressiveness alters the likehood to call for short/long plays. Higher = shorter passes.

kkende112233
All-Pro

Postby kkende112233 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 pm

jose21crisis wrote:..

Wow thank you! A lot of very helpful stuff!

Return to “General Discussion”