What controller should I get?

EdgeForce141
All-Pro

Re: What controller should I get?

Postby EdgeForce141 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Oh well it be okay for me because I have muscle memory. It would be mostly for my friend. Thanks for the quick reply!

Sponsor

Sponsor

EdgeForce141
All-Pro

Postby EdgeForce141 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Gridiron wrote:
EdgeForce141 wrote:Another question. I have a buddy who has a PS3. He wants to play me in PC Madden, so with that being said I already have a wired Xbox 360 controller. Could he plug in his PS3 controller into my computer with the USB cable used to plug them into the PS3 console, and do the Motioninjoy thing?
Would the Texmod packages work with two players, so that he could have ps3 icons and I could keep my Xbox 360 icons?
No, that would not work out.
The MiJ driver allows PS3 controllers to be seen as XBOX 360 controllers.
Loading the TexMod package to convert the XBOX icons to PS icons, would also change yours.

And I forgot to mention it is a genuine Sony PS3 controller.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:58 am

Check out this analysis: Why the Wii U might be set up for failure

"Here’s the thing: Xbox and PlayStation gamers — the hardcore guys Nintendo wants playing the Wii U — have put in countless hours into twitchy, non-casual games, even before the current generation, dating back to the PS1 days. Call of Duty. Halo. Uncharted. Battlefield. Killzone. Gears of War. BioShock. They don’t have to be all shooters, either. Madden. Assassin’s Creed. Grand Theft Auto. Splinter Cell. Street Fighter. Soul Calibur.

See what I’m getting at? Imagine the collective time invested in all those games. Countless thumbs pressing the correct buttons without players even having to look at them. That’s years of hand-eye coordination burned into our brains and hands.

Anyone who’s spent an extended amount of time on any Xbox or PlayStation system — and that’s a helluva lot of people — will have a hard time adjusting to either Wii U controller. How many gamers will want to take their right thumb off the analog stick and instinctively move it to a far-too-familiar (but no longer there) spot to hit the reload button in Call of Duty? To pass to the wideout in Madden? To throw a haymaker in Batman: Arkham City? “It’s not impossible to relearn,” says writer Rus McLaughlin, who, amongst the GamesBeat staff, has spent the most time on the Wii U so far. “But it is opposite of what your muscle memory is used to.”

In a gamer’s world, a split-second delay can mean an empty gun clip while facing down an enemy, an interception in the Super Bowl, or an embarrassing whiff in a fistfight. The Wii U will have a lot of those moments as it forces players to rewire their gaming instincts and to look down at their controllers once in a while to see what they’re supposed to press. How many Call of Duty players are going to say, “Fu*k this” when they miss a critical reload and return to shooting on their Xbox 360s or PlayStation 3s?
"

They finally got it right with the Wii... then apparently moved on.
Perhaps Nintendo should have stopped moving the analogs?
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:29 pm

I call this one the WHYSTICK.

Most dual analog controllers already have a dozen buttons, so a twelve button controller is nothing new.
However, it looks as if they removed the SELECT and START buttons. :o

I was thinking about making some .tpfs for generic PC USB dual analog controllers,
so when the buttons are remapped within MADDEN to the normal PS/XBOX/Logitech positions
the menu graphics would match the remapping and the game wold make sense.

Unfortunately the game stopper is that the right analog is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise on those generic PC gamepads,
and that affects too many game inputs.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Gadzooks!!!
Look at the button layout on the Sega Dreamcast Controller!

Has Microsoft actually ever invented anything? :?: ! :!: :roll:

gamermisfitz1
Rookie

Postby gamermisfitz1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:19 pm

I want to play this game with gamepad as well and i would like to ask if Speedlink gamepad Strike FX , works good with the game or nope? thanks in advance

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Interpreting what I see at Amazon.com concerning your Strike FX gamepad,
keeping in mind what has been posted earlier this thread,
I'd think not without also installing the MiJ driver utility and hope that the unit is supported.

Anyway, you can get four of the wired non-rumble PS3/PC gamepads for that price.

GoEagles614
Rookie

Postby GoEagles614 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:45 pm

XBOX 360 WIRED CONTROLLER from Microsoft works perfectly.

Nocturne
Rookie

Postby Nocturne » Mon May 19, 2014 6:19 pm

I just wrote this long detailed post, and to be careful I hit "save to draft" - and it all vanished. When I hit load draft my entire message was gone. I'm going to try once more, but it won't be as pretty. I'm chronically ill and in a lot of pain, and in real need of a fun way to pass time. I played one of the first Maddens many years ago and really loved it, so I bought Madden 08 for PC because it got 4 stars and was in my price range. I've tried really hard to follow the discussion here, but feel lost. I know Madden won't work for me with keyboard and mouse - it's frustrating as h*** to even try. Just pressing a keyboard button at the same time as a mouse button kicks me out of Madden completely. So I guess I need a controller, but know nothing about them.

I think I've learned: 1. The controllers Madden was built for are gone. 2. The replacement is logically the Logitech F310 - but it seems you guys found it won't let you do anything diagonally at full speed, right? (Does this hold true for Win 7 Pro 64 bit as well, or could it just be XP?) The discussion seems to say the answer is doing a lot of software/registry type things to make a PS3 controller work. I saw something about the Snakebyte controller here, but it got terrible reviews online. And honestly, the 16 step instructions I found here to make these controllers work right is extremely intimidating - I have no idea what Motion in Joy is or what offline patches are being referred to. And it sounds like you have to set the PS3 controller up every time you want to play Madden if your controller gets unplugged. Is the point of the 16 steps to make the buttons on the controller match the Madden controls? Because it talks about setting it to emulate an Xbox controller - and I thought I read here the Xbox controllers had the vertical and horizontal axis mixed up, or something like that. I'm just very confused.

What is the best thing to do for a game novice to get Madden 08 working properly? The simplest affordable controller that won't break in a week that an intermediate computer user could get working? The last post seems to be over a year ago, maybe something has changed - or has everybody given up on PC Madden? Amazon has the F310 for about $25. I can get a Pro EX Controller for PS3 for a little less, and it has pretty good reviews (10 to 1 positive). (http://www.amazon.com/Pro-EX-Controller ... controller) Is that a controller I would have to follow the 16 steps with? Anyone have experience with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm glad someone (yes, EA, you SUCK) is trying to keep PC football alive - and many thanks to whoever is doing the newer rosters for Madden!!

THANK YOU!

Wes

Nocturne
Rookie

Postby Nocturne » Mon May 19, 2014 10:47 pm

GoEagles614 wrote:XBOX 360 WIRED CONTROLLER from Microsoft works perfectly.

For real? After looking through this forum I thought it would have to be a PS3 type deal . . . The Xbox controller can just be plugged in and everything works on Madden 08 PC without the Motion Joy software and registry edits?

Return to “FAQs”