What controller should I get?

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Re: What controller should I get?

Postby JSamuel » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:36 pm

About 5 years ago, I bought the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick for Windows for one of my favorite games, Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Here's a photo of the Joystick:

414X2Z0A7TL.jpg
414X2Z0A7TL.jpg (27.37 KiB) Viewed 8537 times

Usually I use my wired Xbox 360 controller for Madden, but one day I had this crazy idea: What if I tried to use my Joystick with Madden instead? I plugged it in and started a game. On the kickoff return, I realized how fun it was to control player movement. Everything was so responsive.

Then I scored a touchdown, and it came time to kick. And I couldn't freakin' do it. It doesn't have a right thumbstick, so I can't kick at all.

The game interprets that little thing-a-ma-bob on the top of the Joystick as the D-pad, and I don't even ever use the D-pad for Madden. Is there a way I could make the game think it's the right thumbstick instead?

Thanks.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Aurorans
Pro Bowl

Postby Aurorans » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi. I want to know which controller is better to use for Madden 08:

Logitech Dual Action
Logitech Rumblepad 2
Xbox 360 Controller For PC
Sony PS3 Controller
Knockoff PS3 Controller
Sony PS4 Controller
Knockoff PS4 Controller

Please list any additional drivers and/or programs you need to download in the Comments section. Also, list any Operating Systems and build releases that are not compatible. In addition, list any issues with connectivity. Finally, list any problems with programming certain buttons.

Ratings (1-10)
Controller Name:
OVERALL (1 = Worst, 10 = Best):
Extra Overall Comments:
Setup (1 = Most Steps, 10 = Fewest Steps):
Comments on Setup:
Compatibility (1 = Works with only 1 Operating System and few build/update releases, 10 = Works with every operating system and all build releases):
Comments on Compatibility:
Connectivity (1 = Does not respond to button press, 10 = Responds every single time):
Comments on Connectivity
Programmability (1 = No Programmability, 10 = All Buttons Programmable):
Comments on Programmability:
Denver Broncos - AFC West
Green Bay Packers - NFC North
New England Patriots - AFC East
Seattle Seahawks - NFC West
Pittsburg Steelers - AFC North
Dallas Cowboys - NFC East
Indianapolis Colts - AFC South
New Orleans Saints - NFC South

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Aurorans wrote:Please list any additional drivers and/or programs you need to download in the Comments section. Also, list any Operating Systems and build releases that are not compatible. In addition, list any issues with connectivity. Finally, list any problems with programming certain buttons.

That's a pretty hefty request...

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Aurorans wrote:Hi. I want to know which controller is better to use for Madden 08:

Logitech Dual Action
Logitech Rumblepad 2
Xbox 360 Controller For PC
Sony PS3 Controller
Knockoff PS3 Controller
Sony PS4 Controller
Knockoff PS4 Controller

Please list any additional drivers and/or programs you need to download in the Comments section. Also, list any Operating Systems and build releases that are not compatible. In addition, list any issues with connectivity. Finally, list any problems with programming certain buttons.

Ratings (1-10)
Controller Name:
OVERALL (1 = Worst, 10 = Best):
Extra Overall Comments:
Setup (1 = Most Steps, 10 = Fewest Steps):
Comments on Setup:
Compatibility (1 = Works with only 1 Operating System and few build/update releases, 10 = Works with every operating system and all build releases):
Comments on Compatibility:
Connectivity (1 = Does not respond to button press, 10 = Responds every single time):
Comments on Connectivity
Programmability (1 = No Programmability, 10 = All Buttons Programmable):
Comments on Programmability:

You must be kidding
Who in the world has the knowledge of all of these? Not to mention, the time to rate and comment on these.

I have one comment:
A wired, xbox 360 controller is the only controller I have used with 08pc....never had a problem

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:47 am

1312qohelet wrote:I have one comment:
A wired, xbox 360 controller is the only controller I have used with 08pc....never had a problem

Same here, I recommend it. You can buy one here:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired- ... ler+for+pc

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:49 am

I use a simple Logitech F310, works great for me.

tinpanalley
All-Pro

Postby tinpanalley » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Just reading through here because I've got a bit of a problem controller-wise.

I have the 360 wireless and it's working fine. Unfortunately, several other older sports titles I play want a direct-input controller to properly have access to several controls. So, I've gone and ordered a Logitech F710 because I need to have the wireless controller for the way I have my PC set up to play games (It's complicated and irrelevant so I won't go into it here unless someone wants to know for some reason).

I do remember that the 310 which I had years ago had that annoying problem that the analog sticks couldn't do a full 360 turn in a circle but rather in a squared off circle kind of move. Is that the case with the 710, does anyone know?

I'd love to just use the 360 controller and not have to buy another but like I said, in so many other old games, the 360 just causes problems with mapping and flat out ability to perform certain moves. Does anyone happen to know a way around this that doesn't involve completely screwing up my drivers and registry? Something that can maybe turn my X-input 360 controller temporarily into a direct-input controller when I need to and shut that off afterwards?

bobiedean118
Veteran

Postby bobiedean118 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:59 am

Last year I bought an XBOX One controller from Gamestop. It is there brand model and it appears on Madden and all other games as an XBPX controller. You dont have to make any adjustnents, just plug and play. It cost me less than $25 and works fine.

tinpanalley
All-Pro

Postby tinpanalley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:02 pm

bobiedean118 wrote:Last year I bought an XBOX One controller from Gamestop. It is there brand model and it appears on Madden and all other games as an XBPX controller. You dont have to make any adjustnents, just plug and play. It cost me less than $25 and works fine.

I just researched on the specs of the XBOXOne Controller. It's X-input just like the 360. Even the technical info from Microsoft says this. So I'm sure it's playing fine for you, but Madden 08 isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about older games that only took Direct-Input controllers.

TriHard
Veteran

Postby TriHard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:16 pm

tinpanalley wrote:
bobiedean118 wrote:Last year I bought an XBOX One controller from Gamestop. It is there brand model and it appears on Madden and all other games as an XBPX controller. You dont have to make any adjustnents, just plug and play. It cost me less than $25 and works fine.

I just researched on the specs of the XBOXOne Controller. It's X-input just like the 360. Even the technical info from Microsoft says this. So I'm sure it's playing fine for you, but Madden 08 isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about older games that only took Direct-Input controllers.

What you can do is use Steam, add the game as a non-Steam game on Steam, then remap the layout.

Return to “FAQs”