What controller should I get?

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:24 pm

Because North American football is a rather complicated game compared to say South American football (soccer), the MADDEN NFL simulator is very complex and it has somewhat of an intimidating learning curve. One really has to want to play a football simulator to learn all of the intricacies of MADDEN. Once you make the decision to learn MADDEN on the PC, you will in short order be confronted with an important decision:

KEYBOARD, KEYBOARD & MOUSE, or GAMEPAD?

If you compare the gamepad controls versus the keyboard controls listed in the user manual, then you'll see the gamepad has a bit less to memorize, and is perhaps a bit more intuitive. Since the vast number of games played of MADDEN are played on consoles, I'll bet that most people would be comfortable with using the gamepad controller. Also, if you want to play with another person console style, then at least one of you will have to use a gamepad controller.

Although a good gamepad or two is a significant expense, an important consideration for the many of us who are unemployed, if one is going to pursue this MADDEN hobby, then one should do it right.

Five years ago the game engine used in the modded versions of MADDEN was designed to be played with certain popular (at the time) dual analog stick gamepad controllers.

The Original MADDEN NFL Compatible PC Controller (Recommended) List
* Logitech Dual Action
* Logitech Rumble Pad 2
* Gravis Eliminator Aftershock
* Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Analog Gamepad
* Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power 3
* Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Analog 3
* Thrustmaster Firestorm Wireless controller
* Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

Within the MADDEN NFL 2004 PC documentation, the Logitech Dual Action was the reference model gamepad. It was an excellent choice in its time. I still use mine. Five years is a long time in computer terms and the controller market has changed. For the most part these recommended controllers are no longer available in retail stores.

A good thing about playing MADDEN over the years on the various systems is that the game has tended to keep the play controls in the same location.

Logitech Dual Action
New-1.png
New-1.png (129.5 KiB) Viewed 27253 times

Sony Playstation
New-2.png
New-2.png (90.73 KiB) Viewed 27253 times

Microsoft XBOX
New-3.png
New-3.png (83.52 KiB) Viewed 27253 times

As you can see most of the major game console system controllers are quite similar in form (except for Nintendo's who always tries to be the leader in controller innovation), and MADDEN takes advantage of this in their standard button layouts.

For example to call for a 'Fair Catch', the button to press is 4 on the PC, Δ on the Playstation, and Y on the XBOX. Similarly, to snap the football on the various systems is accomplished by pressing the lowermost button in the diamond. 2 on the PC, X on the Playstation, and A on the XBOX. This is a good thing because avid gamers develop what is known as muscle memory and will be reluctant to play with other gamepad configurations.

Muscle memory is defined as a form of procedural memory that involves consolidating a specific motor task into memory through repetition. When a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort. This process decreases the need for attention and creates maximum efficiency within the motor and memory systems. Examples of muscle memory are found in many everyday activities that become automatic and improve with practice, such as riding a bicycle, typing on a keyboard, typing in a PIN, playing a melody or phrase on a musical instrument, and playing video games.

Fortunately, we can still buy a modern controller which combines the best of a lot of things, including button layout compatibility with MADDEN on the PC. Logitech makes three models which fit the bill, depending on your wants and needs, and all are widely available.

Currently the logical choice for playing MADDEN FF/FI 13 is the Logitech Gamepad F310. MSRP $24.99 http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/7360

----------------------------------- update February 28, 2013 ---------------------------------

Although they are fine for most every other application,
I no longer endorse the Logitech F_ series controllers as being the best replacement
for the officially supported MADDEN PC controllers.

Based on the information contained in this post
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14682#p38482
which describes undesirable Logitech F_ series analog stick behavior,
the best available replacement controllers are the PlayStation3 controllers.

My best guess is that PS3 controllers have two classifications:
Clones - post as "PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller"
Generics - post using other names, e.g. "Afterglow controller for PS3"

Use the MotioninJoy DS3 drivers for clone PS3 controllers:
Here's how to use a PS3 controller (clone) on Madden 08 PC http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3755

Use the registry mod method for the generic PS3 controllers which turns them into fully working Logitech clones:
My (generic) PS3 controller works great with MADDEN!!! http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4521&start=30#p21154

Available for about a mere $12, this Snakebyte PS3 dual shock controller clone is a really great deal!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snakebyte-PS3 ... 3/21063198

Now that I have figured out how to make the latest MiJ drivers run on my XP installation (as well as on Vista)
I am unreservedly enthusiastic about recommending the Snakebyte PS3 controller as a logical replacement for a worn out Logitech Dual Action.

The only downside is that once the controller is setup using the MiJ drivers,
MADDEN recognizes the Snakebyte as a XBOX 360 controller,
and then displays the XBOX controller button icons. :o
Seeing those XBOX icons may not be a problem for you like they are for me.
But if they are, then at this link are some TexMod packages
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14605&p=37726#p37724
to change the XBOX controller button and offensive playbook diagram icons into Logitech or PlayStation icons.

If I could find a cheaper generic PS3 controller then I'd suggest using that,
because the XBOX controller icon display is not an issue when using them.
But at $20 with no rumble, and with crap quality, that GameStop (Afterglow) generic is not a good deal.
The R2 switch on it is already failing.
Perhaps the Snakebyte will also prove to be a shoddy stick, but at $12 that would be a bit more understandable.

----------------------------------- update March 3, 2013 ---------------------------------

I am pleased that SONY made the correct decision to continue with their traditional design wisdom in their PlayStation4 controller.

Image ;)

chopperdave6609 has provided some useful information concerning generic XBOX controllers and MADDEN,
which sooner or later may be of use to those of you accustomed to those annoyingly perverted form factor gamepads.

@ viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14678#p38662
chopperdave6609 wrote:My controller is not an official Microsoft Xbox 360 controller, it's an Airflo 360 controller. Licensed by Microsoft to work as a 360 controller, but not made by them. {snip}

I figured out that Windows 7 was seeing the Airflo as just that; an Airflo 360 controller, and not an official Xbox 360 controller. I didn't think this would matter at first, since the Airflo was seen by other games as a 360 controller in general. These other games were more recent releases, however, so maybe their programmed better to take a larger variety of Xbox 360 controllers than just the default Microsoft model.

I did some research here and at other places online, and found out about modifying the Windows 7 registry to disguise a controller as another controller, basically. Here's what I did to make my Airflo 360 controller compatible with Madden 08 on Windows 7. I'm not sure if this will work with other third-party Xbox 360 controllers, so please, if you want to do this, *do it at your own risk*.

Note: From what I read online, it was suggested that you back up your registry before making any modifications to it.
1. Control Panel -> Devices and Printers -> right clicked on my controller -> Game Controller Properties. I took note of my controller's name.
2. Start -> type "regedit" -> clicked regedit.
3. Edit -> Find... I typed in the name of my third party 360 controller (Xbox Airflo wired controller, in this case)
4. I found all the instances of my controller, and right clicked the property with its name and clicked "modify", and replaced the value data with "XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)" (without quotations). I did this for every instance of Xbox Airflo wired controller I could find.
5. I started Madden 08, went to my controller settings, and saw that "Gamepad" changed to "Xbox 360 controller".

I tested the game for over an hour, and it controls very well. Again, I believe this is only for third party Xbox 360 wired controllers that work well with other games, but show up as a generic gamepad in Madden 08. Because I only have the Airflo 360 controller to test this out on, I can only confirm that the Airflo Xbox 360 controller will work with this.

----------------------------------- update September 10, 2013 ---------------------------------

In this post : Madden 08 - Gigaware Gamepad - Right Analog Stick Problem
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15280&p=44964#p44964
Donavon makes us aware of the $17.99 Gigaware® USB Wired Controller for PC available at Radio Shack.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3964949
This is a 100% Logitech Dual Action compatible controller, once the Windows registry is informed. :o

I just returned from my local Micro Center to get a new hard drive and saw a new product on the shelf.
There are a whole lot more Radio Shacks across the land than Micro Centers,
but if you are fortunate enough to live near a Micro Center,
then the $8.99 TTX Tech PC Controller Wired might be a better choice.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/3875 ... ller_Wired
I say might, because I have not actually bought one to test,
but I'd bet $8.99 that its a another PS3 generic,
therefore totally compatible with the Logitech Dual Action after the registry controller name update.
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:36 pm

UPDATE: October 20, 2013
In addition to the XBOX series of controllers being MADDEN compatible,
any of the currently available devices in the foillowing list are identical
as it pertains to the physical configuration of button and axis mappings,
and all will directly work with MADDEN 08,
although the registry name hack may need to be performed for some of them.

Logitech Dual Action compatible
Gigaware USB Wired Controller for PC
Afterglow Controller for PS3
Thrustmaster Ferrari Controller
Thrustmaster T-Wireless Controller

In addition to the above, the complete compatible list contains any controller
marketed as a PC controller AND has the buttons labeled 1234 @ WSEN,
or marketed as a PS3 (PlayStation 3) compatible controller that is not identified as a PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller by Windows®.

Other gamepads such as any generic PC controller with the 1234 buttons @ NESW,
or any PS3 controller with rumble,
will not work with MADDEN unless the user wishes to memorize non standard button and stick inputs,
or uses the MotionInJoy utility for supported PS3 controllers with dual shock (rumble).

The buttons on this unit sums it up best for me.
Thrustmaster always was one of the better manufacturers. ;)

UPDATE: August 19, 2013

My daughter's F510 has started exhibiting the exact same behavior that is described here.
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/PC-Gaming ... d-p/820801

Stay away from the F510 and F710 as well.
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/PC-Gaming ... 610/page/9

New-10.png
New-10.png (40.27 KiB) Viewed 27252 times

The F310 is the model replacement for the Dual Action gamepad. The button's colorful appearance was created to reflect this controller's split personality. With a flick of a switch on the bottom, this controller emulates a Windows XBOX controller. However this functionality is hidden from most users, as Logitech does not include any drivers to enable this. If you are running XP or Vista then when you flick the switch, the controller goes dead. I've read that lots of folks returned this controller thinking it had broken, not even knowing the switch somehow got moved or that the switch was even there. If you have a newer version of Windows, then the gamepad is recognized as a (Windows XBOX) X-Input compatible controller, and it has the drivers.

Many newer Windows games support an XBOX style controller, although most games still use the Direct Input compatible gamepads. I suppose that Microsoft does not have any interest in supporting XP much, which is probably why I had such a hard time even learning about the new Logitech X-Input gamepad drivers for XP. There were a lot paths to bad solutions, such as the X-Input Driver for Microsoft Common Controller, but finally after a long chase I tracked down the real goods. In case your version of Windows doesn't have the X-Input drivers for the Logitech gamepads, here are the missing links:
Windows XP & Vista (32-bit): http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/9/4/69446ACF-E625-4CCF-8F56-58B589934CD3/Xbox360_32Eng.exe
Windows Vista (64-bit): http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/9/4/69446ACF-E625-4CCF-8F56-58B589934CD3/Xbox360_64Eng.exe

With these drivers, one should be able to use a Windows XBOX controller with MADDEN FF/FI 13. I haven't tested it with a real XBOX gamepad. However I did test PC MADDEN with a new Logitech in the X-Input mode, and the button layout is not right. And remember the muscle memory problem will be there for long time PC MADDEN players using real XBOX controllers because of their swapped D-pad and left analog stick (I don't see a MODE switcher button on the XBOX controller). On the other hand, XBOX MADDEN players moving to the PC would be happier than a pig in slop, if this works as I think that it will. Also there's the somewhat complicated option to use a PS3 controller on the PC. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3755 The real bottom line is that most console users can accommodated when playing MADDEN FF/FI 13.

Besides the real handy X-Input mode, there are four other functional differences between the legacy Logitech Dual Action and the current Logitech Gamepad F310.
· One, the analog stick yokes changed from squarish to round.
· Two, the lower two shoulder triggers went from digital to analog, a significant and needed change. This allows the F310 in X-Input mode to fully emulate the Nintendo GameCube controller in Dolphin. Now Mario can move while spraying, as well as modulate the spray pressure in Super Mario Sunshine, something impossible with the Dual Action's digital (0 or 100%) shoulder triggers.
· Three, it looks like there's some sort of XBOX compatible center flat button with the Logitech logo on it.
· Four, the rubber grips were eliminated.

The important thing for those of us with years of practice with the standard MADDEN buttons, is that the button layout on the Gamepad F310 is the same as that of the Dual Action, and will not mess up our muscle memories.

Only if you use the Project 64, PCSX2, or Dolphin emulators would I recommend that you purchase the Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 MSRP $34.99. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/rumble-gamepad-f510

The F510 is a fine stick, my daughter loves hers. She banged up a X-Kim pretty fast, and so far it looks like this one will work better longer.

New-11.png
New-11.png (64.84 KiB) Viewed 27252 times

It looks similar to the F310, with rubber grips and an extra button to switch the single added feature of rumble (force feedback). How I wish that force feedback had been included in MADDEN NFL PC, but that is only a small lack in a great football simulation.

Rounding out the trio of PC MADDEN compatible Logitech controllers is the Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710 MSRP $49.99 http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/wireless-gamepad-f710

New-12.png
New-12.png (55.56 KiB) Viewed 27249 times

To the F710 model I definitely say NO! It's a cordless F510 in a silver case and wireless transmitter/receiver. There are too many cons and not enough pros. PROS: * No cord to get in your way. CONS: * It is too expensive. * You can lose a game if the wireless signal gets interfered with or dropped at the wrong time. * The USB dongle signal receiver can get misplaced. * You'll always have to replace batteries, especially with rumble use. * Added radiation exposure.

Gridiron
MVP

Re: What controller should I get?

Postby Gridiron » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:45 pm

So why do I advise acquiring the Logitech F310 over the myriad of cheaper PC gamepads?

New-13.png
New-13.png (176.57 KiB) Viewed 27252 times

It's because I don't want you to make a mistake and get what looks to be a nice buy on a controller, like the X-KIM Model GPTL-01GM, thinking it will work for you with MADDEN. At under $15 it's a good buy for a decent dual analog wired rumble gamepad.

I use the GPTL-01GM with console emulators, which all allow the remapping of the gamepad controls as I see fit. Yes, the X-KIM is recognized as a "standard" USB gamepad controller by Windows, and yes it will operate MADDEN FF/FI 13. But don't go there. You see, unlike the consoles, there never was any standard for Windows gamepads. Therefore they come in many configurations. The closest that there ever was to a standard gamepad on the PC platform was the Logitech Dual Action.

I think that in the near future the Windows XBOX gamepad controller will become the PC standard. But for now, you just have to figure out what is best for your needs. And high among those needs is to develop the correct muscle memory, so you can effectively play MADDEN on all the popular systems. Notice that on all of those low-end gamepads, the 1, 2, 3, 4 buttons are arranged differently than on the Logitech controllers? That is a BIG problem. I refuse to try to train my limited brain around the realtime remapping necessary to effectively use one of those controllers while playing MADDEN.

Rotate the buttons 90º and flip them over???

Homey don't play that.

I can see the logic behind the Asian rim manufacturing companies deciding to number the buttons clockwise starting at the north position, it certainly seems better than the button numbering layout used on the Logitechs, which is definitely weird. So the new gamepads are not inferior, just incompatible with this legacy application.

For some reason, most of these dual stick gamepad controllers provide a MODE switch to swap the D-pad and left analog stick. I will not recommend that anyone buy one of these cheap sticks for MADDEN, until the manufacturers start providing another switch to remap the buttons to the emerging standard, or they include a software driver to do the same thing.

I have concluded after reading many pages on the web, that a general software solution for button remapping is a hideously complex undertaking, and will not be accomplished by the faint of heart. Utilities such as Xpadder can only map the gamepad buttons to keyboard or mouse input. I wish I could find that one page which contained a description of the technical hurdles in creating a button remapping software utility program for a controller. I did find that RustyHearts forum where they have been struggling with a solution to their gamepadconfig.exe problem for over a year. http://rustyhearts-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=147891 Ironically (as far as I know), only Logitech supplies their users with gamepad software containing this functionality.

But wait you say, doesn't MADDEN on the PC support controller button remapping? Well if you select from the game's main MENU > PROFILES > CONTROL CONFIG, then you'll see a nice user interface which indicates that users can remap the various game actions to alternate controller buttons. That menu is a fraud. :evil: It does not work. No matter what button numbers you enter there, after finishing when you press the 1 button on your controller, the game process a 1, and NOT what it is supposed to be remapped to (4). And don't even think about assigning anything to either one of the analog stick buttons, unless you are looking for a quick way to leave MADDEN. :twisted:

For a program this legendary, from such an established software house, selling bugs this obvious is inexcusable, almost reprehensible. Good design dictates that a game this complex is supposed to process controller button remapping. Not the controller, not some utility driver running in Windows, but the game simulator. This functionality was also broken in the MADDEN NFL games released on the other platforms at the time, and it very well still may be dysfunctional. http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/96202.page However it isn't as big of an issue there, since there are de facto controller standards for the consoles. I continue to look for a solution to the controller button remapping, with my latest efforts focusing on registry hacking. Wish me luck.

And don't make the easy mistake of buying anything less than a dual analog controller. If you see something like this one,

New-14.png
New-14.png (23.92 KiB) Viewed 27252 times

or the ACME shown in the group of six above, skip it. Even if the buttons were in the correct position, it would not work with MADDEN on the PC, or pretty much any other game worth playing, except for Texas Hold'em. ;)

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 pm

It's finally football season and there may be a lot of rust in the land.

MADDEN NFL 08 game controls reference sheets viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4401&p=19506#p19506

all offensive plays on one 8½" x 11" sheet
all defensive plays on the second sheet

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Postby Rixster67r » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:41 pm

I know the logitech has the same button configuration as a PS3......I am pretty happy with my logitech's

PML17
Hall of Fame

Postby PML17 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Gridiron, thanks for the write up! I got a F310 at Target for $20, but I can't get over the bugs in the PC version. :(
Retired from the Fourm. I check back in once a month, sorry in advance for late replies.

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Postby ycleped » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:04 am

Which is the best controller for someone who has an xbox 360, wants sprint to be the right trigger without it messing up the snap button and wr number 1 button, juke/rip and swim to be left and right on the right stick, power move up, all the pre-snap buttons to be right, and basically everything be the same??? I know some of the newer functions won't be included, but I'd like one that almost completely resembles the xbox 360 controller. Any suggestions?
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:35 am

CaptainJ wrote:Which is the best controller for someone who has an xbox 360, wants sprint to be the right trigger without it messing up the snap button and wr number 1 button, juke/rip and swim to be left and right on the right stick, power move up, all the pre-snap buttons to be right, and basically everything be the same??? I know some of the newer functions won't be included, but I'd like one that almost completely resembles the xbox 360 controller. Any suggestions?

If you are indicating that you want to play PC MADDEN using the XBOX controller button configuraton, then sure, no problem at all there Captain.

First you need to purchase a new Logitech F310.

Second, if you plug the controller with the X-D switch in the X position into your computer and it is not recognized, then you need the X-Input drivers linked above.

Third, you need to download and run the Logitech Profiler to remap your buttons and save the game profile.

Your problem solved.

If you don't want to spend the $20-25 on a Logitech, then for now you can probably do the same thing with a generic gamepad and the Pinnacle Game Profiler.
If the PGP were only $15, I'd consider buying it, but they want too much. The PGP does provide a 30 day free trial though.

So for now I am trying to figure out how to change my computer's registry so that the Logitech Profiler will recognize my X-Kim.
So far I have Windows thinking the X-Kim is a Logitech Rumblepad 2, but the Profiler is not so easily fooled.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:57 am

PMan17 wrote:Gridiron, thanks for the write up! I got a F310 at Target for $20, but I can't get over the bugs in the PC version. :(

I am pleased that you appreciate it man.

I just want everyone on the same page, and it's the least that I could contribute to this fine community.

What bugs?

PML17
Hall of Fame

Postby PML17 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Gridiron wrote:
PMan17 wrote:Gridiron, thanks for the write up! I got a F310 at Target for $20, but I can't get over the bugs in the PC version. :(

I am pleased that you appreciate it man.

I just want everyone on the same page, and it's the least that I could contribute to this fine community.

What bugs?

Mostly the comeback code, but also random player movement, uniforms not getting dirty. I really hate the last one though, because a all white uniforms shouldn't be white all game. It may be NICK's uniforms, or that I need to patch the game. I'm going to install again and patch it when I get home from work and try it with and without NICK's uniforms.
Retired from the Fourm. I check back in once a month, sorry in advance for late replies.

Return to “FAQs”