What controller should I get?

tinpanalley
All-Pro

Re: What controller should I get?

Postby tinpanalley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:24 pm

TriHard wrote:What you can do is use Steam, add the game as a non-Steam game on Steam, then remap the layout.
Oh, really? Interesting, I had no idea you could do that. I don't even know what Steam is. Never used it.

Sponsor

Sponsor

TriHard
Veteran

Postby TriHard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:06 pm

tinpanalley wrote:
TriHard wrote:What you can do is use Steam, add the game as a non-Steam game on Steam, then remap the layout.
Oh, really? Interesting, I had no idea you could do that. I don't even know what Steam is. Never used it.

I would never thought anyone into PC gaming hasn't heard of Steam nowadays.

Download link: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

tinpanalley
All-Pro

Postby tinpanalley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:15 pm

TriHard wrote:I would never thought anyone into PC gaming hasn't heard of Steam nowadays. Download link: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

I've heard of it, but there are various factors here. It's off topic to this thread so I won't bore you. :)
Thanks for the link. I had a look, I'll check it out in more detail, but from what I'm reading I'm not likely to get it.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:53 pm

tinpanalley wrote:
TriHard wrote:I would never thought anyone into PC gaming hasn't heard of Steam nowadays. Download link: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

I've heard of it, but there are various factors here. It's off topic to this thread so I won't bore you. :)
Thanks for the link. I had a look, I'll check it out in more detail, but from what I'm reading I'm not likely to get it.

Not likely to get it? I assumed Steam was pretty much required for PC gaming now. I have over 200 games on Steam. Every member of my family uses Steam. Granted, we use Origin, GOG, and UPlay as well, but none more often than Steam. We haven't even bought a game on disc in years.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

TriHard
Veteran

Postby TriHard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:21 pm

RevanFan wrote:
tinpanalley wrote:

Not likely to get it? I assumed Steam was pretty much required for PC gaming now. I have over 200 games on Steam. Every member of my family uses Steam. Granted, we use Origin, GOG, and UPlay as well, but none more often than Steam. We haven't even bought a game on disc in years.

I know a few cavemans that still playing wolf 3d using floppy disks...

tinpanalley
All-Pro

Postby tinpanalley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:22 pm

TriHard wrote:I know a few cavemans that still playing wolf 3d using floppy disks...

Ok, that's too old-school even for me.
But I dig it and I'd try it maybe once. :lol:
Then I'd just get myself DOSbox and play it like that.

justwannaplayplz000
Rookie

Postby justwannaplayplz000 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:32 pm

has anybody figured out a way to use the triggers from an xbox controller, trying to play with my elite but i can't seem to be able to button map to the triggers

dhetter
Rookie

Postby dhetter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:46 pm

I now play madden 18 online through xbox one but when I am at work I would like to play this on my laptop. Unfortunately when I try to simulate the same button functions on pc as the madden on xbox one, it is impossible. I end up having to hike the ball with the right trigger and I cant make everything the same. If I were to try to play this way, my madden 18 game would get all messed up and I would be pressing the wrong buttons. Is there anyway to duplicate the xbox one madden 18 controller function on this madden 08 pc game?

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:16 am

dhetter wrote:I now play madden 18 online through xbox one but when I am at work I would like to play this on my laptop. Unfortunately when I try to simulate the same button functions on pc as the madden on xbox one, it is impossible. I end up having to hike the ball with the right trigger and I cant make everything the same. If I were to try to play this way, my madden 18 game would get all messed up and I would be pressing the wrong buttons. Is there anyway to duplicate the xbox one madden 18 controller function on this madden 08 pc game?

There might be a way. I don't have XBOX one, so I don't know the answer.
However, I may offer a peice of advice. Get yourself a 360 controller. That's all I've ever used for '08pc. The triggers function properly, "A" to snap/hike.
You can find them at reasonable prices, nowadays.
If there are any "retro/used game stores" in your area, go there first. If not grab one from ebay.
I recommend an XBOX brand controller first. But, I also have a used Afterglow 360 controller that I like very much for '08pc.

Best of luck

tpfitz
Rookie

Postby tpfitz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:55 pm

I have an Xbox One PC Bluetooth Controller.

This is how I got my Madden 08 to recognize it, and all the buttons do what they are supposed to do.

1. Win+R to open Run command
2. Type "regedit" into the dialog box and click OK
3. Navigate through the registry to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM
4. Click on each VID_xxxx@PID_xxxx folder (x=number) until you find one whose OEMName key reads XBOX ONE or whatever controller
5. Double Click OEM Name and replace "XBOX ONE" or whatever it exactly reads with "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" without quotes.
6, Exit out of the Registry and reconnect Xbox One controller.
7. Start Madden. Madden should now see the Xbox One controller as an Xbox 360 Controller.

Now, for some people who have tried other methods, included programs that make new .dll's or for people who have replaced drivers, etc... truth be told, either you will have to 100% UNDO everything you have done, or do a fresh Windows install to make sure in most cases. I have read other people having issues after trying other methods, and I on a past attempt I had issues because I had tried so many other programs and drivers.

I just happened to have a fresh install of Windows, and did this fix from the beginning ... and it worked flawlessly. I'm on Windows 10, latest update as of posting.

Return to “FAQs”